Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

1. Should I apply to Oxbridge for Law? I got 12 A*s in my GCSEs, but I am not very confident about my AS level grades. If I end up with not stellar AS's, should I still apply?

2. Assuming I do decide to apply, even with the 'bad' AS grades, where should this be?

2.1. The Cambridge course seems to be distinctive from other unis only in that you'd be taught by experts in the field; otherwise, the content is much the same. The Oxford course is also fairly typical, except in the method of examination. So, I can't compare the two on the basis of degree structure/programme.

2.2 Cambridge will allow me to make up for my bad AS grades by giving me other opportunities to prove myself, e.g. the Cambridge Law Test, the interview and by asking for detailed information about me and my application. With Oxford, I may not even be invited to the interview because of my AS grades. However, I have heard Oxford gives GCSE grades more importance than does Cambrdige, so my GCSEs could save me at Oxford. So where will I be more able to offset my poor performance at AS level? -- this could be a deciding factor in my choice.

2.3 Are there any other ways I can separate the two unis and decide between them?

Thanks for reading the loooooong post! Obviously, points 2, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 don't apply if the answer to point 1 is 'No'.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah apply by all means. I know people who didn't perform as welll as they'd hoped at AS but still got in.. or at least got an interview. They don't base it entirely on grades and there are many other factors e.g. tests, interviews, personal statements (but apparently Cambridge don't focus that much on the PS). Overall - why not, you've got nothing to lose!
    I wouldn't make the choice between the two unis based on which looks more at GCSEs because you may get in, but to somewhere where you feel uncomfortable and end up disliking your experience there. Apply to the uni and college you feel is right for you, rather than basing it on statistics and rumour because most of these will be untrue anyway..
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you think you've done that badly you're probably better off applying to Oxford, because Cambridge will require you to put all your examination results, from AS, into their SAQ; something you fill out once you've applied to them through UCAS. As far as I know, with Oxford, if you don't cash your AS grades then all they have to go off is your predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    cambridge look far more at AS ums scores, so i would say oxford

ReputationRep:
    Depends how bad your AS levels are. Are we talking about AABB kind of bad or ABBC kind of bad?

If its the latter you don't have much chance, if its the former you do. Your best bet might be Cambridge, but I'm no expert. I only say that because they're more likely to give candidates with worser grades an interview - Oxford reject a lot before interview.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by xobile)
    1. Should I apply to Oxbridge for Law? I got 10 A*s in my GCSEs, but I am not very confident about my AS level grades. If I end up with not stellar AS's, should I still apply?
    Why not? They can only say no.

2. Assuming I do decide to apply, even with the 'bad' AS grades, where should this be?
    Which do you prefer?

2.2 Cambridge will allow me to make up for my bad AS grades by giving me other opportunities to prove myself, e.g. the Cambridge Law Test, the interview and by asking for detailed information about me and my application. With Oxford, I may not even be invited to the interview because of my AS grades. However, I have heard Oxford gives GCSE grades more importance than does Cambrdige, so my GCSEs could save me at Oxford. So where will I be more able to offset my poor performance at AS level? -- this could be a deciding factor in my choice.
    You should tend to assume that any rumours you hear are false. The two do differ in procedure slightly, but I promise you that both will care equally little about your GCSE grades. Cambridge are (purely statistically) a lot more likely to give you an interview than Oxford are, but you have roughly the same chance of getting into either. If nothing else, it's a bit perverse to be asking which of the country's two most prestigious universities you can trick into giving you a place in spite of poor grades.

More important is to ask yourself why you underperformed at AS. Is Oxford / Cambridge really the university for you if you found AS difficult? If you underperformed for other reasons, I don't see why it should affect your application provided you have a half-decent excuse and are predicted at least three As for A2.

ReputationRep:

2.3 Are there any other ways I can separate the two unis and decide between them?
    Where would you prefer to study for 3 years? Which area do you like more?

Regarding your AS Levels, I would wait for your results before making a judgement on if you have done 'badly'.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys! Some great points have been raised:

1. I do like both the places a lot, which is why my decision is much harder. If I was completely put off or wowed by one, then my decision woudl be easy, but I could imagine myself having fun in either place.

2. My question about which place might be more lenient towards me was not actually about 'tricking' the unis -- it was about choosing the place that will give me a more patient hearing and let me show my academic ability in other ways rather than jumping to conclusions based on AS grades. Sorry if it sounded like anything else.

