Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered if anyone you know has been affected by it and are any of you concerned after watching the news this evening?

Just heard - 65,000 people could die from it - this year alone!!

Anyone else panicking? . .

ReputationRep:
    i know someone on here who has it :yep:

tbh so far it has killed fewer people than NORMAL flu. and i watched a news report before it hit britain and they were predicting stupid numbers like 50,00 to die in the first couple of months blah blah. which hasn't happened has it. so i'm inclined to not be as worried as the news is trying to make us

ReputationRep:
    I know my town has a number of quickly increasing cases....I am actually worried about it now although I know the chances of death are still pretty low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesshannah1986)
    Just wondered if anyone you know has been affected by it and are any of you concerned after watching the news this evening?
    Not yet still more people dieing from normal seasonal flu on average, but i admit it sometimes worrys me

ReputationRep:
    ive had it

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that worried about it. Around 22.000 people die from flu each year so it's not that much higher than normal.

I'd be worried if my grandma got it though. She's ill most of the time and I'm really worried of what might happen if she get's it.

ReputationRep:
    One big hyperbole.

Where's those documentaries on Malaria again?

ReputationRep:
    Im a bit worried because I work in a hospital so yeah....guess Im at risk really...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, someone I know has it. Poor baby... :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried about it in general, but I am worried about my grandad getting it. He's in hospital at the moment (having an operation tomorrow morning), and I'm really worried some poorly person will infect him and it will NOT mix well with his emphysema.

I'm ill at the moment so mum has sequestered me away from the world just in case, but I don't think it's swine flu.

ReputationRep:
    I know several people who have had it. In most cases, it's really nothing to worry about. In fact, I've had several of the symptoms myself. I may well have had it.

Anyone got any idea as to when it'll get quiet? . .

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be terrible this winter... particularly around Freshers week. The amount of people who just catch flu is really high. I hope I'm not going to get affected by swine flu.

(Original post by Dionysus)
    I know several people who have had it. In most cases, it's really nothing to worry about. In fact, I've had several of the symptoms myself. I may well have had it.
    Mind me asking what symptoms did you have? . . I have had this weird sore throat for a few days and this weird shortness of breathe that comes and goes . Had a dry cough as well . .but that seems to have subsided but still got the sore throat thingy.

(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    It's going to be terrible this winter... particularly around Freshers week. The amount of people who just catch flu is really high. I hope I'm not going to get affected by swine flu.
    Yea Fresher's week is going to be awful!! Gawd . . .

ReputationRep:
    No its ******** 29 people have died and most had other health problems or were very old/young.why worry the government are only looking at the worst case scenario, they said bird flu was as bad.

ReputationRep:
    My friend's got it, as have several people who all went to some county band type thing last week. Apparently it makes you feel like **** but no more than normal flu does.

I'm hoping it'll get quiet when the rest of the world realises this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)

oh well, save some money then :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think I had it, didn't go to doctors to check though.

(Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Just heard - 65,000 people could die from it - this year alone!!

Anyone else panicking? . .
    No and you really shouldn't panic.

It says could not will/definitely and as the reporter just said "it's an extreme possibility but highly unlikely" (or something like that) so there's no need to panic.

Two family members I had contact with a couple of weeks ago have it, well one still has it and the other a child did suffer from it quite badly for weeks but is a lot better now and no I'm not concerned.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.