Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing starting strength for about 2 weeks now and was making pretty good progress in all of the lifts. I've been doing everything with correct form eating as much as I can manage (skinnyfag) which could be more but I am making gains. However, my squat has stalled at 60Kg (I weigh in at ~65Kg). The guy who was spotting me suggested that I don't go so deep and it did work (but that's cheating the movement so I'd rather stick with my form and increase the weight). So what I'm asking is, what can I do to move it along? Has the 'increase weight every workout' method run it's course and if so why only on the squat?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hank Hill)
    I've been doing starting strength for about 2 weeks now and was making pretty good progress in all of the lifts. I've been doing everything with correct form eating as much as I can manage (skinnyfag) which could be more but I am making gains. However, my squat has stalled at 60Kg (I weigh in at ~65Kg). The guy who was spotting me suggested that I don't go so deep and it did work (but that's cheating the movement so I'd rather stick with my form and increase the weight). So what I'm asking is, what can I do to move it along? Has the 'increase weight every workout' method run it's course and if so why only on the squat?

Thanks
    lol wut?

ReputationRep:
    No it hasn't ended. And you can't cheat; go to AT LEAST parallel.

What weight did you start at?

How much are you eating (breakdown of daily diet, calories etc)?

Are you doing GOMAD?

How much are you adding each session?

What are your other lifts like?

How much sleep are you getting.

Do you have a video?

Rippetoe posts around here these days too, he'll probably be along to help you.

ReputationRep:
    Eat more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    No it hasn't ended. And you can't cheat; go to AT LEAST parallel.

What weight did you start at?

30Kg

How much are you eating (breakdown of daily diet, calories etc)?

I don't actually count as such, I eat an awful lot of meat, vegetable, nuts, eggs and milk. As well as pretty much anything I see.

Are you doing GOMAD?

As well as I can. 6 pints a day maybe.

How much are you adding each session?

On the squat, 2.5Kg

What are your other lifts like?

Progressing fine, press is a little weak and power clean is erratic but nothing to write home about.

How much sleep are you getting.

10 hours, give or take

Do you have a video?

No.

Rippetoe posts around here these days too, he'll probably be along to help you.

I rang him up before, he said you'd know better.
    At least two characters.

ReputationRep:
    :iiam:

Are you disabled in anyway?

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    What are your bp/deadlift/press stats?

ReputationRep:
    adding 2.5kg every session? o_O
    sounds a bit much to me... add less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    Careful... you're treading thin ice...

ReputationRep:
    wtf is skinnyfag?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I thought about lowering the increments but my gym doesn't have any smaller weights and all of my other lifts are progressing fine at that rate.

Bench Press - 40Kg
    Deadlift - 70Kg
    Press - 35Kg

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    wtf is skinnyfag?
    I mean I'm a skinny ***** trying to beef up, rather than a fat guy trying to tighten.

ReputationRep:
    What the **** are you trying to say ****-face?

ReputationRep:
    I mean I'm a skinny ***** trying to beef up, rather than a fat guy trying to tighten.
    Oh, you're a girl?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh! made a mental note about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Oh, you're a girl?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Stop goddamn confusing me!

Nobody stalls after 2 weeks. First off, you haven't gone up by 2.5kg every session. 2 weeks = 6 sessions = 15kg, not 30kg. I know most people can do bigger jumps in the beginning but you seem to be having trouble.

There must be something form related too. You still won't know what you're doing after months, let alone 2 weeks. Get a video and post it up. I don't care if your friend said it looks good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Nobody stalls after 2 weeks. First off, you haven't gone up by 2.5kg every session. 2 weeks = 6 sessions = 15kg, not 30kg. I know most people can do bigger jumps in the beginning but you seem to be having trouble.

There must be something form related too. You still won't know what you're doing after months, let alone 2 weeks. Get a video and post it up. I don't care if your friend said it looks good.
    This clown doesn't know ****.

Are you using hip-drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    This clown doesn't know ****.

Are you using hip-drive?
    Sorry coach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

This. Must be form or you just arent working hard enough :p:. I weigh less than you OP and squat 25kg more but i've got an older mate whose done SS and other compound workouts advising me on form as we go. I'm only on my 3rd session of SS.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.