Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How am I supposed to pay £1000 rent by 1st August? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I'm sorry I think you misunderstood, it's you who's being an ass. Why belittle the OP for not saving? Also you can't access your Student Account Overdraft until atleast results day when your place are university is uncodintionally firmed (Unless you originally hold an unconditional) even so as mentioned only £500 is available that still leave another £500 in 2 weaks which is roughly 50 hours work per week at £5 per hour

Ah, we missed the obvious solution
    Then why go into halls you can't afford? You have to choose them months in advance. I don't understand how you can plan this thing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Why should the OP be an ass when I tried to help? :

Read the whole thread before coming out with **** yourself.
    Well to be fair, the OP was right lolz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Then why go into halls you can't afford? You have to choose them months in advance. I don't understand how you can plan this thing wrong.
    Not all halls have a schedule handed out for how much and when payments are due. Mine only had the total amount for one year. All that was mentioned about installments was that it was a possibility to do it termly. I know for a fact I can afford the hall throughout the year through loans, however as one lump sum it just isn't going to happen. Also the fact that the OP is paying for a second installment before even recieveing results is slightly worrying, if not suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I'm sorry I think you misunderstood, it's you who's being an ass. Why belittle the OP for not saving? Also you can't access your Student Account Overdraft until atleast results day when your place are university is uncodintionally firmed (Unless you originally hold an unconditional) even so as mentioned only £500 is available that still leave another £500 in 2 weaks which is roughly 50 hours work per week at £5 per hour

Ah, we missed the obvious solution

Well ya goon the obvious solution is to go live in a box on the strret that way u wont need to pay £1000 sarci prick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wee_bob)
    Well ya goon the obvious solution is to go live in a box on the strret that way u wont need to pay £1000 sarci prick
    If you'd read even the title you'd note that the money is needed by 1st Aug. £1000 in two weeks is a big ask. Also the OP already has a job.
    Living on the street raises as many problems as it solves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    If you'd read even the title you'd note that the money is needed by 1st Aug. £1000 in two weeks is a big ask. Also the OP already has a job.
    Living on the street raises as many problems as it solves.

If its such a big ask then go find a cheaper place to stay ya goon
    Its ur fault
    ur problem
    Deal wit it
    rather than try to get sympathy on stupid forums
    Livin on the streets means no bills no furnuture expenses..dont see the problem

ReputationRep:
    If its such a big ask then go find a cheaper place to stay ya goon
    Its ur fault
    ur problem
    Deal wit it
    rather than try to get sympathy on stupid forums
    Livin on the streets means no bills no furnuture expenses..dont see the problem
    He's trying to get advice not sympathy.

Living on the street means no proof of address; you can't ever have anything delivered, you can't set up a bank account, you can't get a job. To name but a few. If living on the street was that great a lot more people would be out there by choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    He's trying to get advice not sympathy.

Living on the street means no proof of address; you can't ever have anything delivered, you can't set up a bank account, you can't get a job. To name but a few. If living on the street was that great a lot more people would be out there by choice.
    Yeh right he iss askin for sympathy
    Nobody tells u to go stay somewhere were u cant afford too, doesnt take a genius o work out that hmm if i cant afford it i shud move somewhere cheaper

ReputationRep:
    If you think he's asking for sympathy fine, that's your opinion. Just don't tell him to shove off because of it.
    Nobody tells u to go stay somewhere were u cant afford too, doesnt take a genius o work out that hmm if i cant afford it i shud move somewhere cheaper

Read the above posts next time.

(Original post by Zorg)
    Not all halls have a schedule handed out for how much and when payments are due. Mine only had the total amount for one year. All that was mentioned about installments was that it was a possibility to do it termly. I know for a fact I can afford the hall throughout the year through loans, however as one lump sum it just isn't going to happen. Also the fact that the OP is paying for a second installment before even recieveing results is slightly worrying, if not suspicious.
    Also when you sign for your accomodation you're signing a contract in which they can force you to pay the full years rent even if you choose not to stay there. Hence moving elswhere now would only increase expenses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    If you think he's asking for sympathy fine, that's your opinion. Just don't tell him to shove off because of it.

