Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how do you change down properly?

like you are on a carriageway, 4th gear, approaching traffic lights. if you want to reduce speed before getting to the traffic lights, by not just braking and clutching down in 4th gear at the traffic light, what do you do??

do you do this..

...while on 4th gear, on 40mph
    ...leg off accelerator to reduce speed to 20mph
    ...clutch down and change to 2nd gear

or

...while on 4th gear, on 40mph
    ...leg off accelerator to reduce speed to 20mph
    ...leg on brakes gently while you clutch down and change to 2nd gear
    ...leg off both pedals and back on gas pedal

ReputationRep:
    From the modern approach to driving you don't need to change gears at all. Clutch down just before you stop to avoid stalling.

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to?

ReputationRep:
    well the first method would imply you lifted off way sooner, if you are going to 2nd gear then chances are you will need to be braking, so use the second technique. however, to give it a little twist, you should be braking, changing gear AND applying a little throttle to match engine:road speed. that will be the most efficient and smoothest method.

ReputationRep:
    You can actually just let off the gas slightly till you slowed down a bit, go to a lower gear and bring the clutch up slowly. However that will eventually knacker your cluth, and it is cheaper to replace brake shoes than a cluth. What you want to down is clutch down break a bit 3rd, clutch up slowly; or just leave the clutch down the whole way but NEVER do it in a test :p:

ReputationRep:
    i engage the clutch, put it in neutral, release the clutch and roll along when i know i'm going to stop. saves the most petrol!

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to but
    Brake and change to 3rd, brake down to 2nd, stop, put it into 1st ready for when you need to move. You can do a double change if you really want but it won't be as smooth.

Never put the clutch in unless you're changing gears or stopping completely. Your car will go forward faster and you will have no engine braking.

ReputationRep:
    As above. There is nothing wrong with using too high a gear. It won't stall the car until you get to very veyr low speeds. In fact, you should always use the highest gear you can because its more economical.

If you are stopping, you don't change down gears at all - brake down, clutch down, when you stop handbrake on, first gear and ready to go again.

If you are just reducing your speed, for example to slow from 40 to 20 because of parked cars, then you can stay in the highest gear possible until you need more power. If you were in 5th gear at 40, you might want to go down to 3rd or 4th gear at 20 because otherwise the engine won't be giving the car enough power to maintain its speed.

ReputationRep:
    Brake with the right foot, dip the clutch with the left foot, Whilst continuing to brake, smartly blip the throttle to raise the revs up to the level you would expect the new lower gear to cruise in, engage the new gear, lift the clutch, continue braking and changing down the box as required until you reach your target speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    You don't have to but
    Brake and change to 3rd, brake down to 2nd, stop, put it into 1st ready for when you need to move.

Never put the clutch in unless you're changing gears or stopping completely. Your car will go forward faster and you will have no engine braking.
    There is no real need to change down all the gears I don't think.
    I would say brake in 4th clutch down into 2nd and lift clutch up when you hit the raised painted section before the roundabout.

ReputationRep:
    At 40, I generally ease off the accellerator and change down to 3rd which slows me down, then gently brake nearer to where I'm going to stop, put the clutch down just before it would otherwise stall, then change from 3rd to 1st whilst the car is still and waiting to pull off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Brake with the right foot, dip the clutch with the left foot, Whilst continuing to brake, smarly blip the throttle to raise the revs up to the level you would expect the new lower gear to cruise in, engage the new gear, lift the clutch, continue braking and changing down the box as required until you reach your target speed.
    he doesn't know how to change gears yet you're explaining how to match revs lol

ReputationRep:
    I think your thinking too much! Don't think it will just confuse you! Well okay think a little cos otherwise you may die! But braking slightly b4 you change down is a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    40mph with 1hand on the gear stick and 1 on the steering wheel go ;
    brake to 30mph and clutch down -> 3rd gear
    brake to 20mph and clutch down ->2nd gear
    brake to 10mph and clutch down -> 1st gear
    roll to a stop and hand brake up.

That's just what I've always done and have never had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie344)
    There is no real need to change down all the gears I don't think.
    I would say brake in 4th clutch down into 2nd and lift clutch up when you hit the raised painted section before the roundabout.
    There isn't a need really but some driving testers get antsy about double gear changes.

In my car if I wanna go from 4th to 2nd I have to go to 3rd (I don't lift the clutch when I hit third but I have to go there to get it back down lol)... my gearbox is a bit stiff lol.

Oh and another quirk of my car... at the right revs she doesn't need the clutch to go in to change gears.

ReputationRep:
    I just brake and press clutch down til rest. i realise this is coasting..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    I just brake and press clutch down til rest. i realise this is coasting..
    tutut....I passed my test 3 years ago, been driving only for just over a month though - that was my first bad habit, that I was doing unintentionally, but I'z sorted it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    tutut....I passed my test 3 years ago, been driving only for just over a month though - that was my first bad habit, that I was doing unintentionally, but I'z sorted it now.
    I passed this week :woo:
    how else do you slow down when approaching lights? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Foot off accelerator, brake if need be, change down to whichever gear is most appropriate, since you don't always end up having to stop at traffic lights... Depends on the cars in front as to whether you put your foot back on the accelerator though, obviously.

Don't overthink it, it's more of a situation/common sense thing than trying to remember a list of what to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    I passed this week :woo:
    how else do you slow down when approaching lights? :confused:
    lol, you can either gradually change down the gears as you come to a stop, or change to 3rd and then break until coming to a stop, where you depress the clutch before the car would otherwise stall, and change into 1st.

I generally use the gears as a way of slowing down instead of purely using the brakes, but I imagine some would argue that this knackers your gears.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.