Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed race myself and think it is a bit alarmist to claim whites are becoming a minority. That said, i'd rather promote integration than multiculturism. I'm not a fan of thinking along the lines of, "this is a muslim area" or "black area". It sometimes seems that immigrants don't actually want to live in the UK, they want to live in a version of their home country that has the economy of the UK. Bradford is probably an example of this. You can't obviously force someone to lose their culture, however i think some groups like blacks seem to accept british culture (and unfortunately american gangster culture) more readily than others. Asian parents tend to strongly instill asian culture on the children, sometimes to extremes. This may prevent their children from wanting to embrace british culture (obviously not in every case).

Overall, i think it might be a good idea to halt immigration for awhile and allow existing communities to integrate. I think this is in a sense what is happening now as most immigration seems to be eastern europeans that work and then return home, so business owners have the labour without recruitment from countries where the recruits are unlikely to go home.

I don't think it is as simple as racist or not racist and i can understand why some whites would get pissed off. I've been slightly annoyed when visiting London and realising that every waiter or barman has an eastern european accent or on a bus when everyone is speaking another language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    Completely off topic, but is the comic in your sig from a specific webcomic?
    I'm guessing its xkcd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    ive said this before, Britain has been multi-racial for 200 years its not going to change, and theres nothing wrong with it
    Uhm, Britain was sorta 95%+ white up until, what, the 70-ies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    Uhm, Britain was sorta 95%+ white up until, what, the 70-ies.
    immigration started around 1800, you dont have to be of black ethnicty to make multicultural makepup

ReputationRep:
    immigration started around 1800, you dont have to be of black ethnicty to make multicultural makepup
    Immigration was qute negligible up until the 60-ies or so, ESPECIALLY non-white immigration. I mean, sure there were like 200-300 thousand Caribbeans in the 60-ies, but in a population of some 50 million that's around 0.5%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    I was never denying churches outweigh other religious buildings in numbers in the UK, but that church attendance and general Christian values are so low in this country. Therefore it isn't accurate to call this a Christian country when the majority of the population aren't actual Christians - despite many claiming to be, often when it gives them an opportunity to snub another religion.

Ah, no. We like to believe that we - the people - own Britain (thereby the "religion of the people" being the one which the majority subscribe to) however that isn't so. Her Majesty, the dear ol' Queen, is the head (effectively "the owner" really) of England and its religion, due to the state and its religion being fused together by the Act of Supremacy and the Act of Uniformity in 1559 under Queen Elizabeth I, and those Acts are still very much in force now. She is the Head of the Church of England after all, and thereby England is a Christian country, because her Majesty wishes it so. Hence the Archbishops of Canterbury and York who the Queen herself appoints, I'm not aware of her electing representatives of other religions in Britain.

Edit: I think it's worth mentioning that there are Christian Bishops with seats in the House of Lords, too.

Charles however has expressed interest in making himself Head of all religions and making them all the 'official' religion after he is made King, but that hasn't been done yet.

All in all though this is one debate I'm glad I'm not particularly involved in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    Immigration was qute negligible up until the 60-ies or so, ESPECIALLY non-white immigration. I mean, sure there were like 200-300 thousand Caribbeans in the 60-ies, but in a population of some 50 million that's around 0.5%
    Thats a matter of opinion, personally i think european migration was important in shaping the ethinic makeup of Britain, the were more than just a few hundred thousand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I'm not racist and do not wish to sound like a BNP supporter but don't you feel white British people will become a minority sometime in the future. I was out in town today and I saw so many black and Asian people with a few whites chucked in lol. I've got nothing against people coming over here to live but the Government simply has let in far too many, including white Europeans.
    definitely, i think it has too many white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I'm not racist...
    The racist's favourite phrase

