Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Summer 2009 is meant to mean freedom: two months break from any form of work or revision – having ended GCSE’s without starting my A level courses yet. I have recently received the news I’ve been accepted into a prestigious grammar schools (conditional to my results) come September I’ll be moving.

This school is incredibly academic and excels in anything traditional, which I thought would be fine with Fine Art, English literature, French and Maths as my A levels.

HOWEVER, everything about the art course there is awful: the teacher, the equipment, the facilities, the course itself. I don’t think I could bare it for 2 whole years.

The conclusion?
    Plan A) continue with art and grin and bear it.
    Plan B) Drop it all together and take something else…
    Plan B looks rather appealing right now.

The OTHER problem is that now I do not know what to fill my empty option block with… I need something that compliments English Literature because that is what I would like to continue to university.

I was thinking:
    English Language (but I don’t want to seem like a one trick pony…)
    Further Maths (again… ditto)
    Theatre Studies (I have no/little dramatic experience but I am a confident speaker, good designer & loooooveeee creative writing)
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Classical Civilisation (This option is looking the most promising at the moment!)

I obviously want to keep it quite traditional. My greatest attribute is my creativity & imagination, could anyone suggest something or lead me down the right path?

Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated! I’m so confused!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any point in doing Eng Language as well as Eng Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I don't think there's any point in doing Eng Language as well as Eng Lit.
    really? why not? i'm not entirely sure what the difference is between them but i was aprehensive because it would mean a lot of essay writing!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for an essay based/strong subject - Economics, Politics maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celia.x)
    really? why not? i'm not entirely sure what the difference is between them but i was aprehensive because it would mean a lot of essay writing!!
    Well there are differences, but English Literature is often seen as the more respected out of the two, and I think people tend to just do one of the two. What about History or Politics?

ReputationRep:
    no offence but if thats what you want to do at uni, surely you should know the difference...?

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I do both english language and english literature (separately) and it's fine. If anything, it really helped when making comments on language in my literature essays.

English language focuses more on linguistics whilst literature focuses on, well, literature :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I do both english language and english literature (separately) and it's fine. If anything, it really helped when making comments on language in my literature essays.

English language focuses more on linguistics whilst literature focuses on, well, literature :tongue:
    so, is eng lang more creative? because that is ideally what i would like
    and (presuming you did it for your own a levels) did you find it too much doing all those english exams and coursework?

ReputationRep:
    History?

ReputationRep:
    Does the college not do the combined A level? That would seem the best option if you want to do both as it leaves you another option free for something else.

So you're looking for good choices?
    Well for AS I did both englishes; but slightly regretted it. As the language course didn't allow for as much creativity as I'd hoped and it was so dry and rigid in comparison to literature!

My other subjects were History and Politics, and that and Literature I carried on this year...and am hopefully going somewhere nice to do English at uni .

Have you considered History?
    EDIT: I found that the three I continued on to A2 complemented each other fantastically; each giving me various background and context for the other subjects! Highly recommended :yes:

ReputationRep:
    so, is eng lang more creative?
    This is my college's description for english language:

This course is designed for students wishing to develop both their ability to write creatively, critically and persuasively in a variety of mediums and enhance their appreciation and enjoyment of the English language. English Language is the scientific study of language and is quite different from the way you studied English for GCSE. It appeals to students who are actively interested in how and why language is used in the way it is. It appeals to people who are fascinated by language; who like to eavesdrop on conversations; who are conscious of the different ways in which people sound; who notice the differences between articles in the tabloid and broadsheet newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    Summer 2009 is meant to mean freedom: two months break from any form of work or revision – having ended GCSE’s without starting my A level courses yet. I have recently received the news I’ve been accepted into a prestigious grammar schools (conditional to my results) come September I’ll be moving.
    Its not Watford is it?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    so, is eng lang more creative? because that is ideally what i would like
    and (presuming you did it for your own a levels) did you find it too much doing all those english exams and coursework?
    It depends on your board I suppose! Mine was far from creative - AQA A. It was mostly analysing texts linguistically, although we got to create one piece for our coursework. I didn't find it too much work at all - the English language exams tended to be a week or two after the literature ones, and coursework deadlines were different etc. The language coursework was a lot more work than the literature though; literature was basically a single essay, but the language went into more depth because it's more technical in that experiments and research methods etc are used :tongue: There wasn't much room for opinion in language essays, unlike literature essays where your interpretation is important.

I have to say, I really hated language AS - it could be really boring at times. I really enjoyed A2 though, and I don't regret taking both literature and language at all If anything, I feel that I've benefited a lot :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Out of the ones you suggested I would choose Philosophy. It allows you to be creative but in a more cerebral way, not artistic but I think it could still appeal? Definitely a rigorous and interesting subject.

Personally though I would choose to do History (if you've done it for GCSE of course), which obviously wasn't in your list, but it is a very good, solid, academic and interesting subject respected by all universities and companies later on and would help strengthen your essay writing skills which would be a benefit for you come the time you go to uni to do English Lit.

I wouldn't choose English Language, but then again my opinions are obviously personal and you may not agree!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't chosen history because I didn't enjoy it at all GCSE's for the reason that the era and topic has to REALLY interest me for me to WANT to learn about it. The course at school will be Henry IV in AS and Labour Reform in A2... not my area of expertise. I need a course I will enjoy!

(Original post by inksplodge)
    It depends on your board I suppose! Mine was far from creative - AQA A. It was mostly analysing texts linguistically, although we got to create one piece for our coursework. I didn't find it too much work at all - the English language exams tended to be a week or two after the literature ones, and coursework deadlines were different etc. The language coursework was a lot more work than the literature though; literature was basically a single essay, but the language went into more depth because it's more technical in that experiments and research methods etc are used :tongue: There wasn't much room for opinion in language essays, unlike literature essays where your interpretation is important.

I have to say, I really hated language AS - it could be really boring at times. I really enjoyed A2 though, and I don't regret taking both literature and language at all If anything, I feel that I've benefited a lot :yep:
    Yes, I did AQA A and HAAATED IT
    So dry, so dull .

ReputationRep:
    I haven't chosen history because I didn't enjoy it at all GCSE's for the reason that the era and topic has to REALLY interest me for me to WANT to learn about it. The course at school will be Henry IV in AS and Labour Reform in A2... not my area of expertise. I need a course I will enjoy!
    How about politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    Out of the ones you suggested I would choose Philosophy. It allows you to be creative but in a more cerebral way, not artistic but I think it could still appeal?
    welll, i LOVE creative writing. in an ideal world in the future i would a choose to be a fictional writer. would it compliment this? - if that is what you meant

ReputationRep:
    Pick physics if you're pretty good at maths, a science is probably your best bet at complimenting your A levels when Uni application time comes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.