Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you rent a flat through an agency, do you usually need to show proof of earnings?

Say you want to rent a flat that costs 750 pounds a month. One of you will be employed by a family member and earning 15k, the other will be a student with sufficient savings to pay the rent.

What would we need to show to prove we can afford the flat?

ReputationRep:
    If you're students, then normally you don't need any proof, but you do need a guarantor, meaning one of your parents will have to sign a form to say they will pay any rent due if you default.

ReputationRep:
    You need the proof that one of you is getting 15k, do they have a payslip? And your letting agent may want proof of your savings.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    You need the proof that one of you is getting 15k, do they have a payslip? And your letting agent may want proof of your savings.
    He will be starting the job around the same time that we will be getting the flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    He will be starting the job around the same time that we will be getting the flat.
    Then maybe his contract would be proof, how does he know he will be getting 15k? Whatever that is telling him that, show that to the agent.

ReputationRep:
    Contract and a copy of your savings account statement. Proof you can pay it once he's started, proof you can pay it til then

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine you would need proof. Maybe you could get them to have their new employer write a letter detailing how much they will be earning? As long as it's a proper letter and maybe on headed paper it should be fine. They might query how you would be able to pay the deposit/however much rent is needed in advance if they haven't started the job yet?

ReputationRep:
    you'll end up paying council tax if one of the tenants is employed.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by roubiliac)
    you'll end up paying council tax if one of the tenants is employed.
    I know, that is not what I asked... thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    25% discount on council tax as one of you is a full-time student, I know you're not asking about that but as it was taken down that road I thought I'd chip in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    25% discount on council tax as one of you is a full-time student, I know you're not asking about that but as it was taken down that road I thought I'd chip in!
    Thats the same discount you would get if you were employed but living on your own.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have the same thing. You will need a guarantor, probably for both of you at this stage. i was told I could either have a guarantor or pay 6 months up front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Thats the same discount you would get if you were employed but living on your own.
    Yes I know.
    Council tax is based on two or more adults living in a house, if there's only one adult living in a house there's a 25% reduction. As students (along with nuns, monks, the severely mentally incapacitated and student nurses) are exempt from paying council tax any adult living with a student and no other adults would receive 25% discount.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.