Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by GazzyG)
    Very sorry to hear about all that's happened, OP.

But I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. This stuff will either make you or break you. If you hold on, you'll come good and come out stronger than anyone you know.

Then you can start helping others by sharing how you got through your ordeals.

All the best.

Gaz
    Yeah i thought so too. No matter what happened over the years i always felt their could be a reason, there was always a bright side to it even if it was 'At least it's making me stronger'. But then during exams after about the 5th time my mum tried to kill herself in 2 months it was a case there was no reason for it anymore. It was ******* up my exams and my only chance of being away, there was no longer a good side to the situation, i wanted to go to this university since i was about 13-14 years old.
    It's a long distance away and means i should be free.
    But hopefully if i write to the university they will still accept me, we'll see i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah i thought so too. No matter what happened over the years i always felt their could be a reason, there was always a bright side to it even if it was 'At least it's making me stronger'. But then during exams after about the 5th time my mum tried to kill herself in 2 months it was a case there was no reason for it anymore. It was ******* up my exams and my only chance of being away, there was no longer a good side to the situation, i wanted to go to this university since i was about 13-14 years old.
    It's a long distance away and means i should be free.
    But hopefully if i write to the university they will still accept me, we'll see i suppose.
    Mate - there's nothing to stop you going to university. I left my A-levels with depression when I was 17, thought I'd never get to see university. Now a few years later I've finished an Access course and start my degree in just a coupla months.

You'll find a way, buddy. If it's what you want, you'll find a way somehow.

On a second note actually. Do people think i should write to the university now?
    My head of 6th form said not to bother until a week before results day(as they may not want details before hand anyway) but surely its better to email or write them a letter now?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus.

Don't give up on University. Sometimes we have to be selfish. You can't control everything your family does sometimes you just have to step away from all that for you. It may be selfish, but you're more important than they are. Your well being is more important.

(Original post by GazzyG)
    Mate - there's nothing to stop you going to university. I left my A-levels with depression when I was 17, thought I'd never get to see university. Now a few years later I've finished an Access course and start my degree in just a coupla months.

You'll find a way, buddy. If it's what you want, you'll find a way somehow.
    Yeah - i think its because i'm so dead set on this university that is the problem. I regard it as the best university in the country for my course and its far away - 8 Hour drive and i've wanted to go their since my early teens.
    - My insurance is still a well respected university in the Russel group - Its 2.5 hours away though and my mum replied with (when i told her im certain i ****** up exams) 'That's not too far, you can come home and visit at weekends!' - while i appreciate she wants me to...i cant deal with her psyco-ness anymore...and i want to finally have a break in university and not have to worry about anything or come back if there is a problem(which if im far away i wont be able to).

*sigh* oh well.
    I'm feeling a bit better about everything now anyway so thankyou . I think yesterday was just a bad day...

ReputationRep:
    life fast die young and get so off your face you won't have to think about it for a few hours

alternatively try praying even if you don't believe in god - a lot of people find it comforting. Or meet up with a friend and give them a hug. Hugs always make me happy if they're from someone I care about.

actually on second thoughts *big manhug*

hope you feel better soon. I find my life randomly messes up every so often: the night before my GCSE english literature exam I was comforting my girlfriend at the time after she had been seriously assaulted and didn't sleep until extremely late and woke up feeling away. It cost me a grade in that subject I think and one of my best friends died in the middle of some exams I needed to take to keep the scholarship at my school. Fortunately I passed them so you hveprobably done better than you think. I'm very good at forgetting the world exists when I have important exams.

However now everything has worked out really well for me, so things will get better for you. Just have faith in yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Buy funerals in bulk, you'll save a fortune

ReputationRep:
    Embrace, the sadness and appreciate you have tonnes to live for.

ReputationRep:
    Well lately I feel that life is all messed and [email protected]#ked up but we can survive.

ReputationRep:
    People like you aggitate me so much, okay you've been through a lot but haven't we all?!
    My Auntie hung herself almost 6 years ago now, but it made me want to be a better person and persevere with life rather than giving up like she did or feeling sorry for myself

I know it sounds harsh, but get a grip, not the whole world is like your family

ReputationRep:
    People like you aggitate me so much, okay you've been through a lot but haven't we all?!
    My Auntie hung herself almost 6 years ago now, but it made me want to be a better person and persevere with life rather than giving up like she did or feeling sorry for myself

I know what you mean. I never really understood all those people lamentating about what happened to others, when those who are actually concerned are the ones who should be worried. As kid I survived a mortal illness, ever since then I couldnt take the whine of others seriously... BUT, that was unjustified.
    Everyone is bound to his own fate and a suffering doenst become "less" just because there are others who suffer more. You have to fight through every bad situation, you expact others to see through you eyes and feel through your experience.
    So, yeah, you are right, we all go through a lot. The only thing we can do is our very best to survive.

So OP, dont feel forced to feel better, just see it as a friendly hint to not give up, other didnt and came back stronger.

