Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    The immigrants you speak of were so few and far between that little was done about the issue. Perhaps the sparse collection of a few European immigrants did help to ease along further multi-cultural intentions, however that stills holds no weight when asking "Anyone feel this country is too multi-racial?".

You said that Britain had been multi-racial for 200 years,which is factually incorrect, as an attempt to justify the way things are now, which as I see holds no relation whatsoever to the current situation we are in.
    It dose not matter the size of the community the fact is that they were there and were the foundations of a multicultraul society. yes my statement does hold basis because the fact that these migrants were noticed in the public eye suffering the same inherent kind of hostility many of them face today.Migrant Britain is what it is because of these people. It is not factually incorrect, there history proves multiculturalism existed. Therefore to say that Britain has been multi cultural/racial, no matter what the scale, is factually true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I'm somewhat sure Teshla got what i meant :unsure:

I was actually playing on the pun "i wish they worked and didn't steal our jobs" which you seemed to have missed :p:

Lol... I indeed missed it. Damn my low reading-intentionally-terrible-spelling skills!

(Original post by anisha.doshi)
    :rofl: That backfired a bit...:p:
    Not my fault the immigrants with their terrible English can't read what i write.

ReputationRep:
    **** off, i just got back from newcastle and its hardly a melting pot. there's plenty more white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    No/Yes/Maybe/Meh/Carrots/Getting sick of these repetitive threads.
    Completely off topic, but is the comic in your sig from a specific webcomic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    It dose not matter the size of the community the fact is that they were there and were the foundations of a multicultraul society. yes my statement does hold basis because the fact that these migrants were noticed in the public eye suffering the same inherent kind of hostility many of them face today.Migrant Britain is what it is because of these people. It is not factually incorrect, there history proves multiculturalism existed. Therefore to say that Britain has been multi cultural/racial, no matter what the scale, is factually true.
    The foundations of a multicultural society? That is pushing it; these European immigrants were few and far between and would often choose to adapt to our culture and completely forget their own as a result of such small numbers. This is in stark contrast to the current immigration waves we are witnessing, which with them carry people fundamentally determined not to integrate or assimilate with the native culture. In a way,why should they? They come from a different civilisation,unlike the tiny amount of European immigrants you referred to.

Multiculturalism is not just a set of different cultures existing together- by travelling from the North to the South of the country you could always see various distinctions, albeit united under one general common British culture. Multiculturalism as we know is a government initative designed specifically to mix cultures and celebrate minority cultures equally,if not more, than the native one. This has not been an idea vocalised before 1948,at least.

given that the UK is 92% white, your strong comments appear far too hyperbolic.

ReputationRep:
    I like the way that your against multiracial Britain, but also against foreign white europeans!

WTF!!!

Not my fault the immigrants with their terrible English can't read what i write.
    I have no words :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    i agree with you. I like living in England, and much as i like diversity, i'm going to always want english to be the majority ... i'm not sure why, but i do.

So it does make me sad when i think, London will one day perhaps have ethnic english in the minority.

(Original post by anisha.doshi)
    I have no words :indiff:
    Thus proving that you immigrants can't speak better english than us native blue blooded Britons :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show
    To those who don't understand by brand of sarcasm, i am infact Indian

Thus proving that you immigrants can't speak better english than us native blue blooded Britons :awesome:
    Oh MA BAD SORREEE!!!!1111one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)
    What really annoyed be at Christmas, 2 Years ago was a little incident that happened down my was then, local train station.

It was a small station, yet still served by InterCity class services. In the only waiting room we had the friendly chaps who run the place decided to lift the spirits of the many that travelled through the station on a daily basis, by putting up a Christmas Tree.

Great Looked fabulous. Then a foreigner who was visiting the country for a two week. Decided it was offensive to their religion and put in a formal complaint. Subsquently, the Christmas Tree was removed, much to the disappointment of everyone who enjoyed the Christmas Spirit it brought.

Well to be honest, I was fuming about it. Why should the tree have been removed when Christianity is the religion of this Country...?? :mad:

I'm not saying i'm racist, but seriously... If you don't like Christmas Tree's because it's offensive to your religion... Then don't come to this country!

Simple Really
    You know what pisses me off more? People who blame the "foreigner's". It's not like the person you described had the power to take the Xmas tree down. It was a government official who did it. Why not blame them aswell?

If I was the official I would've refused to take it down, because it made the majority happy. Seems like it was the official at fault not just the foreigner.

