Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm planning on buying Cambridge Advanced Sciences Chemistry 1 and 2 for revising Chemistry.

I'm not entirely sure which examination board I will be doing Chemistry in, however it is possible that these books could be used in order boards apart from OCR?

All comments are welcomed. Many thanks

Although the core chemistry will remain the same different boards have different specifications.

Don't buy them until you know which board you are doing :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, EierVonSatan.

All comments are appreciated
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It depends, Nuffield has a very high theory content compared to something like OCR Salters, and Edexcel are nuts about the tiny details. As above, its good to be prepared but don't confuse yourself with a different board to the one you find out your doing!
    I would just have a hunt in a library for a general textbook (tend to be huge ones though!) to just have a looksee.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, like the other people have commented, don't buy any textbooks until you know what board you are going to do.

If you are really keen in reading about AS chemistry, you can go to chemguide.com, the website has contents that are similar to most boards(plus/minus).

ReputationRep:
    Intriguing. I found out that the board I will be doing is indeed OCR. For those you have done OCR and used these textbooks, are they good?

All comments are welcomed.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Which OCR?

ReputationRep:
    Which OCR? What exactly do you mean, Schmaris?

There are two specifications for OCR: OCR and OCR Salters.

I used the Cambridge texts for OCR many years ago and found them pretty decent. The new edition I haven't seen and so can't really comment.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OCR Salters is very practical based. I have no idea what the other OCR is like, sorry! Look up the course online.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, EierVonSatan and Schmaris. I believe that it is OCR and not OCR Salters.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who has read or used these books? Could they if they are good? Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think you can try have a peek with google books, if they have it, or you could try and find one in public library, perhaps they have it.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.