Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, am fairly new to TSR, but thought i would send something out. Anybody currently/will be doing any of the Theatre Practice courses at Central School?? Would be interested to hear from student perspective and also as i don't live locally to London. Would really appreciate info!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hello. :smile:

I'm not currently on these courses, nor have I applied, but I thought I'd share my own minimal experience of the drama school, having visited quite a few times when accompanying my friend who applied to their undergraduate acting course. I went to the Open Day (which pertained partly to all courses), and attended a student production at the nearby Embassy Theatre (directly opposite) in Swiss Cottage. Moreover, I also lived relatively close-by (in Hampstead), so I have a good understanding of the general area and where the drama school is located. The area is north west London, a personal favourite of mine (indicative of why I moved there), and the drama school itself is situated within a spacious square in Swiss Cottage, approximately 3-5 minutes walk from the underground train station, depending (Swiss Cottage Station).

The school looks very much like a large victorian house from the entrance, with a noticeable extension that reaches right back, fusing the old with the new. It's a nice looking school, especially the modern workshops that we were shown. I'd say the closest (and cheapest area) from the school is Killburn, should you choose to live out, although I suspect the school (and the University of London itself) will provide housing, or private rental advice. The school is also very near Finchley Road, which has many restaurants, supermarkets, and a large entertainment complex (the o2 Centre), which has a cinema, pubs, and more restaurants. There's also a large Sainsbury's. So, if you were to live nearby, that's worth noting.

During the Open Day, the classes were clearly student-centered and small. The head of college welcomed all of us and provided an in-depth appraisal of the school, outlining its philosophy, whilst the individual tutors, including the Theatre Practice courses, discussed the outcomes and opportunities they provide, both educational and work.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a prospective Central student and will be studying props making from October.
    I really like the building - Matisse described it pretty well - and the people I met on the Open Day and during my interview. So I can only tell something about these days, but not about the daily life. I'm also from abroad, but I visit London next week for the 7th time.
    In what course are you interested in then?
    I applied for technical and production management, they would have liked to see me in a design course and i ended ab doing props making. :-D

ReputationRep:
    Francescarella is currently a student there - PM her :smile:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Melana)
    Francescarella is currently a student there - PM her :smile:
    as if like magic i heard your call and i appeared

everything matisse says is right however the Embassy Theatre is Central's on in-house theatre, whilst the theatre opposite is actually Hampstead Theatre

oh and there are only about 25 places for central students in intercollegiate halls- the vast vast vast majority of people rent a house nearby on the jubilee line with other Central people.

Theatre practice is very collaborative, no matter what strand you pick and you will work with a lot of experimental theatre, as well as commercial. you will work with a lot of leading practioners,and your terms are based around 2 lectures a week and a LOT of workshops and full-on theatrical projects.

my brain is fried atm so if you have anymore questions just lemme know
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by francescarella)
    everything matisse says is right however the Embassy Theatre is Central's on in-house theatre, whilst the theatre opposite is actually Hampstead Theatre
    Ah, my mistake, I stand corrected. Clearly, I confused the two. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferRebecca)
    I'm a prospective Central student and will be studying props making from October.
    I really like the building - Matisse described it pretty well - and the people I met on the Open Day and during my interview. So I can only tell something about these days, but not about the daily life. I'm also from abroad, but I visit London next week for the 7th time.
    In what course are you interested in then?
    I applied for technical and production management, they would have liked to see me in a design course and i ended ab doing props making. :-D
    Thank you, you were all great help, can I just ask reguarding JenniferRebecca why they would liked to have seen you in a design course instead of your oringianl one??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rumpleteazer)
    Thank you, you were all great help, can I just ask reguarding JenniferRebecca why they would liked to have seen you in a design course instead of your oringianl one??
    Peter - one of the 3 tutors who interviewed me - said that they liked my life drawings, when looking through the portfolio. There were probably more points, since they accepted me for a craft strand, a construction/ making course. But I don't know them. :pika:

ReputationRep:
    Hey all ... I'm currently waiting for a date for an interview for Prop Design (I came out of uni last year down in Kent as I hated the course... Religious Studies :eek3: ) Bad times. Anyway, I have pretty good 'work' to show at interview from A Level Product Design... Did lots of work on Armour and props like that for a drama production... Just wondering what the competition is like as it's pretty much the only place I'm even interested in going, sounds an absolute blast. I've only applied for Rose Bruford otherwise... (Interview on 16th Feb...)