ReputationRep:
    Why do racists feel the need to pretend not to be racists? Do they think they're fooling anybody? They are, after all, usually entirely unable to keep their views to themselves - do they somehow believe that people are incapable of ascribing negative characteristics to political views without them being labelled?

I suppose it's probably just self-delusion.

(Original post by Shake 'n Bake)
    You know what pisses me off more? People who blame the "foreigner's". It's not like the person you described had the power to take the Xmas tree down. It was a government official who did it. Why not blame them aswell?

If I was the official I would've refused to take it down, because it made the majority happy. Seems like it was the official at fault not just the foreigner.
    Indeed, it would be the official concerned who was responsible entirely for the situation.

That said, I've stopped believing any of those 'the council fined us for flying a flag!' or 'this school has banned christmas!' type claims, because I have found every single one of them to be either entirely unsubstantiated or complete bull-****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Who gives a damn.

People should just realise that the future of humanity is integration, not indigenous peoples sticking to their 'homeland'. That sort of psyche is a bad memory from the past, and ought to stay there.
    I don't agree. It's nice to know where you came from and sometimes its nice to live how the indigenous people from your land live. You really don't know where you are going until you know where you have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    The foundations of a multicultural society? That is pushing it; these European immigrants were few and far between and would often choose to adapt to our culture and completely forget their own as a result of such small numbers. This is in stark contrast to the current immigration waves we are witnessing, which with them carry people fundamentally determined not to integrate or assimilate with the native culture. In a way,why should they? They come from a different civilisation,unlike the tiny amount of European immigrants you referred to.

Multiculturalism is not just a set of different cultures existing together- by travelling from the North to the South of the country you could always see various distinctions, albeit united under one general common British culture. Multiculturalism as we know is a government initative designed specifically to mix cultures and celebrate minority cultures equally,if not more, than the native one. This has not been an idea vocalised before 1948,at least.
    The Europeans that migrated were far and few between in the 18th century however this acted as a pull factor for those to come in the 19th. Why not comee here if your relatives are settled and prospering? Maybe these migrants were not as large as those we are seeing today but there were hundreds of thousands of them before migration laws were made more stricter. These migrants show a pre existing multi culture, because these must have intergarted with the British before 1945, even if it wasnt massive. Just because it wasnt recognised by the government doesnt mean that it wasnt there.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't, I like diversity.

ReputationRep:

I think your missing the point dear...

Under the legislation of this country, it had to be taken down because somebody complained, and guess what... No Complaint = Christmas Tree = Happy Passengers

I'm not blaming the foreigners. I just think if we have to so respect to them, we should get it back!

And to be honest, there are bigger things to complain about... Like the train that day being 1 hour late!

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree. It's nice to know where you came from and sometimes its nice to live how the indigenous people from your land live. You really don't know where you are going until you know where you have been.
    I'm mixed race. I was born in Scotland, I've got half my family in Sub Saharan Africa and I've lived in the south of England for pretty much all my life. As far as I'm concerned, the geographical location of where you came from should have no basis on anything. It's a fluke. It's out of your hands.

I don't care what people in Scotland do. I don't care how they live (and I'm sorry, but it's a dubious claim to make that all indigenous people of a land live in the same way - such as you suggested). How I live should be influenced by things that I have done, that I have achieved and that I have worked for. Where I live should be my decision, based on where I want to go, not where it's felt that I 'belong', not where people I have never met have lived before me - people who I am related to by blood, but not by memory.

I know where I've been, I know where I came from. I don't care. I have no umbilical cords to a 'home'land.

It's the same for many mixed race people. Because we do not, by definition, have a pure lineage, we have no ultimate 'homeland', and we have to make our own.

I apologize if this came off as strong, but it's something I feel very strongly about, and hope you will appreciate this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    I always find that stat so hard to believe.
    That's because it's according to 8-year old census data, since when we have seen unrestricted migration within the European Union, millions coming in from outside the EU, and, of course, reproduction from those already settled. Also, there's the other issue which is that most ethnic minorities are all concentrated in the main cities, usually segregating themselves, understandably unwilling to adapt to British customs and values. You get a different perspective depending on where you live. If you're a middle-aged sheep-farmer in the Welsh countryside you hardly feel the negative effects of multiculturalism. Is it really a surprise that essentially all the BNP vote comes from inner-city areas (and some suburbs) where multiculturalism poses the most problems? It's evident on this forum also. Loads of the posh, out-of-touch "viva la revolucion" liberal kids on this site are the furthest away from this multiculturalism they seem to revere so much. Yet I get shouted down as talking nonsense. Har Har. :teeth:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.