Read the above posts next time.

Also when you sign for your accomodation you're signing a contract in which they can force you to pay the full years rent even if you choose not to stay there. Hence moving elswhere now would only increase expenses
    And when exactly did i tell him to shove off?
    And dont be so patronisin, everybody agrees that the simple solution is to find a cheaper place
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Oh for goodness sake. Nobody is asking for sympathy. OP is asking for a solution or advice from others who've been in similar situations. Moving out somewhere cheaper isn't an option once contracts have been signed. Idiot. Your foul language, attitude and lack of grammar and punctuation will get you far on TSR. Offer advice or sod off.

OP: My halls wanted £450 off me before I started without much warning. I had no money, my parents couldn't help and my overdraft wasn't available yet. My only option was to call and explain that I simply didn't have that much money until *insert date here* and I could make the payment then. If it's a student contract of any sort - uni based or private halls, then you'll find that the company/uni will have experience of this situation and possibly have advice.

I do think it's very odd to be asked for this amount of money before term even starts. Is it a well known student company or a private landlord? If it's the latter than you have very few options.

ReputationRep:
    **** me its kicking off in here tonight

ReputationRep:
    Why did you decide to go somewhere you clearly can't afford??

I guess your only solution is to go to the bank with this letter demanding the money, your ucas stuff and account details and ask for the overdraft now.

You can have the overdraft now, I had £1000 Barclays interest free before I even had my results, just depends on your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    And when exactly did i tell him to shove off?
    And dont be so patronisin, everybody agrees that the simple solution is to find a cheaper place
    My fault. I worded that badly, but I thought it was quite rude to say he shouldn't expect any sympathy when this isn't really his fault. Sure he could have saved some money and been able to pay it off, but hindsight is a b****.

Just because everybody agrees doesn't make it the best solution. Finding a new place will probably be difficult as most places will be taken, so expect the rejects and the most expensive rooms to remain. Also as mentioned the current landlord will probably expect the entire years rent if he leaves now, therefore he will only be incurring more expenses by moving to a cheaper place.
    Sorry if I come accross as patronising, not what I intended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    Why did you decide to go somewhere you clearly can't afford??

I guess your only solution is to go to the bank with this letter demanding the money, your ucas stuff and account details and ask for the overdraft now.

You can have the overdraft now, I had £1000 Barclays interest free before I even had my results, just depends on your circumstances.
    Doing this will be like throwing a tantrum because you want to fly.

Overdrafts are different at different banks, the majority only allow you to use the overdraft facility when your place at uni is confirmed, this is usually results day, unless you have an unconditional offer.

Best thing would be to call up the landlord and explain the situation. Maybe ask for an extension to the deadline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)
    Also I'm aware of that but most banks don't give you an overdraft until you officially start your course and even then it's only around £500. And I'm aware "everyone else manages" & that I'll have to "find a way" - which is WHY I am asking them how they do. :rolleyes:
    I received an overdraft of £1000 from Barclays before my course started. An alternative no one has mentioned is asking to pay your landlord by direct debit. You can justify this form of payment easily, and it could give you an extra month to get the money together.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all those who are actually offering useful advice and not just vomitting their ignorance all over my thread. I don't need sympathy from people on an internet forum, I wanted genuine advice on whether it was normal for them to ask for this much and what the best way to go about it would be.

I can afford the halls, but as Zorg explained, they don't always tell you when the installments will be. I naturally assumed that 4 payments over a year would be a bit more spread out! £1k is a large sum to some of us when you have 2 weeks warning, but the total amount over a year sounded very reasonable.

Finding a new place isn't possible, you have to cancel within 14 days or you're contracted to pay the full rent, regardless of whether you live there or not.

But thanks for the idiot advice, too - cheered me right up this morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    @OP: When did you pay your first rent installment? £1000 for a second installment by 1st Aug! Call up and tell them it was a funny joke but when is the real deadline by.
    The first was when I booked it in April I think, but was only £250. I think I may well do this. :p: Maybe they'll see the funny side and give me a break.

ReputationRep:
    Overdraft?

ReputationRep:
    sell ur arse!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.