Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared of learning to drive Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13ecca)
    I'm 17, 18 in November.
    I haven't even applied for my provisional yet as I am so scared about learning to drive.
    Quite a lot of my friend have passed their tests/theories.
    But I really don't want to do it!
    rofl pussy learn *****

ReputationRep:
    I was scared before I started my lessons, but after having a couple I love driving now! Seriously it's not as scary as you think!

ReputationRep:
    'I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?'
    Dylan Moran

Apart from being brutally killed in a car accident, you have nothing to worry about. You’ll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit scared of driving as well. I've had a few lessons but end up panicking on busy roads and roundabouts, driving is just so aggressive

ReputationRep:
    my dads been driving for 27 years now, and i told him i was terrified to start learning, and he told me he still remembers how scared he was when he was going to start but he said it looks scary now, but when you're actually driving, behind the wheel, its fine. hes never had a crash in 27 years the car crashes and accidents you see in the news are there so often because the media reports them so much, not because everyones having a crash, cos the media often report negative, rare stuff like murder etc you'll be fine, im scared too but we'll be fine
    you don't HAVE to drive a car though if you don't want to, don't feel like you're meant to do it, do it cause you want to xx

ReputationRep:
    Why the rush to learn to drive at 17? I was 24 when I passed and 21 when I got my provisional (I didn't learn for that long). I'm now 25 and have my own car and sometimes don't feel 'grown up' enough to even own one. Why not just wait a few years? you can still get your provisional cos it last 10 years anyway & then you have it for whenever you feel ready to book some lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Don't then, could do with less drivers on the road tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if you're scared then don't

No one's forcing you, there are so many alternatives!

ReputationRep:
    Just book a couple of lessons with an instructor and see how it goes. Most instructors are good with nervous drivers. They will just take you on quiet roads for a start anyway.
    After a couple of lessons, hopefully you will be feeling more confident and wont be so nervous.

ReputationRep:
    You won't know how it feels until you try. And all things are worth a go as far as I am concerned. MOST people will be slightly nervous and apprehensive the first couple of times they get behind the wheel; it is only natural. The more you practice the more confident you become.

If you give it a go and decide that it is not for you, fair play. But you have to consider the future and how not driving may effect your life. Not driving as teenager isn't essential in most situations, but as an adult you may well find that it IS essential. Particularly if you live in a remote area, have kids, have to commute to somewhere out of reach of public transport, etc.

Don't forget that even if you did driving lessons now and passed eventually, there is no law saying that you have to drive afterwards. It is just a very useful skill to have in the event that later on in life you do need to drive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.