Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does this sorry letter cut it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

Bit of advice. I cheated on my boyfriend and he just found out, we are trying to work through it together (his decision). Obviously I am so happy he has decided this as it was a stupid mistake and we have been together two years and been through an awful lot together. Anyway in my heart I want us to try again too but this other part of me feels that I dont deserve him or a second chance. I havn't really apologised for my actions as 'sorry' doesnt really cut it. So while he is out with his mates tonight I have written him a letter and just wondered if you guys could tell me if it sounds ok before I send it.

Ok here it goes,

Dear Chris,

I wanted to write to you because for the first time in my life I cant actually tell you aloud how I feel. The obvious thing to say is that I am sorry for the hurt that I have caused you. However, I know that sorry will do very little to heal the pain that you are feeling, because after all sorry is just a word. It seems pointless to say sorry when the mistake I have made is unforgivable but I do not want it to appear as if I do not care one bit about what I have done and the bitterness and anger it has brought you. I totally deserve all the anger and resentment from you for what I am putting you through.

Having been cheated on myself on numerous occasions I understand that it is a hard to live with the idea of being cheated upon. Not many can put the past behind them (I am a prime example) and revive a troubled relationship. Not many can again find happiness in a man/woman who has betrayed their trust. I understand this perfectly Chris, the wound in your heart needs time to heal, and this is why it is only right that I allow you space to do so.

This relationship of ours is at a crossroad. I know the decision of where we go from here is not mine to make. I relinquished that right when I cheated on you. If you feel that you can no longer find it in your heart to love me the way you used to do, I will accept your decision, although it will be with a ton of regret and sadness.

In my heart I still love you, in fact I love you more than ever, but they say you don't know what a good thing you have until it has gone. Well, a mistake is a mistake, I know I do not have any right to ask anything of you but I do not want this relationship to end. Simply because I still love and care for you with all of my heart. I truly want you to be happy again and with me still being a part of your life. It is possible that this will make us stronger and that one day we could look back and be glad that we did not walk away...But it does not matter to me what I want or feel, what matters to me is your happiness and your well-being. If you no longer feel love, trust and security in our relationship and wish to walk away, I will not stop you.

I want you to know that I am truly sorry for what I have done and it has been unfair of me to have cried in your presence when it is you who is really hurting. My hurt comes from knowing what pain I have caused you and knowing that I have nobody but myself to blame. All I want is for you to have the happiness you honestly deserve and if I cant be the person to make that pain fade away then I really hope that you find someone who is a million times better than me in every way.

Love Always and Forever,

Your Hannah

xxx

ReputationRep:
    awww, a girl writing a letter of forgiveness to her boyfriend...how cute :love:

yeah that seems fine.

ReputationRep:
    I chose not to read it as I believe it is none of mine or anyone elses business here, but whatever you have put - is between you and him and not the rest of us - doesn't really feel like it has any meaning or sentimental value by sharing it with the rest of the world if it was me to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Did not read

ReputationRep:
    Awww....I think it's very good. I know what it's like to feel horribly sorry/guilty about something and not have a way to fix it. It's all in his hands now...I hope he gives you a chance! xx

ReputationRep:
    Believe me if I could shout sorry from the rooftops I would...

ReputationRep:
    Looks good, Is it handwritten?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    "he just found out" - did you tell him or was he told by someone else?

ReputationRep:
    I think its fine, because you have made it clear that it is not your decision as to which way the relationship goes but his, and rightly so as you were the one who cheated.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It sounds a bit formal? But maybe that's just me :dontknow:

Good luck anyway OP

ReputationRep:
    Don't send the letter. Tell him face to face.

ReputationRep:
    aww i think it's really nice

ReputationRep:
    I did not tell him because to me it was the biggest mistake ever and I knew he would not find out from the other person and stupidly thought if I didnt tell him he would never need to know and we could carry on happy. He went through my phone because he has suspicions and found a message on there. To be honest all liers get found out in the end, Im hoping even though it has hurt him alot that he found out and that I did not tell him and tried to hide it from him that this can actually make us stronger as a couple. Sure its going to be hard but what relationship isnt? If we love each other we can get through anything and trust me from someone who said they would never ever cheat after being cheated on an awful lot by others, I suddenly see how easy it is but I also know now how dreadful it makes you feel afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    i just skim read it but it seems a teeny bit like lukewarm to me e.g. "i am sorry" - shove a "so" or summit in there?

otherwise seems alright to me

ReputationRep:
    I think its sweet. I especially like the end bit

'Love Always and Forever,

Your Hannah'

ReputationRep:
    For me no letter will cut it, a girl has to come face to face with me to fight.

ReputationRep:
    I would laugh if his reply is: tl;dr.

But yeah, i would get rid of the bit where you go on about people always cheating on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesshannah1986)
    Believe me if I could shout sorry from the rooftops I would...
    i wouldnt if i was u as its lgihting and thundering where i am...unless u really want to show ur sorry...

ReputationRep:
    'For me no letter will cut it, a girl has to come face to face with me to fight.'

Unfortunately my boyfriend doesnt find it easy to talk about feelings or to listen, so it is better if I write it in a letter. Plus in a letter he can read it in his own time and go back to it if he needs to xxx

ReputationRep:
    You have put a lot of emotion in that letter;
    the letter cuts it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.