Turn on thread page Beta

How to Change Down- - - GEARS! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by openlad)
    how do you change down properly?

like you are on a carriageway, 4th gear, approaching traffic lights. if you want to reduce speed before getting to the traffic lights, by not just braking and clutching down in 4th gear at the traffic light, what do you do??

do you do this..

...while on 4th gear, on 40mph
    ...leg off accelerator to reduce speed to 20mph
    ...clutch down and change to 2nd gear

or

...while on 4th gear, on 40mph
    ...leg off accelerator to reduce speed to 20mph
    ...leg on brakes gently while you clutch down and change to 2nd gear
    ...leg off both pedals and back on gas pedal
    erm...kinda confusing explanation but i'll try me best to help - lol

if your coming to a standstill at a red traffic light in a modern car you don't have to change down at all as long as you put the clutch down to stop the car stalling - you can change from forth to first at a standstill at the traffic lights - modern cars can handle that - if your were in an older classic style car you'd have to slow the car with the footbrake and change down sequentially and be in first (at a low speed) before the car stops otherwise it'll stall (i think ) - hope that answered ur question

ReputationRep:
    So much bad advice.

It is bad practice to stop in 4th, you should work down the gears and stay in second til you stop.

That is all.

For example, traffic lights are on red, you drop into 3rd then second, and the lights go green, onto the gas and off you go. If you had been slowing in 4th you would have had to shift down til second and then get going again. Also it saves brakes, fuel and makes for smoother driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    So much bad advice.

It is bad practice to stop in 4th, you should work down the gears and stay in second til you stop.

That is all.

For example, traffic lights are on red, you drop into 3rd then second, and the lights go green, onto the gas and off you go. If you had been slowing in 4th you would have had to shift down til second and then get going again. Also it saves brakes, fuel and makes for smoother driving.
    This is what I said (I know, I know... practice what you preach!)

ReputationRep:
    Learn to heel toe downshift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4

ReputationRep:
    I would have done, Foot of accelorator!
    Foot on break cause 20 mph would be 3 rd gear! so reduce ur speed to about 10-15 using the break clutch in then and 2nd gear off and you should be good!

ReputationRep:
    I can coast as much as i like cause i passed my test But the correct way is to take your foot off accelerator keep it in 4th untill about 20mph when it begins to judder, then you can change to second (do that on a test) or just coast to a stop. Changing from 4th to 3rd to second to 1st is just illogical and uneconomical, then again i did do my hill starts with 1000 revs, my instructor nearly had a heart attack every time i did them, its way to noisy to put on a lot of gas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    he doesn't know how to change gears yet you're explaining how to match revs lol
    as crazy a racing technique it sounds, its actually easy mastered and the sooner its practised the better. i strongly believe for the manual driving test they should teach it.

ReputationRep:
    Spends what your driving, if you have a piece of **** PSA gearbox.

You've got tom clutch in pop it into neutral, blip the throttle and then change from like 4th to 2nd otherwise you get an awful crunch.

If your talking about slowing to stop and your in 4th gear just brake and whack the clutch in when you feel the car chugging away, then you won't **** up your syncromeshes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    40mph with 1hand on the gear stick and 1 on the steering wheel go ;
    brake to 30mph and clutch down -> 3rd gear
    brake to 20mph and clutch down ->2nd gear
    brake to 10mph and clutch down -> 1st gear
    roll to a stop and hand brake up.

That's just what I've always done and have never had any problems.
    you go into first gear when u are still moving at 10mph?! surely you lurch forward loads/the revs leap up.
    meh i just see the traffic lights turn red from ages away, put it from fifth into neutral, brake to stop (obviously...), then pop it into first when ive stopped and the lights are turning green.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    Oh and another quirk of my car... at the right revs she doesn't need the clutch to go in to change gears.
    That's not really a quirk. You can change gears without the clutch pretty easily if you have the revs right but that's tricky to master for your average driver. Vastly simplified the job of the clutch (and synchromesh blah blah) is to match the revs for you. When racing I changed the gears without a clutch (just the way it was) and a couple of times when I first started driving I would forget and change gear (cleanly) without the clutch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    you go into first gear when u are still moving at 10mph?! surely you lurch forward loads/the revs leap up.
    meh i just see the traffic lights turn red from ages away, put it from fifth into neutral, brake to stop (obviously...), then pop it into first when ive stopped and the lights are turning green.
    Not really, my mum's car does but my car doesn't. I thought driving in neutral wore out the gear shift faster?

ReputationRep:
    It's bad practice to stop in 4th how?

If I'm being really lazy I take off in 4th as well.

It's bad practice to change down the gears especially in a diesel.

Plus you wear out the syncromeshes quicker.

I'd rather either clutch in and wear out my brakes which are much cheaper to replace or stop in one gear and do very little damage.

ReputationRep:
    i just stick the clutch down straight away & coast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    as crazy a racing technique it sounds, its actually easy mastered and the sooner its practised the better. i strongly believe for the manual driving test they should teach it.
    nah i'm not saying it's hard and i know it's pretty easy but we've got to take into consideration OP doesn't even know how to change gears lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    It's probably easier if you have a rev counter however haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    i engage the clutch, put it in neutral, release the clutch and roll along when i know i'm going to stop. saves the most petrol!
    You're better off for both fuel and driving reasons to leave it in gear with the clutch down until you stop, though only put the clutch down once the revs are too low for the gear.

Personally, despite what Cj-Tj says, I don't bother actually bring the clutch up on each down shift if I'm stopping reasonably quickly, as you just end up with "up-down-up-down-up-down..." clutching with very little in between. I don't see the point; and it's not trouble to just pop it into an appropriate gear and clutch up if you want to move off again while slowing down.

ReputationRep:
    The proper way to do it is to leave it in gear until the engine starts to struggle, then clutch in till you stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    You use less fuel with the clutch down than with the clutch up and in neutral. You're better off for both fuel and driving reasons to leave it in gear with the clutch down until you stop, though only put the clutch down once the revs are too low for the gear.
    how can not having the car in gear, with both feet off the accelerator and clutch use more fuel?

ReputationRep:
    how can not having the car in gear, with both feet off the accelerator and clutch use more fuel?
    Presumably because having your foot on the clutch puts a very slight load on the engine where the release bearing acts against the pressure plate?

You should really sit there in neutral with the clutch up though as its less wear on the release bearing.

ReputationRep:
    The engine is turning the gearbox, which has frictional losses in it. If you have the clutch down, it isn't.
    Edit: This makes perfect sense in my mind, but there might be a reason I'm wrong, so please tell me if there is ^^

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.