Turn on thread page Beta

How am I supposed to pay £1000 rent by 1st August? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do university accommodations usually ask for this much money so far in advance of the maintenance loan?

I have no money and my parents are skint. I've already paid the first installment, how can they ask for the second before I've even packed my bags?

I don't mind dipping into an overdraft as it'll be paid back when I get my loan I suppose, but can I even get an overdraft that soon? I'm sure with student accounts you can only get your overdraft once you've started uni.

Blahh.

ReputationRep:
    no you can apply for a student overdraft/account by showing your UCAS letter. Everyone else manages, so you'll have to find a way. Get a job if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    I already have a job. I'm not going to make £1K in 2 weeks though am I genius?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    no you can apply for a student overdraft/account by showing your UCAS letter. Everyone else manages, so you'll have to find a way. Get a job if you have to.
    Also I'm aware of that but most banks don't give you an overdraft until you officially start your course and even then it's only around £500. And I'm aware "everyone else manages" & that I'll have to "find a way" - which is WHY I am asking them how they do. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)
    Should have planned earlier genius. I've already told you you can open a student account. I personally saved up, and borrowed about £300 off parents.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure the deadline is in August? This is very unusual...

Which university is it? Call them up and explain your situation, this isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    EH? Why do they want so much now? I didnt pay anything til after the loan was in. Speak to your uni and explain, im sure they will be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Should have planned earlier genius. I've already told you you can open a student account. I personally saved up, and borrowed about £300 off parents.
    I already have a student account and they wont give me my overdraft until I start my course. I had assumed I wouldn't have to pay the 2nd of 4 installments until I had at least got my loan. Stupid not to save, I know, but I've had bills to pay and I don't have parents I can just borrow a few hundred quid off out of the blue.

It's not uni accommodation unfortunately, it's independent halls. But they're still strictly only for university students so surely they know most people would struggle to pay that before the loan?

It's a business so they don't care how hard it is for you to come up with the cash as long as you do.... sorry

ReputationRep:
    It's not uni accommodation unfortunately, it's independent halls. But they're still strictly only for university students so surely they know most people would struggle to pay that before the loan?
    I'm in private halls too - my first payment was stupid and about £1.2k before my loan - they've realised that's hard to get together before loans and now its £890 which is *slightly* better for a first installment.

ReputationRep:
    At Edinburgh we had to put down a £250 deposit then you can pay it upfront or £500 a month for 7 months beginning in October. Have you phoned the uni to see if you can pay later?

ReputationRep:
    No cos it isn't to do with the uni. Guess this is the problem with going for independent halls. I'll just have to beg steal & borrow then I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Speak to George Agdgdgwngo he will wire you the monies directly, if you give him your bank account details :rolleyes:

courtesty of National Bank of Uganda

ReputationRep:
    No cos it isn't to do with the uni. Guess this is the problem with going for independent halls. I'll just have to beg steal & borrow then I guess!
    Oh, is it a big company or a local landlord?

ReputationRep:
    i think you should give them a call and see if you can sort something out.

not everyone has parents with disposable income like that to just give to their kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    Speak to George Agdgdgwngo he will wire you the monies directly, if you give him your bank account details :rolleyes:

courtesty of National Bank of Uganda
    Gooooood morning, madaaaaaaaaam....

ReputationRep:
    Why are you being such an ass when someone's asking for help?

(Original post by GazzyG)
    Gooooood morning, madaaaaaaaaam....
    I did the exact same thing!!

@OP: When did you pay your first rent installment? £1000 for a second installment by 1st Aug! Call up and tell them it was a funny joke but when is the real deadline by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Why are you being such an ass when someone's asking for help?
    Why should the OP be an ass when I tried to help? :
    Read the whole thread before coming out with **** yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Get a ****** job ya goon

ReputationRep:
    Why should the OP be an ass when I tried to help? :

Read the whole thread before coming out with **** yourself.
    I'm sorry I think you misunderstood, it's you who's being an ass. Why belittle the OP for not saving? Also you can't access your Student Account Overdraft until atleast results day when your place are university is uncodintionally firmed (Unless you originally hold an unconditional) even so as mentioned only £500 is available that still leave another £500 in 2 weaks which is roughly 50 hours work per week at £5 per hour

(Original post by wee_bob)
    Get a ****** job ya goon
    Ah, we missed the obvious solution

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.