Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I'd support it as well ... I don't really see an argument against it actually.
    Here! Here! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It seems on this thread no one has actually been able to explain how the Tories would better Britian. Think of that what you want...

(Original post by JW92)
    It seems on this thread no one has actually been able to explain how the Tories would better Britian. Think of that what you want...
    Well I think the conservatives are a better option than labour because they're keen on cutting back on government spending which is necessary in areas such as welfare because right now so much taxpayers money is being wasted.

They'd also be more inclined towards allowing business to thrive and taxing the little guys less, which protects against huge monopolies which in theory could lower prices and improve servises. They'd certainly be less likely than labour to use our money on bailouts for failing business and industry, which is obviously very sensible compared to labour policy.

However its only a step in the right direction - they still condone huge amounts of public spending and regulations on business, just because its less than labour doesn't mean its little enough to really help the country. Plus socially I can't really see them improving anything, they're not known to be an especially socially liberal party sadly. Not to mention that they're in favour of this war on terror which is something I massively oppose.

In short - its wrong to think the tories will make everything ok, and save the country. In some areas they have the right idea but don't go far enough, whilst in many areas they don't even have the right idea. But what you can think is that they will make it better than labour, and thats a genuine position to have rather than simply an oppose whoever is currently in power mentality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Well I think the conservatives are a better option than labour because they're keen on cutting back on government spendingwhich is necessary in areas such as welfare because right now so much taxpayers money is being wasted.
    Yes, but does this cut in government spending also constitute to a cut in spending on our schools, health and crime?

(Original post by Snookercraze)
    Yes, but does this cut in government spending also constitute to a cut in spending on our schools, health and crime?
    That depends on how much they're going to cut servises and in which areas. In theory those particular three could see a rise in spending but if everything else was cut then overall spending would be down.

The conservative party are always tough on crime, thats one of their 'things' and as such I expect their law and order spending would rise compared to labour. Health and education would be more likely to take cuts under the conservatives but that isn't necessarily bad - if all the cutting is of waste than its beneficial because the servise isn't worse, but the taxpayer is more affluent and can spend that money elsewhere which stimulates the economy.

As a libertarian I would go in the direction of the conservatives and beyond, i.e. I would try to make huge cuts in many areas, and abolish income tax. So it's easy to see why I would prefer the conservatives. But that said I don't support, vote or like the conservative party because they're pro war, not liberal socially and not liberal enough economically.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, everyone see's them as exactly the same. If that is true then why is there an objection to bringing in a host of new faces to give policy a touch up and have fresh ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, no offence left wing people, but David isn't capable of doing such a bad job as the present Labour Government.

ReputationRep:
    TBH I cann't understand people who spoil their ballot papers, or who would vote 'none of the above' and then complain about the state of politics in this country.

You had your chance to change things, you decided to be some sort of smart arse with your 'i don't like any of them' crap, which has now invalidated all of your opinions till the next election as you couldn't be bothered to exercise your political duty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanningforlifeforms)
    TBH I cann't understand people who spoil their ballot papers, or who would vote 'none of the above' and then complain about the state of politics in this country.

You had your chance to change things, you decided to be some sort of smart arse with your 'i don't like any of them' crap, which has now invalidated all of your opinions till the next election as you couldn't be bothered to exercise your political duty.
    You've got it completely wrong, those who don't have the right to complain are those who don't vote becuase they couldn't care less.

People who take the concious decision to go to the ballot box but don't feel there views are not represented can put "None of the above", this way they went and voted so it is counted as a vote in the statistics. By going and voting they are showing they do care about the issues, but don't align with any party.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. I don't trust the Tory leadership (Cameron, Duncan, Osbourne).

ReputationRep:
    they did it 1979-1997 and they will do it again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    I'm not sure. I don't trust the Tory leadership (Cameron, Duncan, Osbourne).
    Duncan isn't part of the "leadership", he was recently demoted too. And why don't you trust him? The other two I can understand but I can't Alan Duncan.

ReputationRep:
    so, what happens if we get more 'none of the above's than actual votes? Anarchy? The point of politics is that you align yourself with the party who most represents your views. E.g. in the US elections i supported Obama, but disagreed with him on Gay Marriage. But because i disagreed with Palin/McCain on just about everything, i was against them. The same is true here. If you don't like any party you have the option to abstain, but you should not then complain about the elected government as you passed over the opportunity to vote against them.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.noneoftheaboveparty.org.uk/index.htm Going anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc246)
    http://www.noneoftheaboveparty.org.uk/index.htm Going anywhere?
    I really wish, they would allow me to re-create their website.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.