Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, 18 in November.
    I haven't even applied for my provisional yet as I am so scared about learning to drive.
    Quite a lot of my friend have passed their tests/theories.
    But I really don't want to do it!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to do it, then don't. You'll just have to rely on public transport and other people. :yep:

I know how you are feeling, trust me. It would be a good idea to learn it and overcome the fear but you won't have to drive all the time - just learn to drive in case of emergencies. It'll be okay, don't worry! :console:

ReputationRep:
    Why are you scared? I only passed a couple of months ago and now driving is a walk in the park, really effortless

Wow, yeah, that wasn't helpful whatsoever :p:

i felt the same when i first started because i was in a car crash a week before my first lesson, but its unlikely you will be in an accident when you are learning considering the instructor will also have controls on their side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13ecca)
    I'm 17, 18 in November.
    I haven't even applied for my provisional yet as I am so scared about learning to drive.
    I was 18 in April, and had my first lesson two weeks ago. Go for it! It's not that bad (Assuming you actually WANT to. Don't do it if you have no intention of getting a car or driving)

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, 18 in November.
    Just hire a decent instructor and he will put you at ease. Don't worry, it's fine, they have a knack of calming your nerves. They will make sure nothing goes wrong :yep: (that's why they have pedals of their own, after all)

ReputationRep:
    if you're scared don't

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to, don't. There's no law saying you have to be able to drive!
    However, if it's affecting your quality of life and restricting you (eg if you live in the middle of nowhere like me where public transport is rubbish and you need to get to school/work/etc) then you might want to question why you're so scared of driving and maybe try a lesson or two to overcome your fear. Reassuring yourself that it's not that dangerous might help - on your first few lessons you'll be on a very quiet road with little traffic, the instructor has dual controls and if a professional, so the chances of an accident are extremely low.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to, then don't, it's no big deal.

But apply for a provisional, it's useful to have it purely from an ID point of view:yep:

ReputationRep:
    What's there to be scared of? Millions of people, if not billions of people in the world drive cars. Most of them come home in one piece. I can't wait to start driving. I know a guy, who knew how to drive when he was just 15.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't drive if you don't have the desire to. If you don't enjoy it / find it scary please don't do it

I'm pleased when people recognise they are not cut out to be drivers rather than think they are and then be a wreck on the roads.

Porscha

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to be scared of - the instructor has controls on their side for if anything goes wrong, and the instructor won't let you do anything they don't think you are capable of.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to learn to drive it is well worth booking a lesson
    just tell the intructor how you're nervous etc and theyll start you off nice and slowly maybes even just in like a car park

but don't if you don't want to

ReputationRep:
    The best way to overcome your fear is to confront it by having a few lessons. Of course it's a little scary when you are in control of a car for the first time, but you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    My brother wasn't scared of driving when he began, but became scared later. He never got over it and has managed to live his life so far without driving. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same as you when I was 17. I had one lesson and decided I didn't like it. I started lessons again when I was 20 and its so much different. I don't think I had the confidence back then (but I still kinda wish I'd done it earlier!) If you don't feel confident enough now, maybe wait a few years

ReputationRep:
    when your driving just imagine all the big hefty half tonne machines nearly coming at you at 40mph and beeping at you like mad.

do this and youll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    when your driving just imagine all the big hefty half tonne machines nearly coming at you at 40mph and beeping at you like mad.

do this and youll be fine.

I shouldn't have laughed, but I did.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, 18 in November.
    seriously driving a car is brilliant, but if your nervous you just might have to take more lessons thats all
    dont worry

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.