Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Between Labour and Tories, who do you trust for finding you a job? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you think will be the best at preventing unemployment?
    Labour
    46.25%
    Conservative
    31.25%
    Both as bad as each other
    21.25%
    Both as good as each other!
    1.25%

ReputationRep:
    Youth unemployment is high at the minute and could become very high by christmas. Which political party do you most trust to prevent unemployment becoming more worse than it needs to be?

ReputationRep:
    I trust Labour to find me a job.

Created solely by ridiculous public spending,which my taxes will be paying back for the next 20-odd years

ReputationRep:
    For youth jobs I'd say it was Labour. Without them we wouldn't have the current minimum wage either.

If it was finding graduate jobs in the city though, that might be a little harder..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    For youth jobs I'd say it was Labour.
    Yet the employment prospects for under 25s really couldn't be any worse than they are now...

Without them we wouldn't have the current minimum wage either.
    Which, of course, means less jobs available.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know. But what I know is that right now job prospects are appauling, whether that solely be a result of this current government or not... is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    The state doesn't owe you a job, heck if I was in government I could give everyone the task of digging a hole and refilling it and achieve full employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yet the employment prospects for under 25s really couldn't be any worse than they are now...

The fact that employment prospects for under 25s are so low now is due to the recession. I'm not so sure the economic situation would be any better under a Tory government.

ReputationRep:
    I trust the Tories more when it comes to letting businesses get on with creating jobs, if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Wouldn't mind to see factual evidence for this statement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the process of writing an e-mail of complaint about the lack of help I have received from the Job Centre since graduation. They owe me a month's JSA, the jobs they seem to think I'm interested in are appalling, they don't seem interested in the fact that I have a degree despite the fact that Labour are obsessed with EVERYONE getting a degree of some sort...

I'm with the Conservatives, although even if they're elected, I doubt much will change in time to help me with my job hunt.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you trust to find you a job? How about finding a job yourself!!!!

I don't think there are major differences between the parties on this front. I trust Labour to take unemployment more seriously than the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously labour, that's the whole policy of them. Conservatives could create jobs, but it's unlikely in this economic climate.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought it was down to the individual to get a job, rather than the Govt. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Who do you trust to find you a job? How about finding a job yourself!!!!

I don't think there are major differences between the parties on this front. I trust Labour to take unemployment more seriously than the Tories.
    Do you know how hard it is to find a job yourself without any help whatsoever from the state? I've spent a fortune on suitable clothing and travel costs in order to find a job, and I have under two hundred pounds left of my overdraft as a result. Job Seekers Allowance is supposed to cover such expenses, but apparently the service is so busy at the moment that people are waiting weeks for the financial support to come through. I went to the Job Centre today because I have yet to receive a payment (this is over three weeks on from my initial application), but I was told it could take another two weeks for my payment to come through. Until then, I have what little's left of my overdraft to cover my travel expenses (for some of the jobs I've applied for, it will cost me around £10 in train fare to get to an interview - that is if I'm lucky enough to get an interview) and all other general expenses.

Luckily I'm living at home with my parents at the moment, if I wasn't I wouldn't be able to afford to pay bills or even leave the house for a job interview. The system is ridiculous and offers little support for those who are actively looking for work. The government should have realised the pressures the Job Centre would face this year and should have hired extra staff to deal with the surge in applications for JSA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbee)
    I've always thought it was down to the individual to get a job, rather than the Govt. :confused:
    The government often create jobs though. People cannot find jobs if there are no jobs to be found. Yes there are some vacancies, but not enough for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbee)
    Please read my post (number 14) on this thread. It's incredibly hard to get a job without support from the government.

ReputationRep:
    Labour. Primarily because I'm an active member of the Labour party involved in organising campaigning and should be able to get work with an MP reasonably easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Unenmployment has been low from 1997 to 2008, depsite the introduction of MW. A few people would probably get jobs, yes. But it would mean millions would be paid on unfair wages of 2,3 and 4 pound an hour. Is it worth it? Not in my view.

ReputationRep:
    Labour. By a long shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    Labour. By a long shot.
    Indeed. Let's not forget the Tories record on unemployment. It amazes me that people are voting Tory on this issue.

Job seekers allowance is too low, though. Had it of been increased with earnings since the 1980's it would stand at £100, instead of the current £60 or so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.