Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically, I've got an insurance policy on my car, which I just renewed in April of this year, but I want to add my brother to it who just passed his test (a lot earlier than expected!). I called Endsleigh (my company), and they said it would cost an additional £1600 to what I've already paid (£700) to add him, which is loads.

So, I looked around, and found some other companies which are a bit cheaper, around £1300.

My question is, how do I switch insurance company? Is it just a case of cancelling my policy and getting a new policy with someone else, or is there more to it?

Also, I take it, the £700 which I paid has basically gone down the drain?

Cheers for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Why not just get a different policy for him ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Why not just get a different policy for him ?
    Are you allowed to have two policies on the same car?

Sorry if this all sounds a bit stupid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Mariachi)
    Are you allowed to have two policies on the same car?

Sorry if this all sounds a bit stupid!
    Probably not but just a thought :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    As you have just renewed your insurance you may be able to cancel and get a refund on remaining months but this depends on your insurer. Just phone to cancel but make sure you have a new policy for when your old one ends.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically, I've got an insurance policy on my car, which I just renewed in April of this year, but I want to add my brother to it who just passed his test (a lot earlier than expected!). I called Endsleigh (my company), and they said it would cost an additional £1600 to what I've already paid (£700) to add him, which is loads.

So, I looked around, and found some other companies which are a bit cheaper, around £1300.

My question is, how do I switch insurance company? Is it just a case of cancelling my policy and getting a new policy with someone else, or is there more to it?

Also, I take it, the £700 which I paid has basically gone down the drain?

Cheers for any help!
    you'll loose a substantial amount on your policy. IE the policy since april, and a fee. I work it out to be very roughly £407 returned to you, for 4 months and a £60 fee.

is it 1300 for you both, or just your bro?

If the new policy is £1300 all in, you've got £400 returned from last insurer, £900 extra put in, plus the £300 lost = £1600 as opposed to £1600 plus the £700 you've already paid (£2300)

if it's £1300 for your bro only and £700 for you still, ie £2000 all in, that works out £300 cheaper than if you added him to your existing policy.

To switch company all you have to do is call up and cancel your existing policy and take out the other one by whatever means.. be wary though, they can take up to 14 days to return your money; if you need the money from your existing policy to fund the new policy, you'll be stuck car less for a week or two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    you'll loose a substantial amount on your policy. IE the policy since april, and a fee. I work it out to be very roughly £407 returned to you, for 4 months and a £60 fee.

is it 1300 for you both, or just your bro?

If the new policy is £1300 all in, you've got £400 returned from last insurer, £900 extra put in, plus the £300 lost = £1600 as opposed to £1600 plus the £700 you've already paid (£2300)

if it's £1300 for your bro only and £700 for you still, ie £2000 all in, that works out £300 cheaper than if you added him to your existing policy.

To switch company all you have to do is call up and cancel your existing policy and take out the other one by whatever means.. be wary though, they can take up to 14 days to return your money; if you need the money from your existing policy to fund the new policy, you'll be stuck car less for a week or two
    Cheers, that was really helpful!

It's £1300 for both my brother and I, but he's agreed to pay the remainder of the total less whatever I get returned.

ReputationRep:
    Just to let future people know, if I changed company I would have had to cancel my insurance with Endsleigh, and they would have refunded me £530 including a £50 cancellation fee. I called them today though and they offered me a better deal than at first, £1100 for both of us

ReputationRep:
    Just to let future people know, if I changed company I would have had to cancel my insurance with Endsleigh, and they would have refunded me £530 including a £50 cancellation fee. I called them today though and they offered me a better deal than at first, £1100 for both of us
    well done, always good to barter!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.