Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you take a job as a cleaner for a summer job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just interested as to what people thought about this, because this job is often looked down upon. This discussion extends to other jobs with a similar reputation.

Would you take a job with menial tasks to raise funds, as part of a summer job?

x

ReputationRep:
    its a summer job your not going to be a ceo or anything ....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I worked as a cleaner and had no problems with the actual work.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No. Not degrading the occupation, but just not for me.

ReputationRep:
    Sure.

ReputationRep:
    I HAD to get a cleaning job 2 years ago at my school, to pay bills etc. I cleaned toilets, corridors and halls. - It was embarrassing, but I knew what I had to do to get things paid. However that was at my school.

I do a cleaning job in offices, cleaning office toilets and the general office place, so yes, I would take a cleaning job as a summer job.

Though if you want to make a comparison: e.g. Would you rather work in McDonald's or would you rather a cleaning job, I'd personally go with the job that paid more and benefited me more out of that. I would say McDonalds is more beneficial as it gives you the experience that employers are looking for. So if you ever want to quit working at McDonald's, you could use the experience that you earned at McDonald's to get a job in a supermarket for example. Though cleaning jobs just for the summer aren't bad and is better than nothing, if you are finding no luck elsewhere.

But generally it is a no brain-er, if you need money and are only looking for a small part-time job, then a cleaning job is better than nothing at-all. Most of all, it is something that you can add to your CV rather than nothing at-all.

But heck, why not? Someone has to do it, why not you?

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Yes. Yes. One of my friends recently lucked out and got a job as a cleaner for the hall the local Salvation Army operate in. No toilets involved. I would kill for that as a job. Well, just a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. I did some cleaning last summer. It's not bad at all. Easy work and somehow not too rigorous. Quite unwinding and the supervisors were really sound as well. It was a good laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my friend had one at H&M last year for the summer, the hours were not that great but at £7 an hour who could complain! and for most of the time he just pratted around and sat in the changing room lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if there was no bar work available.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly.
    I would take it now.

I have done it before and actually I find it immensely satisfying
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's a job. Take it or leave it. I'd rather take it and have some money

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Its only for the summer, not exactly looking for a career job yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George5210)
    I was just interested as to what people thought about this, because this job is often looked down upon. This discussion extends to other jobs with a similar reputation.

Would you take a job with menial tasks to raise funds, as part of a summer job?

x
    My mate works as a cleaner for our local sea terminal (well, our only one lmao) and she says she has it all done within an hour and gets paid two, and it's £7 few days after school. I wouldn't like to be a canteen cleaner, I'd probably kill the kids, but yer, I'd be an office cleaner and stuff. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yup, worked for Merimaids last summer - was one of the best jobs, and it was either that or 12hr shifts standing still in a freezing cold storage unit packing punnets of soft fruit with non-english-speakers....
    It was good exercise as well

ReputationRep:
    Yep, easy money.

ReputationRep:
    nope cos I can get a better job

ReputationRep:
    Did it last year at Leeds met. If you can take the inane conversation then it isn't so bad. Lots of sitting around drinking cups of tea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.