Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a week in Singapore at the end of September, and plan to fly somewhere in that region for 5 days. Curently I am considering Kota Kinabalu, Borneo, or Krabi/Phi Phi area Thailand.

Anyone been to Thailand in this "Off season". Where did you stay? I will be on my lonesome, so would want some younger hostel-type accommodation.

WHat was nightlife like at this time of the year? I hear Phi Phi is full of Swedes.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to phi phi in the 'off season' and found it quite ridiculous that it is called so

the weather is just fine - it rains a bit more but mostly at night so if anything its good for a comfortable nights sleep

I would say that due to it being called the off season, it did feel quite quiet (we stayed on long beach, it might have been best to stay in town). It also felt quite 'couply' - I was with a mate and it was quite strange - again this could have been the location we chose

If possible, I'd head to the east coast instead. Koh tao is an amazing island and it will be busy. Probably best to stay in the town area where there are more bars and restaurants

ReputationRep:
    Thailand is the ******* hedonists haven.

ReputationRep:
    Phi Phi is the nicest island in Thailand in my opinion, go there. Fantastic snorkelling opportunities. More expensive than other islands though.

ReputationRep:
    Phi phi experiance from literally 2 weeks ago. When to a beach party, I think the bar was called Apache?
    One of my mates was talking to a Thai girl and then a Thai guy smacked him in the face, obviously my mate retalliated then 10 Thais beat up 3 of my mates causing them serious injuries. Police did nothing simply because they are paid off by the bars to keep their mouths shut.
    Its beautiful if you want to go scuba diving which is what I did, but the nightlife this time of year is terrible. Most places shut at 12pm if not latest 2am.

Personally I'd forget the idea of Phi Phi and go and stay in Lamai beach in Samui, much nicer, more to do, lively nightlife.

Also in terms of places to meet tourists, phi phi i dont think has any hostel style accomodation and I met nobody there except people on my diving trips.
    Samui was very different, every bar you go you meet people, whether 'Farangs' or Thai's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Phi phi experiance from literally 2 weeks ago. When to a beach party, I think the bar was called Apache?
    One of my mates was talking to a Thai girl and then a Thai guy smacked him in the face, obviously my mate retalliated then 10 Thais beat up 3 of my mates causing them serious injuries. Police did nothing simply because they are paid off by the bars to keep their mouths shut.
    Its beautiful if you want to go scuba diving which is what I did, but the nightlife this time of year is terrible. Most places shut at 12pm if not latest 2am.

Personally I'd forget the idea of Phi Phi and go and stay in Lamai beach in Samui, much nicer, more to do, lively nightlife.

Also in terms of places to meet tourists, phi phi i dont think has any hostel style accomodation and I met nobody there except people on my diving trips.
    Samui was very different, every bar you go you meet people, whether 'Farangs' or Thai's.
    That sucks about your friend, surely he must have done something to cross the line? I can't imagine they'd beat him up for just talking to this girl.

That sucks to hear that the nightlife is dying down now
    I was hoping to party like it was for an MTV video.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    That sucks about your friend, surely he must have done something to cross the line? I can't imagine they'd beat him up for just talking to this girl.

That sucks to hear that the nightlife is dying down now
    I was hoping to party like it was for an MTV video.
    If my friend was crossing the line I would have stated or not even mentioned this at all. He was simply talking to the girl, who was actually interested to talk to him.
    We spoke to a British guy who owned a bar close to where it happened and he said that the Thai men are always targeting foreigners and are very jealous of foreigners talking to the Thai girls.

The nightlife is only dead in Phi Phi, elsewhere it is crazy still! Samui, Koh Phag nan, Phuket, Chiaing Mai all have good nightlife right now!

ReputationRep:
    Thai men can be very jealous and sometimes bad tempered and violent.
    And of course, they think that your friend was trying to chat up that girl :/

ReputationRep:
    Coral Bungalows in Ko Phangan is good for meeting people in. Not cheap around full moon time, but then again not many places on that island are.

If you want hostel style places and young people then Phi-Phi probably isnt your best bet, Phangan and Tao are most likely to be best.

ReputationRep:
    I miss Phangan

I spent my days just biking around the island, and nights partying.

(Original post by Wanischa)
    Thai men can be very jealous and sometimes bad tempered and violent.
    And of course, they think that your friend was trying to chat up that girl :/
    I almost got beat up by some dodgy Thai men because a pair of Thai girls decided to point me out and smile to eachother. The guys did not like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.