ReputationRep:
    I feel Angelina Jolie's home is too multiracial :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Thats a matter of opinion, personally i think european migration was important in shaping the ethinic makeup of Britain, the were more than just a few hundred thousand.
    No it's not a 'matter of opinion'. It's a matter of fact. There was a markedly minimal amount of "ghettoization", especially in light of today. The main ghettoes that existed were Jewish, and still the majority of Jews managed to integrate. Regardless of how you may think it is or isn't 'racist' the reason for segregation today is down to cultural and racial disparities on the part of both the immigrant population and native population. Yes, many do manage to integrate, but those who don't do so because it's a natural inclination to affiliate yourselves with people whom you share a similitude with. Just because 'race' is an un-PC, controversial issue that no-one likes addressing, it doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the sole causes of a segregated Britain. And no. There were just a few hundred thousand. A million at the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    The racist's favourite phrase
    That may possibly be so if you - or anyone on the planet - could even conclusively define it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, no, yeah, no, it doesn't matter. At least there will be more healthier people due to wider genetic variations in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    No it's not a 'matter of opinion'. It's a matter of fact. There was a markedly minimal amount of "ghettoization", especially in light of today. The main ghettoes that existed were Jewish, and still the majority of Jews managed to integrate. Regardless of how you may think it is or isn't 'racist' the reason for segregation today is down to cultural and racial disparities on the part of both the immigrant population and native population. Yes, many do manage to integrate, but those who don't do so because it's a natural inclination to affiliate yourselves with people whom you share a similitude with. Just because 'race' is an un-PC, controversial issue that no-one likes addressing, it doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the sole causes of a segregated Britain. And no. There were just a few hundred thousand. A million at the most.

Bull ****, your taking out of context and expanding half of what i have said. You like most others seem to think migration is only important after 1945. Whats the difference bewteen racial and ethnic discontent from now to a 100- 200 years ago ? none, they were disliked for being here for the reasons identical today. Britian is the way it is because has neglected and abused minorties since they arrived in this country. We the British are the problem, for all the sterotypical reasons that have existed for 200 years.

ReputationRep:
    Europeans integrate easily in a generation. However, there weren't that many Europeans moving to Britain either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Ah, no. We like to believe that we - the people - own Britain (thereby the "religion of the people" being the one which the majority subscribe to) however that isn't so. Her Majesty, the dear ol' Queen, is the head (effectively "the owner" really) of England and its religion, due to the state and its religion being fused together by the Act of Supremacy and the Act of Uniformity in 1559 under Queen Elizabeth I, and those Acts are still very much in force now. She is the Head of the Church of England after all, and thereby England is a Christian country, because her Majesty wishes it so. Hence the Archbishops of Canterbury and York who the Queen herself appoints, I'm not aware of her electing representatives of other religions in Britain.

Edit: I think it's worth mentioning that there are Christian Bishops with seats in the House of Lords, too.

Charles however has expressed interest in making himself Head of all religions and making them all the 'official' religion after he is made King, but that hasn't been done yet.

All in all though this is one debate I'm glad I'm not particularly involved in.
    You've completely missed it. My point was that church attendance is pathetically low, opening the debate as to whether this really is a Christian country in terms of the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinjaing)
    Yeah, no, yeah, no, it doesn't matter. At least there will be more healthier people due to wider genetic variations in general.
    Finally, no more inbreeding.:happy2:

ReputationRep:
    south coast & especially cornwall, you dont see many non whites there, but i dont see how it has got out of control/significant yet?

I don't agree with immigrants coming to the UK, not working, and claiming welfare.

However the obvious solution to this in my mind is to cut back on welfare and ensure that only immigrants who are here to work are welcome - and entry would be granted on a point based system, i.e. based on their use to society.

This lets immigration policy adapt to changes, e.g. when public servises are strained then immigration would slow down - but when pensions are needed for the current generation but they've not had enough children to support the taxes needed for those pensions, immigration increases.

Ideologically: I want open borders and don't believe the government has any right to tell people where to live. But that isn't my policy or my stance, its simply not possible, its pure ideology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.