Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you take a job as a cleaner for a summer job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been working as a cleaner for the last 4years now doing 2 hours a week and it's great! I work with my friends, we get paid considerably more than other jobs, we bring in a radio and have a bit of a dance prancing around, hours are flexible (we go whenever we like), and unlike my friends in other jobs, we never have a horrible boss standing over our shoulder.

It's hardly difficult work running a hover around and wiping services and the people who use the building are always really grateful which is nice.

I'd much rather have this job than be stuck in an office photocopying all day and have a "respectable" job.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    I've been working as a cleaner for the last 4years now doing 2 hours a week and it's great! I work with my friends, we get paid considerably more than other jobs, we bring in a radio and have a bit of a dance prancing around, hours are flexible (we go whenever we like), and unlike my friends in other jobs, we never have a horrible boss standing over our shoulder.

It's hardly difficult work running a hover around and wiping services and the people who use the building are always really grateful which is nice.

I'd much rather have this job than be stuck in an office photocopying all day and have a "respectable" job.
    I had that attitude until I got a job in an office. Office jobs are great compared to everything else I've done.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. I'm working as a cleaner atm (last shift on Saturday because I start my new summer job in France soon) and it's probably my favourite job so far. I much prefer it to working in a supermarket, hairdresser's and waitressing. It's easy work, good money and there can be unexpected perks - I got free booze the other week, for example!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I don't think cleaning is generally looked down upon.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    yes because i haven't got an inferiority complex..or think im better than everyone else because i got to university

ReputationRep:
    no..i'd rather be a pole dancer..

ReputationRep:
    I do actually want to go for it, I was just wondering if other people were considering it too! I'm always tidying up other people's house after house parties and stuff, don't mind getting my hands dirty for a bit of money!

Would they mind if you were 15 and only like 25 days from working age though?

ReputationRep:
    Money is money I spose

ReputationRep:
    yup, i done it last summer and got nearly £6 an hour and only worked for 2 and a half hours in the evening

ReputationRep:
    if the wage was high enough, i wouldn't do it for peanuts and only as a last resort if i couldn't find anything better
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would.
    I'm finding it hard to find a job and in times like these you can't really be too picky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    yes because i haven't got an inferiority complex..or think im better than everyone else because i got to university
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I did for a whole year - £6 p/h, 2 3/4hrs per day, Mon-Fri, whole weekend free The plus being, I cleaned at a school - so I usually had a week off when the schools were off and days off for staff training days ect. all paid! Bad point - The Summer Clean. I worked from 7:30am-2/3pm weekdays with industrial chemicals, 27 degree heat, a cranky-assed boss (who was the devil incarnate :p:) , and people I despised (sp?) in MY summer.

Safe to say, I was happy to leave - but despite all the negative points, it wasn't all that bad. Quiet, relaxed, had a good gossip with the teachers - and my bf now see's me as the complete domestic goddess :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Naturally. I'm working on a farm atm for funds

ReputationRep:
    It's the only job available in the jobcentre apparently...

Mate, job= money so basicially wheres theres muck theres money..

any sort of summer job is hard to find atm, well saying this...i just got a job behind the bar down the local pub on £5.50 ph which is alright

ReputationRep:
    Of course. I don't care about the reputation tbh, as i'd almost certainly be earning more per hour than i do in my job now. (I'm on the minimum wage)

ReputationRep:
    I would take male prostitution as a job i'm that desperate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.