Turn on thread page Beta

Is this car worth the money? watch

ReputationRep:
    hi i just bought this car today for £1300 is it worth it? if not how much is it worth?

it has done 85k miles, 2000 (x reg) drives well. only thing is cd isn't working and the clutch is a bit hard to press apart from that its good

pics

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is if your happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's off topic, but for what reason have you blanked out your numberplate? I've never understood why people do that.

ReputationRep:
    Looks in good nick. Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i would say its about right... could always check www.parkers.co.uk if you wanted to.

One random thing I found with the 106s/saxos is that the pedals are soo close together that i struggled to not brake and accelerate at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    I know it's off topic, but for what reason have you blanked out your numberplate? I've never understood why people do that.
    i posted a pic of a car i was gonna buy before one guy told me to remove the number plate. i dont know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredom359)
    yeah i would say its about right... could always check www.parkers.co.uk if you wanted to.

One random thing I found with the 106s/saxos is that the pedals are soo close together that i struggled to not brake and accelerate at the same time!
    yeah the pedals are so close i can put my one foot on both brake and gas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me981)
    i posted a pic of a car i was gonna buy before one guy told me to remove the number plate. i dont know

But surely you don't hide your numberplate when the car is on the road? It just doesn't make sense to me to then hide it on the net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me981)
    You're within your rights to say no.
    If it was in a public place you can photograph whatever you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    You're within your rights to say no.
    If it was in a public place you can photograph whatever you like.
    If it was in a public place the person observing wouldn't have any of your personal details (which some people give out separately on t'internet) I suppose... I dno.. don't really get it either.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    to stop car cloning is why you hide theb reg details, op is there any service hist, interior con etc, if all that is ok then seems an ok buy

ReputationRep:
    i guess it's because people can find out more about you on the internet and make it easier to go and forge plates.. like, if you post a pic on facebook, they have your name, DOB and possibly some info on where you live....

ReputationRep:
    Seems a good buy. Congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    to stop car cloning is why you hide theb reg details, op is there any service hist, interior con etc, if all that is ok then seems an ok buy
    not full service history it has the first 3 years then it was serviced a month ago, it had new exhaust system, new cambelt fitted and 2 new tyres. the interior is good apart from the cd. and clutch is hard, is it possible to fix this without replacing it.

(Original post by Chiko 1001)
    Seems a good buy. Congrats
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    As stated above really. To prevent car cloning and vehicle fraud. Yes you drive around with your vehicle registration exposed on the roads but why hide on the net? many clones are funded on the net by car criminals, it's easier to engage i guess. It's safer to cover as i'm sure you wouldn't want to be a victim. A bit like internet bank frauds, why not rob someone out in the elements, besides it's wrong etc. But easier on the net! As a safety precaution I would highly recommend covering any form of car identity. Car identity theft is high! Not sure if you watch 'cops with cameras'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    i guess it's because people can find out more about you on the internet and make it easier to go and forge plates.. like, if you post a pic on facebook, they have your name, DOB and possibly some info on where you live....
    But if your car is parked at your house they will potentially have access to much more info than that - a car criminal type would just have to walk down a street with a notebook, raiding a few bins for additional details as they went. Sorry, I'm not convinced that it's worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    But if your car is parked at your house they will potentially have access to much more info than that - a car criminal type would just have to walk down a street with a notebook, raiding a few bins for additional details as they went. Sorry, I'm not convinced that it's worthwhile.
    it makes it that bit easier though. I do it sometimes purely out of habit but don't really see why; but I suppose its that much easier for a crook to go online, google 'yellow mg' or 'blue bmw' or whatever and have a plate to forge rather than hanging about to see one on the road.

Instead of going out and having one or two of that car they can google up a good 10 and cycle through them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    it makes it that bit easier though. I do it sometimes purely out of habit but don't really see why; but I suppose its that much easier for a crook to go online, google 'yellow mg' or 'blue bmw' or whatever and have a plate to forge rather than hanging about to see one on the road.

Instead of going out and having one or two of that car they can google up a good 10 and cycle through them.
    I do understand that car identity theft could be easier over the net, but still, there's more that they'd need than just the plate and, if we're honest, the minimal details that they could glean about who you are and where you live from TSR. I know that car identity theft happens - we have an A35; UNP 668, which is itself unsalvageable and has been sitting in bits in a corner of one of our garages for about 40 years. Apparently, however, it is still on the road somewhere, according to the DVLA. We think it's because my dad managed to give away the log book accidentally at some point. Anyway, I'm digressing - point is, as above; I think that the whole blanking thing is fairly pointless.

ReputationRep:
    I do understand that car identity theft could be easier over the net, but still, there's more that they'd need than just the plate and, if we're honest, the minimal details that they could glean about who you are and where you live from TSR. I know that car identity theft happens - we have an A35; UNP 668, which is itself unsalvageable and has been sitting in bits in a corner of one of our garages for about 40 years. Apparently, however, it is still on the road somewhere, according to the DVLA. We think it's because my dad managed to give away the log book accidentally at some point. Anyway, I'm digressing - point is, as above; I think that the whole blanking thing is fairly pointless.
    we're not talking total car cloning though, to drive about steal some fuel, rob a few shops etc and not have the rap chased back to you, but also to not get pulled over on the way to the crime, all they really need is a plate of an identical looking car - it rings up on the ANPR as a red pugeot, and it's on a red pugeot, they don't really think twice unless it looks dodgy, whereas you're going to a crime with an O you've made into an 8 and you're going to get pulled for going equipped.

I've been stopped in wales when driving, as they wanted to check why I was driving about so late, so far away from home on a weeknight, because they're tell-tale signs that a car is on stolen plates or generally stolen so they told me..

I suppose its sort of like why use the theft proof plates - it just makes it a bit harder..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    we're not talking total car cloning though, to drive about steal some fuel, rob a few shops etc and not have the rap chased back to you, but also to not get pulled over on the way to the crime, all they really need is a plate of an identical looking car - it rings up on the ANPR as a red pugeot, and it's on a red pugeot, they don't really think twice unless it looks dodgy, whereas you're going to a crime with an O you've made into an 8 and you're going to get pulled for going equipped.

I've been stopped in wales when driving, as they wanted to check why I was driving about so late, so far away from home on a weeknight, because they're tell-tale signs that a car is on stolen plates or generally stolen so they told me..

I suppose its sort of like why use the theft proof plates - it just makes it a bit harder..

Ok, but even without total car cloning - unless it's an unusual car, it's still fairly unnecessary. I see lots of cars like that Pug every time I go into town, I bet that there would be at least one of the right model and colour in the supermarket car park if I walked around looking for one.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.