Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    It is not for anyone but Allah to judge you. On the day of judgement is it for people to judge you? Plus you will be judged on your intentions. Having said that, if you have true faith, praying 5 times a day should not be a problem. It's my philosophy that if you choose to follow a religion, you should at least try to the best of your ability to fulfil all the obligations. Islam states clearly that you must pray 5 times a day( excluding menses for girls). I would also like to tell you that although we pray 5 times a day we actually receive the reward of 50 prayers. When I became religious, it was as if though I found a new strength, my health, intelligence and even behaviour rocketed brilliantly. Perhaps its pyschological, but it worked for me. I don't think that you have to read the Qur'an every single day to be a good muslim. I do however think that we should implement the teachings of the Qur'an into our lives. I also think that it is a blessing to know arabic. That way you can fully understand the Qur'an. I have to memorise the arabic and the translation to even have a clue. But when I see the translation, I can see the beauty of the Qur'an

i liked it !

=)

best wishes !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seely)
    I'm just curious:

The thing is, i'm a muslim.. but i'm a less practising one.. i don't pray as much as i should - i know that [ although, us girls have our excuses]

But the thing is, i was just curious, my mum is always telling me that as a muslim, you should always pray to allah 5 times a day.
    But the truth is, i don't.

I still conform to:
    -no sex before marriage - i don't have relationships [i'm not sad, i just conform]
    -i don't drink, even most people at my age do
    -i don't do drugs

But i think my problem may because when i was younger, i went to a arabic school when i was about 7?!?
    But the thing was, at the school, they pressurized us to learn the qua'ran all day, and i started to dislike it, and also my own native language [arabic].
    And now as i am 17... i've decided to take up learning arabic again over this summer.. i still know some words, so i can talk in some sentences... but as i haven't read the qua'ran fully as i was scared with dislike to how i was tought- does it justify me as a bad muslim??

I dont think your a bad muslim at all. Take things at your own pace, but strive to pray, as it is one of the most fundamental pillars of Islam. Regular prayers will definitely strengthen your iman. I wouldn't worry about what happened in the past. Just to clarify what you disliked was not the Qur'an or the beautiful language or arabic itself, but in fact was the constant compulsion of reading it.

Holy Qur'an

2:286. "On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear"

Do a lot of dua(supplications), and continue to remain steadfast. Inshallah all will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Tautological.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seely)
    I'm just curious:

The thing is, i'm a muslim.. but i'm a less practising one.. i don't pray as much as i should - i know that [ although, us girls have our excuses]

But the thing is, i was just curious, my mum is always telling me that as a muslim, you should always pray to allah 5 times a day.

I still conform to:
    -no sex before marriage - i don't have relationships [i'm not sad, i just conform]
    -i don't do drugs

But i think my problem may because when i was younger, i went to a arabic school when i was about 7?!?
    But the thing was, at the school, they pressurized us to learn the qua'ran all day, and i started to dislike it, and also my own native language [arabic].
    And now as i am 17... i've decided to take up learning arabic again over this summer.. i still know some words, so i can talk in some sentences... but as i haven't read the qua'ran fully as i was scared with dislike to how i was tought- does it justify me as a bad muslim??

your not a bad muslim you have faith which is the key and then from then on practice makes prefect so jsut try get into the habit then all should be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seely)
    I'm just curious:

I still conform to:
    -i don't do drugs

Well first of all they shouldn't have pressured you into learning Quran, that's wrong. Even Islam says you gotta balance your life right. Islam doesn't tell you to devote your ENTIRE life to it and 24/7.

Also for the matter of praying, yes you should pray 5 times a day cuz that's something Islam strongly tells Muslims to do. Besides at most each prayer takes about 5 minutes, that's MAXIMUM and so if you pray at MAX, in total that's 25 minutes.

25 minutes out of 24 hours....is that too much? Are you so busy in life that you can't give your creator just 25 minutes and most probably LESS THAN THAT in praying and thanking him?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to thank all the people who have given me advice
    I was just doubting myself - thats all
    I've started to read the supplications already
    And i'd like to say, it wasn't my parent's who pressurized me into learn the Qua'ran, it was the school that i went to, did.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you're not a bad Muslim. Like you, I feel bad that I don't know enough and want to learn more Arabic etc etc, but there is always room for improvement. Ramadan is coming up in just over a month's time, so it's an excellent opportunity to concentrate more on your faith and spend time reading the Qu'ran etc. The important thing is that you believe, that you follow the basic tenets of the faith and that you want to become a better Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is that we are living in the 21st century, so does it really matter that you don't pray to Allah as often as you should? I would just do whatever you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seely)
    I'm just curious:

I still conform to:
    -i don't do drugs

I kinda do and don't.
    i mean prayer is one of the five pillars of islam and if you are not doing the basic things then what is the point of being muslim?
    Is kinda contradictory that you are calling yourself a muslim.
    are you praying at least once a day?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.