Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    People don't get sick of the Tories, they get bored. They get bored and are misled by promises from Labour of a "new, improved" britain. Labour are voted in, spend heavily, and heavier. They **** up Britain, people return to the tories.

We don't **** up Britain for the sake of votes, that is the difference.
    'Sick of' = 'bored with'.

Don't really know where you were going with that.

Also, the Tories have been known for '******* up Britain' in their political history too...

(Original post by Phugoid)

Also, the Tories have been known for '******* up Britain' in their political history too...
    Who do you support, incidently? I agree that the monopoly of the conservatives and labour must end - alternating between the two is no longer enough for the UK, both of them are too corrupted and seperated from any notions of ideology. Both chop and change on any issue at any time and as such its becoming increasingly difficult to actually distinguish between the two in any meaningful way.

ReputationRep:

Sick of = sick of massive unemployment rate, bored with = desire for a get rich quick scheme.

Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    conservatism is not the solution for this country, libertarianism is.
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF F-

(Original post by AirRaven)
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF F-
    Hullo again ... FFF to you too.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is really how entrenched they all are. Look at the tories now; they're not doing massively better now than they'd been doing for the years previously but because labour is crashing and burning everyone flocks to them instinctively.
    "Labour have ****** things up again; now it's the tories' turn to have a go."

Bring in Single Transferable Vote and thus end the safe seats culture; reform the peerages system so that scum like Mandelson aren't entrenched within the system until they die; and stop voting for the two party duopoly that can **** up as badly as they want when they're in government, safe in the knowledge that their predecessors will be just as crap and they'll be back within four elections at the most.

Now if only we could do something about the quality of our journalists...

ReputationRep:
    Better than Commissar Brown.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you mean Jock McHitler?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Although, to be honest history has shown pretty much anyone could "better" britain after a Labour government, seemingly destined to always screw Britain over.

I made a very similiar statement on here a while back and was sneered at.

It's good to see someone who has got their facts right.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you support, incidently? I agree that the monopoly of the conservatives and labour must end - alternating between the two is no longer enough for the UK, both of them are too corrupted and seperated from any notions of ideology. Both chop and change on any issue at any time and as such its becoming increasingly difficult to actually distinguish between the two in any meaningful way.
    Like 40% of the British electorate, I do not support any of the parties in the running for GE. (I suspect that 40% is actually a modest estimate. This is the percentage of people who do not poll, but I suspect that some of the people who DO poll are also non-supporting of the names on the ballot paper).

Rather, I am in favour of a political reform, and a 'none of the above' option on the ballot paper, as they have in other commonwealth countries.

If that option was available, the voting turnout would be a hell of a lot larger, the 'none of the above' would be a hell of a lot more popular, and that would voice the opinion to parliament that the public wants a reform of British politics.

Currently, around 60% of the electorate show up and vote in GE, and in most areas of the UK, the turnout is less then 30%, and politicians think this represents 'what the people want'. In fact, the public want none of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    Why then, are so many of you desperate to have Cameron and the Tories in power? Please enlighten me on how life, on the whole, would improve?
    I think the majority of conservative supporters see them as the lesser of two evils.

ReputationRep:
    People don't get sick of the Tories, they get bored. They get bored and are misled by promises from Labour of a "new, improved" britain. Labour are voted in, spend heavily, and heavier. They **** up Britain, people return to the tories.

We don't **** up Britain for the sake of votes, that is the difference.
    Can you list the reasons as to why Britain is "****** up"? I would argue that there has never been a better time to be alive and living in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    People said Obama was all talk when he first came in. We should give Cameron a go... then vote Lib Dem if he fails to deliver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    That consificating stuff is not a real policy and it will no tbe in the conservative manifesto as it is a stupid idea. However, you cannot decide the views of a country on a stupid policy like that.
    So how come the vice-chairwoman of the Conservative party said that it would be a policy on Question Time last night? And putting stupid ideas on their manifesto hasn't stopped the Tories. Just look at their train wreck of a manifesto in 2005.

(Original post by usainlightning)
    Look at the opinion polls and that is a true showing of how the electorate feels. A landslide tory victory.
    Did you not read anything I wrote in my previous post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Can you list the reasons as to why Britain is "****** up"? I would argue that there has never been a better time to be alive and living in Britain.

Well a lot of the reasons you might argue for Britain being a better place are inflated reasons brought about by the unsustainable spending of NuLab. Right now, we're looking at massive spending cuts and even more tax rises (taking that burden well above 50% of income).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8596017&ref=ts

:yes: Blatant plug.

Like 40% of the British electorate, I do not support any of the parties in the running for GE. (I suspect that 40% is actually a modest estimate. This is the percentage of people who do not poll, but I suspect that some of the people who DO poll are also non-supporting of the names on the ballot paper).

Rather, I am in favour of a political reform, and a 'none of the above' option on the ballot paper, as they have in other commonwealth countries.

If that option was available, the voting turnout would be a hell of a lot larger, the 'none of the above' would be a hell of a lot more popular, and that would voice the opinion to parliament that the public wants a reform of British politics.

Currently, around 60% of the electorate show up and vote in GE, and in most areas of the UK, the turnout is less then 30%, and politicians think this represents 'what the people want'. In fact, the public want none of them.
    I sympathise, you can always spoil your ballot I suppose. In this Norwich by-election there is a "none of the above" candidate running, actually.

I've often wondered how the government can justify all of its laws that dictate to the public what they can and cannot do, when so many people don't vote.

I sympathise, you can always spoil your ballot I suppose. ....
    A spoilt ballot may be spoilt for any number of reasons though and in any event doesn't register those who don't bother to turn up because they are unimpressed by the options and can't officially register their dissatisfaction with the choices before them. A requirement that all ballot papers had a 'non of the above' option would allow statistics to be kept about the number of people who a) do make the effort to participate in the voting system but b) don't think any of the options are worthy of a vote. I think it's a good idea long overdue.

(Original post by Oswy)
    A spoilt ballot may be spoilt for any number of reasons though and in any event doesn't register those who don't bother to turn up because they are unimpressed by the options and can't officially register their dissatisfaction with the choices before them. A requirement that all ballot papers had a 'non of the above' option would allow statistics to be kept about the number of people who a) do make the effort to participate in the voting system but b) don't think any of the options are worthy of a vote. I think it's a good idea long overdue.
    I'd support it as well ... I don't really see an argument against it actually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.