Turn on thread page Beta

Best way to transfer money US-UK... watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What's the best, cheapest way to transfer $10,000 from a US bank account into a UK one? Has anyone used xetrade?

ReputationRep:
    Might be best to speak to your bank for advice for a swift transfer, as the charges might be quite high on western union/paypal.

Another one to have a look at is a broker such as http://www.xe.com/fx/

ReputationRep:
    Use paypal. www.paypal.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    I have used & highly recommend www.moneybookers.com
    Their fees are very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    You could check the Moneygram fees at your local Post Office, or you could buy a Postal Order and send it International Signed For.

ReputationRep:
    The only sane advice here is to use a broker. Xe has fairly good reviews about the place, never used them myself.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by snu)
    The only sane advice here is to use a broker. Xe has fairly good reviews about the place, never used them myself.
    They're offering me a rate of 1.6532, compared to the official rate which is 1.63. I won't get better than that, will I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    They're offering me a rate of 1.6532, compared to the official rate which is 1.63. I won't get better than that, will I?
    Make sure when you are comparing you take into account any fees they charge not just the exchange rate.

Have you also tried your bank? Mine always gives a good exchange rate and normally doesnt charge (although there maybe one for such a large amount).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Vokes)
    Make sure when you are comparing you take into account any fees they charge not just the exchange rate.

Have you also tried your bank? Mine always gives a good exchange rate and normally doesnt charge (although there maybe one for such a large amount).
    They don't charge fees.

ReputationRep:
    Put it in an envelope, send it to me and I'll keep hold of it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vokes)

An FX broker will be significantly better value than a bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobycs)
    get a check that can be used in the uk
    The fees incurred in cashing foreign cheques are ridiculous (and they take an age to clear). Similarly, it would probably be quite challenging and expensive to procure a sterling drawn cheque from the USD side.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.