Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've studied up to AS Biology and just know that it's supposedly an organism that is predominantly genetic material but isn't actually an organism since it doesn't carry out any of the main life processes (respiration, reproduction, growth etc.) and that they can be inactive but in the body for a whole lifetime.

So I was just confused, what is is an actual virus? Where and how were they created? I ask because this whole swine flu thing being all over the news got me thinking just how affective they can be on the living organisms in this world.
    It's almost like they're just organic machines that are programmed to be evil and destroy their hosts :rolleyes: but in all seriousness where and how were they first created in this world?

Also, can there be such a thing as a positive virus?

ReputationRep:
    Well just to get it out of the way, things are not "created" out of the blue. Although obviously if you are religious then God made them, God made small organisms to make us terribly sick. He was considering making a disease which effected a small number of us and caused a painless death in our sleep, just to control the population. But then he thought to himself "...this is dull, I want blood from very orifis! I want these people to suffer! BWHAHAHAH!!...man I'm such a tyrant sometimes....here comes Eloba humans!! MUAHAHAH!!"

So if your religious that's how Virus's like Eloba(causing haemorraghic fever) came about.

If we talking non-religious virsus's are basically very little organisms. It's isnt that they are designed to harm animals but they require a host cell to multiply. Because virus's don't leave behind fossils their origins are hard to truly discover but the main hypothesis is that they came about when the first cells did. As you might know a human cell has lots of tiny organelles in it which do different things, like ribosomes, mitochondreia(which actually might technically be a parasite in it's own right) etc. Basically originally virus's and a small number of bacteria which need to be inside host cells to multiply were probably parasites of larger cells, so they would drift around in the cytoplasm of larger cells taking the sugar,proteins etc which they needed to survive and multiply. They would slowly lose genes that would help them survive outside of a host cell because they no longer had use for them, so mutations which damaged those genes didn't really matter. That makes the virus and some bacteria depended on bigger cells they can parasite or infect, to survive.

Their so simple their basically a bit of DNA/group of genes with a protein coat to keep them enclosed. Another theory is virsus's orginally came from bits of DNA which "escaped" from cells during replication and then began to replicate by themselves using the cell.

The reason virus's harm us is the cells they use to multiply inside die, either because the number of these tiny virus's inside the cell get too such a number the cell literally explodes/ruptures and they all flow out. Or random proteins produced by the virus's interfere with the normal operations of the host cell, eventually killing it.

EDIT: About positive virus's. Yes there can be ones. For example Bacteriaophages are virus's which only infect bacteria. I'm not sure if patients are ever gfiven these but hypothetically if you could find a virus which say infects a bacteria which has made someone sick, the virus could kill off the bacteria only so the patient is healthy again.

Also in genetic engineering virus's are used to insert genes into a creatures DNA. Say you want to give a human a gene from something else. What you do is you take the gene you want the human to have and insert it into the plasmid of a harmless virus, basically some virus's don't make us ill. That virus can then insert the gene into our cells and into our DNA. It's a lot more complicated then that though, but basically virus's can be used to insert genes into other organisms.

ReputationRep:
    Viruses may be defined as a cellular organisms whose genomes consist of nucleic acid, and which obligatory replicate inside host cells using host metabolic machinery and ribosome to form a pool of components which assemble into particles called virions, which serve to protect the genome and to transfer it to other cells.

They are distinct from other so-called virus like agents such as viroids and plasmids and prions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    ....here comes Eloba humans!! MUAHAHAH!!"

So if your religious that's how Virus's like Eloba(causing haemorraghic fever) came about.
    Ekhm... Ebola :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adsy)
    Ekhm... Ebola :awesome:
    ..It was a typo.:rolleyes: :p: :yes: :woo: :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.