ReputationRep:
    I guess you mean Props Making? If so, then we are 2 in the 3rd year (1 of them abroad), 2 in the 2nd and 6 in the 1st, so a big bunch. The workshop isn't very large, I guess the next year's income of new props makers will be about 1 to 4, maybe up to 6, but that was sort of a exception. If you applied before 15th January, then your chances are the same as everyone's. There are not that many applicants for this course, but as you see with the numbers, Central allows itself to be very picky.
    The course is very good. :pika:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, awesome. It sounds absolutely perfect to me... the only similar course I've applied for is Scenic Arts at Rose Bruford, where props making is part of, but not central to the course. My downside is that I have little theatre experience, being from a purely design & manufacture -based background... I guess I chose it because of the variety & miscellany of products which need to be produced for performance.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't actually matter. Yes, we will do props making for the public theatre productions of Central's acting students and you'll have to create a performance in a group with other students from different strands, but props maker can work in various fields, as props dresser with a photographer for a magazine or in window display, film, advertising and our tutor is totally aware of that. I think about 50% of our current props maker don't want to work in the theatre, at the moment. And I haven't had any theatre experience - or props making experience - at all and got in. Just be enthusiastic about what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    Drama school really does sound amazing, I hope I can make it one day

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks Jennifer, that's actually quite encouraged me, lol. I am hell-bent on this course anyway... I'm actually living in Australia currently and am flying over to the UK for my interview! I have lots to bring to it though, like I said a fairly big armour piece on a mannequin, and a flipbook of drawings, oh and the project portfolio for the armour. I'll just take photos of some of the furniture I've been required to make in the past too, can't hurt...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that shows determination - it must be difficult to bring everything over, just for the interview. They'll love that! Just take everything course related - props, theatre, fine art, manufacture, designs, essays, budgets, schedules, contracts, literally everything, put together nicely. Would you tell me when your interview is? If I got time, I could make a tour and therefore have a peak on your armour piece, lol. XD"

ReputationRep:
    Haha, they said my interview date will come through in the next couple of weeks, but I will definitely tell you when I know . My main problem is getting enough stuff together, because I obviously came out of uni over in Kent, studying religious studies, so I assumed I wouldn't be needing alot of my product design work anymore, so I need to dig it all out haha. I've done a few drawings since, obviously, and will do some more before my interview . I've got big folders full of stuff from my A Levels though, I don't know if that will be enough to make a portfolio out of...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Callum_parton)
    Ah thanks Jennifer, that's actually quite encouraged me, lol. I am hell-bent on this course anyway... I'm actually living in Australia currently and am flying over to the UK for my interview! I have lots to bring to it though, like I said a fairly big armour piece on a mannequin, and a flipbook of drawings, oh and the project portfolio for the armour. I'll just take photos of some of the furniture I've been required to make in the past too, can't hurt...
    it's things like that that made me go all :afraid: at my interview lmao.
    obvs i needn't have worried cos we weren't going for the same course. nevertheless, i looked at my portfolio with pity and remorse.

good luck! 'm sure you'll be fine. just show enthusiasm and potential

ReputationRep:
    Haha, cheers Francescarella I'll bear that in mind... I think I'll find it hard not to be enthusiastic after that flight haha :P

I take it you're on an acting course? ...

ReputationRep:
    Hey im currently in year 12 and looking to apply for either prop making or scene construction at cssd. I havent really been involved in much theatre based projects yet but am really interestind in the courses available. Im planning on getting involved in school productions over the next year and possibly a few out of school productions as well. Could anyone just give me some information on these courses (competition for places, possible carreer choices afterwards etc...). Anything you think would be useful would be very much appreciated and tips on what i could include on my personal statement would be very handy as well thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tom Janaway)
    Hey im currently in year 12 and looking to apply for either prop making or scene construction at cssd. I havent really been involved in much theatre based projects yet but am really interestind in the courses available. Im planning on getting involved in school productions over the next year and possibly a few out of school productions as well. Could anyone just give me some information on these courses (competition for places, possible carreer choices afterwards etc...). Anything you think would be useful would be very much appreciated and tips on what i could include on my personal statement would be very handy as well thanks
    i'm a PS helper so once youve done it you can post it in the PS help section and i can go through it for you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.