Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you enjoy a healthy relationship with your father? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you enjoy a healthy relationship with your father?
    Yes, We're close.
    46.63%
    No.
    53.37%

ReputationRep:
    Yep, we get on really well. Sure he annoys me sometimes but I reckon I'm pretty lucky to be honest.

TBH, I dislike my dad. I cannot hate him because I feel sorry for him. He obviously has serious issues and no confidence of his own. He has no friends, no hobbies, and is terribly old-fashioned. I had no chance in life with a father like him.

What I dont understand is why he even bothered having kids and getting married? He didnt bring me up, that's what he 'employed' my mum to do, so he has no intricate relationship with me, or didnt want one.

Stuff him, but I still pity him. I am a loser because he is a loser. Thanks dad.

lets just say if he dropped dead right now, i'd throw a party.
    i have justifications for my bitter feelings towards him and the rest of the family, he and the brother are very much my most hated though close to the point where i feel nothing
    enemies i don't ever want to keep close.

(i don't mean to offend anyone or be ungrateful)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen my dad properly for about 15 years now, he through choice doesn't want to see me because he is scared that we'll try and get back the £50,000 plus that he owes my mum in child support. He never paid it and every time he came into my life, he would go back out again after a week and run away. However I have learnt to live my life without him and on a major plus side I am incredibly close to my mummy!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a healthy relationship with my father but despite everything, I do love him and always will. No matter what.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me sad that loads of people have terrible problems with their dads :sad:

My dads great, don't really talk to him about really serious things like my illness and blah, but he's great for everything else.
    Much closer to my mother though.

ReputationRep:
    Well that totally depends on what constitutes as healthy and 'close' (as a criterion in your poll).

Me and my father talk, and we are rather known for our arguments, but to me that is healthy. To others, it may not be. I would consider me and my father to be close; our DNA matches. Other people would not class this as being 'close' and rather come to a conclusion of 'closeness' on how many secrets are shared between them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebayqueen)
    My dad's really not nice to me at all.
    I'm wondering if I'm alone in this or not.

my father is an idiot, my mortal enemy.

dear lord, please help me forgive the bustard, even the idiot doesn't deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok, we are a tad awkward but we don't not get along.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god this all really upsets me, i love my dad to pieces, i only see him 5 days a week cos he works away. I have been trying to think up activities for me and my dad to do together when he gets time off so we can spend more time together. I can't imagine not liking my dad or not having him in my life, he is such an important part.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I do feel bad for not seeing him but he's just not an easy person to get on with. Maybe one day
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i do most of the time yes, we occasionally argue but thats life.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me and dad are really close.

I think he is one of the funniest people I've ever known, he's extremely lame and I find that hilarious.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hmm....
    We haven't spoken for a good while, occasionally he mails some drunken letters with a bit of money in them, which my mum usually takes. He also still thinks I'm 15.

I reckon that's perfectly healthy. :awesome:

He left when I was a baby, never paid any child maintenance. I met him when I was 16, willing to forget all of that, and he sexually abused me and utterly manipulated me. I'm still getting over it, and the police are now dealing with it.

So yeah, pretty much a no.

ReputationRep:
    As far as my biological dad goes we don't get on. He's a tool and a poor dad and we haven't spoken in 3 years since i decided it was for the best to cut him out of my life.

Luckily though i do get on really well with my stepdad

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.