P.S. Once again Im sorry if my English abilities arent enough to express waht I wanted to say and cause missunderstandings. cheers:p:

(Original post by tayalouise)

Sorry, but i did sod all wrong. Am i complaining that i have a hard life? Am i saying that im ungrateful?
    NO.
    I've been through so many other things such as sexual abuse, refuges, being shut in the cupboard and crying out for help and then being screamed at for shouting.
    The only adult person i was close to whom wasn't mentioned in this topic, died....it was them who gave me determination.
    I never once said oh i feel really sorry for myself, because i don't. In fact i feel grateful for the things i went through because it's given me insight to the world not many other people have. Im grateful i have the opportunity to go to university, no one else in my very, very big family have.

None of my friends even know any of this.

You know sod all about me so shut up. This topic posted was but with one small part of my life and im no longer embarrassed that i can't cope with having to come home and EXPECT to find my mum dead on the floor because she tried to kill herself so many times in such a short space of time.

And the only other person i care about in the world, my little brother; My mum has said if he goes into care she'll kill herself and him.

So don't judge when you know so little.
    I've grown up with a mother whom has been deemed by several psychologists as having 'the worst child hood they've ever heard of'.
    So don't you go thinking i don't know what a bad life is. I'm grateful to wake up to a light bulb and a bed and heat.

And in regard to this comment:
    persevere with life rather than giving up like she did or feeling sorry for myself
    If it were a single event, aka when i found my friend half dead or even having to watch my mum dragged through the door by her hair, screaming by my dad i'd have been fine.

It's the fact that its event after event after event after event.
    And i always thought eventually it would stop when i went to university and i'd live in peace.
    But once again something ****** it up and its not going to happen.
    And i'm not going to get away.

It's all right for you to say that but it's all i know. A lot of my family have been unfortunate. Another one of my aunts got gang raped and then died from cancer.

And just because i was having a bad few days and struggling to deal with past and present, i don't feel i deserve your hurtful comments. But if i do then, i apologise for this.

ReputationRep:
    And just because i was having a bad few days and struggling to deal with past and present, i don't feel i deserve your hurtful comments. But if i do then, i apologise for this.
    Apology accepted.

Apology accepted.
    Well fine, but what would you have preferred me to do to not have irritated you?
    I don't just go straight to TSR if i have a problem funny enough lol...i couldn't go anywhere else and i wanted help and advice from people who may have been experiencing something similar....does take a lot to ask for help even if it is an anonymous topic on an internet forum...what was wrong with that?

ReputationRep:

Your situation and the OP's aren't really reasonable to compare. You've had a certain unfortunate moment in your life, the OP's is ongoing. She's come on here for some helpful advice on her situation, so get of your high horse and quit with the negative criticism.

ReputationRep:
    things can only get better...stay positive!! *hugs*

ReputationRep:
    I've been through so many other things such as sexual abuse, refuges, being shut in the cupboard and crying out for help and then being screamed at for shouting.[/B]
    Refugees? And damn, social services should of got involved ages ago if thats the case.

My Grandad tried to kill himself
    My aunt tried to kill herself multiple times.
    I found my best friend half dead from trying to kill herself.
    My uncle tried to kill himself.
    My dads dead.
    My mum tried to kill herself multiple times during the most important exams i was ever to have, they'd have go me into uni and i would have been away but now i know for sure i've ****** them up and my dream of being away has gone...all the fighting through everything was worthless, i feel like it was stolen from me. The prospect of uni got me up in the morning....it kept me going.

What does it matter? Every time i try to make a better life for myself something happens and i'm beginning to believe i never will.

I'm exhausted from fighting the urge to be like them, drug taking mentally insane idiots....

Maybe i should just join them. Never having to worry about a thing again.
    My erection died after reading this

OP I can fully relate to your situation... Drugs have torn my family apart too, and I am completely familiar with my families suicide attempts... My parents are divorced. All three of my sisters have at one stage, attempted suicide. Two of which are blatant drug addicts who wouldn't think twice about think about trading me for a hit.

The truth is, not much can be done. I've given my sisters chances, ive forgiven them every time... but it never stops. The night before exams, walking into my sisters room to see her clawing at the walls and ripping her hair out... Me looking after them, started to ruin my life and opportunities.

How did I cope? I took all the savings from my bank, rented an apartment across the road from school... and have never seen them again. I did this at the age of 17.

You cannot expect to get anywhere in life, when people who just don't give a **** drag you down. Sad as it is, sometimes you just have to let them go.

ReputationRep:
    Man i know how you feel. I've lost a lot of friends to drugs + gang related situations. My life is a piece of crap right now but the only thing i have to look forward to is uni. Either die or go to uni seems like my options. I don't really want to die i just want a better life so uni is the choice. I hear it's really fun and there are chances to meet lots of new interesting people. I wouldn't give up until i had tried university and i think you should try it too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.