3. It would be very helpful if someone could highlight actual differences in the degree programmes offered at the two unis so I have something oon which to base a more informed decision. I cannot see any differences as yet.

thanks again

ReputationRep:
    At Cambridge you end up studying slightly more subjects. But at Oxford you have nearly all your exams at the end of the three years. At Cambridge, you just sit the exams for your first and second year subjects at the end of the appropriate year and forget about them.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

1. Should I apply to Oxbridge for Law? I got 10 A*s in my GCSEs, but I am not very confident about my AS level grades. If I end up with not stellar AS's, should I still apply?

2.1. The Cambridge course seems to be distinctive from other unis only in that you'd be taught by experts in the field; otherwise, the content is much the same. The Oxford course is also fairly typical, except in the method of examination. So, I can't compare the two on the basis of degree structure/programme.

Thanks for reading the loooooong post! Obviously, points 2, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 don't apply if the answer to point 1 is 'No'.
    If you can't do well at AS, then I don't think there's any point.
    If it were the other way around, eg. bad GCSEs, but >90% in each AS, then you'd be fine

ReputationRep:
    for everyone saying: should he really bother applying if he can't do well at AS: I know loads of people Oxbridge with less than 10A*s at GCSE. In fact I believe the average is about 7. On the strength of that alone he should apply to Oxbridge.

OP if maximising your chances of getting in are your biggest concern: definitely apply to Oxford rather than Cambridge and don't declare your AS results. Cambridge want to know what you got for every single module grade taken at AS level whereas Oxford don't ask for it generally.

In my humble opinion you should definitely go for it. I think you are an extremely strong candidate who messed up his AS level year for reasons none of us know.

Also Oxford will allow you to make up for bad AS levels because you won't tell them what you got. Cambridge will be far more likely to very strongly penalise you for getting bad AS grades because they will know your UMS score for every single module.

You're about the first person I've told on these forums to go for it with Oxbridge.

I have a friend at Corpus Christi in Oxford doing law and she got 3A*s at GCSE, failed to meet her Durham offer in her A2 year (she got ABBB), reapplied and was still given an offer of AA. So you are vastly stronger than she was as a candidate and with that in mind you should apply to oxford and not declare your AS level grades. If they don't ask then they will probably assume you are on track for 3/4 As at A2 level.

So you are a vastly stronger candidate than her and a lot of people in their eyes if you apply to Oxford and don't declare your AS level results!

Also I found taking four subjects to A2 helped a lot because it meant I could afford to mess up one, so that might be something to take into account.

Don't get me wrong: if you have struggled with AS levels because you're not academically up to it then you will definitely fail your first year at Oxford. However I simply cannot believe that you are not academically up to doing AS levels having achieved 10A*s at GCSE and beating the average Oxonian in terms of those results anyway.

Good luck OP and just have faith in yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone: for the discouragement and encouragement... I didn't come to this forum to pose a question like a poll and just do what the majority thinks is right. What I came for was extra information or away of looking at it that I hadn't thought of before. So thank you all very much, at least my decision will be mre informed now. (oh and I mistyped my GCSE grades - I got 12 A*s, it's just that the '2' button is next to the '0' on the keyboadr)

ReputationRep:
    P.s. I would write your Personal Statement over the summer regardless of where you'd like to apply and then it's ready for September. I made the mistake of writing my PS and finishing it on 14th October. Also, if you've got 12 A*s at GCSE then you're probably going to do well at AS, despite thinking that you've done badly.. At AS I thought I'd failed miserably, but my results were fine! Good luck with it all.

ReputationRep:
    Our school says if you have good number of A*s and not high As in your subjects, then apply to oxford.

If you have very high module marks in your ASs but poor GCSEs, apply to cambridge.

If you have high UMS and good GCSEs just take your pick.

In your case I'd definitely apply for Oxford. Oxford doesn't see your module marks, so all they want is A predictions. If you don't have A predictions you're unlikely to stand a chance at any AAA law uni (and there are lots), let alone oxbridge. reading your post, I think you're probably a stronger oxford applicant.

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my year got into Oxford for Law, and applied with AS-levels ABBBC, neither did she have great GCSE'S 4-5 A*'s.

worth giving it try!

oh btw this person also did not meet thier offer which was AAAB, she got AABB resat one module and reaplied this year and still got accepted!!!!

ReputationRep:
    bad gcses good AS-----Cambridge
    good gcses ok AS------Oxford
    by the way let me just make this clear
    Oxbridge are NOT the be all and end all
    there are other perfectly great unis out there, you just need to look!!!!
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    is this good grade for cambride oxford for gcses 4 Bs , 3 As and 1 A*

ReputationRep:
    I say go LSE haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.