Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got a test in 2 weeks and thinking of buying a car after I pass.

I'm going to buy from a dealer and was just wondering, what documents will I need to bring and will I need to get legal forms (like registered car keeper stuff, no idea what the form's called) filled in before I can drive away?

What other info will I need to know before heading to the dealers and buy a car?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shikabane)
    Got a test in 2 weeks and thinking of buying a car after I pass.

I'm going to buy from a dealer and was just wondering, what documents will I need to bring and will I need to get legal forms (like registered car keeper stuff, no idea what the form's called) filled in before I can drive away?

What other info will I need to know before heading to the dealers and buy a car?

Cheers
    Hey, I'm probably not a lot of help, but thought I would reply anyway! I would say before you go, make sure you have a look around, look for cars you like, and then look them up on valuation sites (such as parkers.co.uk) or see what they generally sell for on other sites like autotrader and eBay. Also think honestly about how much you can afford to spend, you don't wanna be pressured into paying more than you can afford!

I would also say, when you find a car you like, make sure you haggle hard!! Possibly go home and properly think about it. If you do decide to go back and they won't lower the price much more, ask if they can give you some extras for free e.g. an extended warantee.

As for documents that you need to take, i'm not too sure, my dad took anything we needed when we bought my car lol. I think all you need is the money. When you buy the car, they will give you a piece of paper which you fill out (to register as the owner), and I think you take a bit home, and send it off to the DVLA. You also keep a bit (the new keeper supplement) so you can tax it etc before the new official form comes back through the post.

Sorry for my random post, not really what you asked at all haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Yeah I've looked on autotrader and found one (or two) that I quite like.

Was just wondering how long after I buy the car I can drive it away. Would it be as soon as I pay or will I have to pay up, get the forms filled in, sent to DVLA and get insurance on it. Wait for them to come back THEN drive the car away?
    well i bought mine from an independent garage, not a proper dealer, and my dad drove it (cos I haven't passed yet) home that day. Technically you should get it insured to be able to drive it home, or they might deliver it to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Did your dad have to get insurance on that car first?
    No but my dad is a mechanic so he has special insurance cos obviously he drives hundreds of different cars so he is like insured on all cars. But to be completely legal, yes you would need to ring up your insurance policy and get insured on it I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.