Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Don't slow down.. Just hit it fast and rip the handbrake up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    poppy **** !

block changes can be smooth

odd isn't it that the emergency services, the military, the DSA standards and 'civilian' advanced driving standards all recommend block changing in normal driving of modern cars and light commercials
    From my HGV exploits, I've discovered that block changing is actively encouraged up the box as well as down!

Ultimately, I find a mix of sequential and block changes suits my needs depending on the conditions and the "spirit" in which I choose to drive on any given occasion.
    I suspect you are the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    From my HGV exploits, I've discovered that block changing is actively encouraged up the box as well as down!

Ultimately, I find a mix of sequential and block changes suits my needs depending on the conditions and the "spirit" in which I choose to drive on any given occasion.
    I suspect you are the same?
    oh yeah, but that's with 100,000 + miles of driving experience, driving everything from a 1l Nova to 7.5 tonners via ambulances, big 4*4s and a while owning a 2.3 l Scorpio...

for learners and new drivers in ordinary cars stick to what the DSA say in the test standards

block changing up is entirely reasonable such as giving it some down a sliproad in 3rd and going into top when you hit the main carriage way ...

ReputationRep:
    you shouldnt really be in 4th on the dual carriageway. im in 6th, i put the clutch down when i see the 300yrd sign (i know this is bad but its easiest) hold it down til im slow then go straight into 2nd, then 1st if i actual have to stop for roundabout etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    i engage the clutch, put it in neutral, release the clutch and roll along when i know i'm going to stop. saves the most petrol!
    this, even though it may be illegal, such a smooth ride though.

ReputationRep:
    Change down so that the revs will be high. It's called engine braking.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, but that's with 100,000 + miles of driving experience, driving everything from a 1l Nova to 7.5 tonners via ambulances, big 4*4s and a while owning a 2.3 l Scorpio...

for learners and new drivers in ordinary cars stick to what the DSA say in the test standards

block changing up is entirely reasonable such as giving it some down a sliproad in 3rd and going into top when you hit the main carriage way ...

Agree with you 100% with similar milage under my belt.
    I had always block changed upwards, particularly in some of the more "grunty" stuff I owned. It just didn't occur to me that it was DSA approved.
    The best way to drive the MG V8 I had was to start off in 2nd (due to the daft axle ratio I had installed) and then slot her straight into fifth. It was like driving around town with a manual powerglide!

The difficulty for learners is trying to differentiate between when to use sequential changes and when to block change.
    The reality of the situation is it's something that just comes with experience of both driving in general and also experience of a particular vehicle.

ReputationRep:
    poppy **** !

block changes can be smooth

odd isn't it that the emergency services, the military, the DSA standards and 'civilian' advanced driving standards all recommend block changing in normal driving of modern cars and light commercials
    I've only ever driven my car. And trust me, in that they aren't smooth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    i engage the clutch, put it in neutral, release the clutch and roll along when i know i'm going to stop. saves the most petrol!
    What car do you own?

In anything modern with an ECU, doing this will use more fuel than keeping the clutch up with the engine in gear.

Only on older cars with carbeurettors (and perhaps the early mechanical fuel injection cars) will doing this possibly save any fuel.

ReputationRep:
    Just stick in neutral as soon as I know i'm going to come to traffic lights, don't waste petrol and just use the break slowly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    You don't have to but
    Brake and change to 3rd, brake down to 2nd, stop, put it into 1st ready for when you need to move. You can do a double change if you really want but it won't be as smooth.

Never put the clutch in unless you're changing gears or stopping completely. Your car will go forward faster and you will have no engine braking.
    lol I seem to never have time to go down the gears one by one I always have to block change

ReputationRep:
    basically press the clutch down and begin breaking till a stop, no gear change needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    I've only ever driven my car. And trust me, in that they aren't smooth.
    You're probably not doing them right then :p:
    I can't see any reason they should be less smooth than a normal gear change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    You're probably not doing them right then :p:
    I can't see any reason they should be less smooth than a normal gear change.
    No one can do block changes in my car. The gear box is a bit... bleh. It physically won't go from 4th to anything lower than 3rd in one change.

ReputationRep:
    oooh, I've got a question about changing gears! I've got a car (just passed at the start of June but only got insurance in July) and everytime I try to go from 3rd/4th down to 2nd it always jumps! I'm I not going too slow enough or is there some technique? I didn't have this problem in my instructors car...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    No one can do block changes in my car. The gear box is a bit... bleh. It physically won't go from 4th to anything lower than 3rd in one change.
    Eh? As in the gearstick won't? but surely you just move the stick into neutral position and then into whatever gear you like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Is that even possible? Surely it must take an age to get going starting in 4th.
    Not in a TDI...

Remember it's a diesel so it's got so much low down torque.

The car is actually quicker off the mark in 2nd than it is in 1st.

1st is rather weak and short.

4th can take me from 0-80+ quite happily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    Assuming you wanted to go from 4th to 2nd, depress the clutch, snatch third with the shifter then move to 2nd. You should then be able to lift the clutch and get the gear.
    The box is obviously a bit tired and needs a little help aligning itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    Ok so you're going 30 in gear 3. You come to a stop , how do you pull off in gear 3. of course you have to gear down. Unless you mean , stop then gear down ?
    That's not what the questioner asked. He seemed to think you needed to change down to 2nd before you come to a stop, which is hardly ever the case.

Or are you just trying to split hairs?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.