Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eco Towns. Another stroke of genius from New Labour. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes great idea.
    It's not like they are replacing existing towns that operate on existing sources of energy with an ecotown, even that would make more sense, they are simply 'adding' an ecotown to a depopulated area in an already over-populated region. Vapid gesture politics for the the millionth time.

Pure genius. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a fairly good idea actually.

The whole point is to expand our settlements without too great an ecological impact. Building such a thing in an overpopulated area in order to lessen the burden on housing etc is the obvious thing to do. I certainly don't see how allowing the building of thousands upon thousands of new homes is 'gesture politics' by any means.

My only worry is that the proposals don't go far enough; or that the government makes the same design mistakes as they did when they created the early new towns.

ReputationRep:
    these are happening near me and always seem to be on east midlands today..

good idea, shame about the idiots worried it'll "ruin the countryside"

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was going to have to argue with someone when I saw the topic title. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    good idea, shame about the idiots worried it'll "ruin the countryside"
    Well, that's the challenge, I suppose: to ensure it doesn't.

I have fairly open countryside views from my home. Ask me what I think ruins the countryside: the sight of the beautifully built Victorian village nearby or the electricity pylons casually draped around and I'll say the latter, by a huge margin. Well built communities enhance the countryside - it's just a shame that we British seem incapable of building aesthetically pleasing communities any more.

Traditional design ftw.

ReputationRep:
    the eco towns, from what i heard today, should provide a good number of low skilled jobs too.
    I heard about these plans years ago, why has it taken so long to get started?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think it is a fairly good idea actually.

The whole point is to expand our settlements without too great an ecological impact. Building such a thing in an overpopulated area in order to lessen the burden on housing etc is the obvious thing to do. I certainly don't see how allowing the building of thousands upon thousands of new homes is 'gesture politics' by any means.

My only worry is that the proposals don't go far enough; or that the government makes the same design mistakes as they did when they created the early new towns.
    'Expand our settlements'? Why is that the point exactly? And how do you mean, 'lessen the burden on housing', elaborate? Surely you will just get more population and jobs, and hence people living there.
    It's gesture politics because it's wanting to be seen to be doing something environmentally 'beneficial' when it is at best 'neutral'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    'Expand our settlements'? Why is that the point exactly? And how do you mean, 'lessen the burden on housing', elaborate?
    I don't really see how I can elaborate on that. They are fairly clear statements.

Surely you will just get more population and jobs, and hence people living there.
    Yes, of course.

It's gesture politics because it's wanting to be seen to be doing something environmentally 'beneficial' when it is at best 'neutral'.
    I don't think you could build a town that is environmentally beneficial...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't really see how I can elaborate on that. They are fairly clear statements.
    No they are not. WTF is the point in 'expanding our settlements'? We are not the empire, we are not China or the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yes, of course.

I don't think you could build a town that is environmentally beneficial...
    Well, exactly. So how precisely, does it 'lessen the burden' on housing? No evasion please.

Again, evasion. My point is that it makes no sense and it is done as a gesture and not thought through.

ReputationRep:
    Well, exactly. So how precisely, does it 'lessen the burden' on housing? No evasion please.
    Because more houses reduce the demand for houses and lower costs.

Again, evasion. My point is that it makes no sense and it is done as a gesture and not thought through.
    I have evaded nothing. I have no idea what your point seems to be, but it's complete nonsense to suggest that building sustainable communities is not a good thing, and even greater nonsense to suggest that people somehow believe these communities are going to be economically beneficial in some way. What do you want the houses to do, produce oxygen? :rolleyes:

No they are not. WTF is the point in 'expanding our settlements'? We are not the empire, we are not China or the USA.
    Now you're just getting bizarre. I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you're a tool, were you beaten as a child? I certainly hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Because more houses reduce the demand for houses and lower costs.

I have evaded nothing. I have no idea what your point seems to be, but it's complete nonsense to suggest that building sustainable communities is not a good thing, and even greater nonsense to suggest that people somehow believe these communities are going to be economically beneficial in some way. What do you want the houses to do, produce oxygen? :rolleyes:

Now you're just getting bizarre. I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to start with that.
    Huh?
    You just admitted they would correspond to a population increase.
    that's the more people and more houses, same ratio of demand to supply.

It's good to build sustainable communities if they are in place of unsustainable ones, it's not good to build them in overcrowded areas just for the sake of it. I made that clear.

Well that's just stonewalling. Again, why do we need to 'expand our settlements' in what is a country with one of the highest population densities in the west. Certainly the region where they built them is even higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatcher)
    Wow you're a tool, were you beaten as a child? I certainly hope so.
    Well, coming for someone called Thatcher that doesn't surprise me, but actually the empire is dead, might be hard to swallow for you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, coming for someone called Thatcher that doesn't surprise me, but actually the empire is dead, might be hard to swallow for you.
    I'm really confused... why on earth have you brought the old empire into this? :confused:

On topic, I like the idea. It's good to see that the government have some decent plans. As long as they look aesthetic and blend with the countryside as Lib said.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, its called 'satire' if you hadn't noticed from the signature...how low is it anyway picking on peoples names?

Coming from a person called Chillaxer you're extremely stressed. Bridge goes both ways doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    the goverment are going to drop one in an old china clay pit down in kernow, which is a fantastic idea, a new settlement to ease the pressure on house prices (a very touchy subject down here), and being surrounded by clay spoil, the typically "ugly" energy efficient architecture will not ruin anybody's view (not that we should let NIMBY Britain stop progress).

also it wont be an attractive place to live, so for once local people may have a chance at buying local homes (shock horror!).

ED: LIB seems to be fairly spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Huh?
    You just admitted they would correspond to a population increase.
    that's the more people and more houses, same ratio of demand to supply.
    Er, again, what?

Are you suggesting I stated that building more houses will increase the population?

ReputationRep:
    Lib is making a fairly simple ******* point!

Building more towns, eases the over population of cities.

ReputationRep:
    We need new houses. Both because of population increase, and because of more people living as singles rather than as married couples.

Building those houses sustainable is a no-brainer surely?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.