Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How am I supposed to pay £1000 rent by 1st August? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sounds more like 1st September? How do you even know if you will be going to that university for definite until you get your results?! Sounds v.odd to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    Sounds more like 1st September? How do you even know if you will be going to that university for definite until you get your results?! Sounds v.odd to me
    YES!! Finally someone has cottoned on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Doing this will be like throwing a tantrum because you want to fly.

Overdrafts are different at different banks, the majority only allow you to use the overdraft facility when your place at uni is confirmed, this is usually results day, unless you have an unconditional offer.

Best thing would be to call up the landlord and explain the situation. Maybe ask for an extension to the deadline?
    How is it ANYTHING like throwing a tantrum??
    You're going to bank with a genuine need for money, overdrafts are there for things like rent when you're skint not going out 5 nights a week. One would assume that the OP already has an unconditional place because they've entered a contract paying rent for a year or however long and they'd still have to pay it if they didn't get in to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    How is it ANYTHING like throwing a tantrum??
    You're going to bank with a genuine need for money, overdrafts are there for things like rent when you're skint not going out 5 nights a week. One would assume that the OP already has an unconditional place because they've entered a contract paying rent for a year or however long and they'd still have to pay it if they didn't get in to uni.
    Going in and demanding money is kinda like throwing a tantrum.

I didn't consider that the OP has an unconditional place. (I prefer to ignore those that do, damn clever s****)

@OP: do you have an unconditional? If so, Sparkles suggestion of going to the bank is one route to go. However it's still unlikely they will give you the full £1000. Mention that you have a job, it may get you more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Going in and demanding money is kinda like throwing a tantrum.

I didn't consider that the OP has an unconditional place. (I prefer to ignore those that do, damn clever s****)

@OP: do you have an unconditional? If so, Sparkles suggestion of going to the bank is one route to go. However it's still unlikely they will give you the full £1000. Mention that you have a job, it may get you more money.
    I didn't say he should demand the money off the bank, I said he should bring in the letter that demands the money by 1st august.

ReputationRep:
    (I'm a girl :p: ) and yes I do have an unconditional offer (not out of cleverness, just had a year out so already have my results).

I didn't realise that would make a difference at the bank! But I'm definitely going to go in there with my paperwork confirming my unconditional place as well as the rent request sheet - thank you!! I think that might really help me out even if they only give me a small amount of my overdraft, the £500 would be better than nothing.

Thanks for your help guys I'll get some rep on the go when I have some.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is very unusual. Maybe contact them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)
    (I'm a girl :p: ) and yes I do have an unconditional offer (not out of cleverness, just had a year out so already have my results).

I didn't realise that would make a difference at the bank! But I'm definitely going to go in there with my paperwork confirming my unconditional place as well as the rent request sheet - thank you!! I think that might really help me out even if they only give me a small amount of my overdraft, the £500 would be better than nothing.

My bad about calling you a boy, sorry!

Hope the bank sorts you out, I don't think it'll be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)

Even if you don't get the full £1000 sorted, tell the landlord how much you have (show him if you can using letters and stuff) he may be more lenient and give you a few more weeks.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Even if you don't get the full £1000 sorted, tell the landlord how much you have (show him if you can using letters and stuff) he may be more lenient and give you a few more weeks.
    Good luck
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking, at least if I can offer half the money they'll know I'm serious and shouldn't be able to complain too much

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    YES!! Finally someone has cottoned on.
    :lolwut: it's obvious though, isn't it? (Rhetorical Q really :p: )

ReputationRep:
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Not really, it's a well known student accommodation company that's been running for years so not really likely to be a rip off landlord. I would have thought the same though!

ReputationRep:
    Which arse negged me without leaving a name?

COWARD!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.