Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It appeals to people who are fascinated by language; who like to eavesdrop on conversations; who are conscious of the different ways in which people sound; who notice the differences between articles in the tabloid and broadsheet newspapers.
    this is my kind of thing...
    although, philosophy is appealing right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Pick physics if you're pretty good at maths, a science is probably your best bet at complimenting your A levels when Uni application time comes.
    The OP wants to study English Literature. I don't really think a science would be the "best bet". I dunno about required subjects for English Lit; you may not NEED to do essay subjects, but certainly a science wouldn't put you at more of an advantage.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    Yes, I did AQA A and HAAATED IT
    So dry, so dull .
    Glad someone shared my pain haha! How did you find the synoptic paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celia.x)
    this is my kind of thing...
    although, philosophy is appealing right now
    bear in mind that's from the subject description specifically designed to encourage people to take the subject. It's hardly going to tell you all the boring bits etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    bear in mind that's from the subject description specifically designed to encourage people to take the subject. It's hardly going to tell you all the boring bits etc
    aha... i had not thought of that. but the creative/analytical certainly does appeal! i just keep going back to my original thought that 50% english subjects will be too much :/

ReputationRep:
    aha... i had not thought of that. but the creative/analytical certainly does appeal! i just keep going back to my original thought that 50% english subjects will be too much :/
    I always got the impression that English Language that, whilst different, was basically a less respected version of English Lit. I'm sure I'll get lots of angry responses from English Lang students now...

ReputationRep:
    Lol that's a good point should've mentioned that.

However it sounds like it would be something that would come in useful to you with what you want to do, so maybe when it does come to the boring bits you can just get through it anyway. I find most subjects do have a boring bit, but the good bits make it worthwhile.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you want to study English at university it won't be too much at all.

Make sure you check your board's specification because some of them are not creative at all. I think that misleads people a lot. :tongue: They're very different from GCSE! People think it's going to be all creative writing etc and it's really not. Analysing texts isn't so bad but it can get boring; emphasis is placed on remember technical terms and explaining what it shows, backed up by examples, and it's just... Not as fun as a literary analysis, in my opinion!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I always got the impression that English Language that, whilst different, was basically a less respected version of English Lit. I'm sure I'll get lots of angry responses from English Lang students now...
    I'd say it was only less respected because it's newer. The two subjects, whilst there are overlaps - eg. medieval texts, are very different. I can see why they'd prefer English lit; it's a lot more traditional, whereas english language is very much focused on the language and the way it is used, how it develops, social context etc.

ReputationRep:
    SO, what about classical civilisation?
    to me, at the moment, it looks THAT most promising, with art history, lit & lang and history all tied into one...?

ReputationRep:
    Stick with art??
    I know nobody else has suggested it but:
    -I reckon you would be doing alot of it under your own steam, so you wouldn't need too much nasty teacher exposure.
    - Surely, whatever your art course is, you can adapt it to suit you? There is alot of room for your own creativity and ideas whatever the theme or topic.
    - It's always better to provide your own materials anyway.

I know I'm playing devils advocate, but nobody ever sticks up for fine art!
    (I'll be starting the as course this september )

If you're good at it... then why not give it a shot?
    It will show the unis that you are very very talented in other skills apart from general academia if you manage to get a good grade.
    However, if you're not confident in your artisitic skills themselves, then please, drop the subject.

That's just my opinion for you to mull over

ReputationRep:
    welll, i LOVE creative writing. in an ideal world in the future i would a choose to be a fictional writer. would it compliment this? - if that is what you meant
    It's not creative in a literary, fictional sense but what I meant was that something like Philosophy pushes the boundaries of your norms and how you perceive things around you and in the world. To be good at it you have to be a creative and flexible thinker so that is the sense in which it can help you be creative - that is the kind of angle I'm coming from! However this by no means means that it wouldn't be a good subject for you and wouldn't help you - it could end up helping you to write some very interesting and different fiction.

On English Lang - I don't mean to be offensive to anyone here who takes it (my younger sister does it as well as Lit too) but it seems to be the lesser of the two English's. It seems to be good if you are more in to language learning, development, linguistics etc but I don't see how it would enhance any of the skills you would learn from Lit or provide you with many new ones you need/want to be a writer.

(Obviously I am not the mecca on any of this so don't take my word for everything!)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if people have said this already, but English Language is more to do with aquisition of language (i.e the development of language through time and phases) and consists of writing creative tasks, articles, a bit of Non fiction text. Whereas English literature is the analysis of the books and techniques.
    I was in a similar problem and the teacher said to choose lit as its more widely accepted and opens up more pathways.
    As for your extra subject I would say Philosophy, History, or Economics (goes with maths).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightmushrooms)
    Stick with art??
    art is my special talent. it's my realse, my escapism, what makes me individual (at my art school i didnt have a name, i was just "art freak"). so, it is a VAST part of my life that i will apply to anything & everything i do - albeit maths or even eng lit!!

with or without a level fine art i will keep it up, im doing comissions for a collector of mine (that sounds FAR better than it actually is...) and selling bits and pieces. that way there's no stress and not as much demand. i have heard taking art is like taking 2 a levels but getting 1 grade...

so i figured if i did 4 academic subjects and then presented the universities with my artistic skills/commissions that counts for something impressive ive done outside school? its more of a personal thing i guess...

ReputationRep:
    Out of those Further Maths and Classics sound like good bets - but I really would consider something like History, Economics or Politics - or how about another science or a language? Anything will suit really, but you should consider what you want to do afterwards.

(Original post by inksplodge)
    Glad someone shared my pain haha! How did you find the synoptic paper?
    The eng lit one?
    AWFUL, after 3 hours of history exams preceding it .
    Yours?

ReputationRep:
    right now im thinking it is a split between:
    classical civilisation
    english language
    OR
    fine art, just for lols...?

ReputationRep:
    right now im thinking it is a split between:
    classical civilisation
    english language
    OR
    fine art, just for lols...?
    Just make your own decision; it's you who'll be studying it, not us.

ReputationRep:
    Just make your own decision; it's you who'll be studying it, not us.
    i know, i just need some guidance in my topic areas. if i could learn from someone elses experiences to give me some idea of exactly what i was letting myself in for...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering what the name of the school you are going to next year is? Also, just look through what topics the subject covers at AS/A2 level and decide which you like the most
    x

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.