Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My best friends brother got taken into hospital yesterday and has been diagnosed with it.
    Such a shame as she is having a real bad time ATM.

ReputationRep:
    my mam has got it! and to be honest its soo pathetic its not at all like a normal flu its not even as bad as a cold and she said that hersaelf!!
    i know people have died from it but most of them had other complications!
    my mam has had it now for a week and i havent left the house since then just in case and no one else in my family has got it!
    sooo people shouldnt really worry about it
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Umm.. what's this freshers week?

and also.. there's loads in bristol. I know some people in my class who have it and at my old school there's been cases too. plus a pregant teacher there was told to leave because itcould affect the baby

I think i've had it, but it's gone.
    Loads of people have it and not know.. and most don't need that tammyflu jab.
    I think once it mutants again, thats when more people will die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Mind me asking what symptoms did you have? . . I have had this weird sore throat for a few days and this weird shortness of breathe that comes and goes . Had a dry cough as well . .but that seems to have subsided but still got the sore throat thingy.
    Mine haven't been as bad as that. Just badly aching and sneezing quite a bit. I've only had that for a day or two though, will probably get worse yet.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I've got it at the mo, temp of over 38 deg and achey/shivery/headache etc. But it's nowhere near as bad as the flu I had a few years ago. I think the reason people are panicking so much is that it's the sheer number of people who are likely to get it (due to it being a new strain to which we have no resistance) rather than the amount of deaths it will cause. Just my opinion. )

Well tbh I think to go from 9,718 to 55,000 is a bit of a jump, and I think thats taking some believing - it just seems to be too much to go up 45,282 in one week. Plus the death rate is 0.03% if the 65,000 deaths and 20,000,000 infections are actually true. - 65,000 just seems like a huge no. which it is but then you think of the population of the UK and England in particular - roughly 55,000 will be English deaths I reckon

(Original post by sleekchic)
    No and you really shouldn't panic.

It says could not will/definitely and as the reporter just said "it's an extreme possibility but highly unlikely" (or something like that) so there's no need to panic.
    Perhaps I should stop listening to the news and panicking at any piece of information that sounds :woo: . . .

(Original post by Dionysus)
    Mine haven't been as bad as that. Just badly aching and sneezing quite a bit. I've only had that for a day or two though, will probably get worse yet.
    I've got various aches in my body but I don't know if that is from the gym last weekend as I hadn't been for agess or its a sign of it! Plus I have this stupid sore throat that just randomly started 2days ago!!! I have been sipping the Sainsbury's own sore throat thingy and im guna try some strepsils - see if it can shift. Hmmmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I'll get it at SOME point this summer.

I'm going to Reading Festival, and I ALWAYS come home with a cold after that.
    The day after that I'm flying out to Southern California, near Mexico, where it was pretty common.
    Then I'm going to uni for freshers flu.

All in the space of about 3 weeks. Huzzah!

ReputationRep:
    :O I hadnt thought about Freshers week (which Im definitely gatecrashing) I may take to wearing a surgical mask.

I managed to survive 3 days at Download festival without getting swine flu though (y)

I don't care about it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know of anyone personally till this afternoon.
    One of my mates came to football and said she had been on the phone to one of the other players who said 'I'm in hospital. I have Swine Flu!' My friend thought she was joking and said 'Yeah, alright. Just get all better before the end of preseason or you wont get to play in the first match.' And the girl burst into tears. Whoops!

I wasn't really worried till I saw the new figures, and the fact that people were now dying from it without any other major medical problems

ReputationRep:
    my friend has it!!!!!!
    and two others have also. ahhhh

(Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Perhaps I should stop listening to the news and panicking at any piece of information that sounds :woo: . . .
    That's not what I'm saying. By all means listen to the news but don't just panic at every statistic they pander about.

I've got various aches in my body but I don't know if that is from the gym last weekend as I hadn't been for agess or its a sign of it! Plus I have this stupid sore throat that just randomly started 2days ago!!! I have been sipping the Sainsbury's own sore throat thingy and im guna try some strepsils - see if it can shift. I had a weird cough too, but that has gone. So hmmmmmm.
    Have you called NHS Direct/your GP and why not?

If you have a sore throat then you should have called them or your GP.

(Original post by Seely)
    Umm.. what's this freshers week?

and also.. there's loads in bristol. I know some people in my class who have it and at my old school there's been cases too. plus a pregant teacher there was told to leave because itcould affect the baby

I think i've had it, but it's gone.
    Loads of people have it and not know.. and most don't need that tammyflu jab.
    I think once it mutants again, thats when more people will die.
    Freshers Flu is basically flu that the majority of students get at the start of the term. A lot of my mates had it - and couldn't come to lectures. Had to stay wrapped up in bed for a good week, trying to get over it.

So with freshers flu AND swine flu going around - things start to get a tad worrying! Hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    I have it right now! It's really not that bad. I was only really ill for about one day but it is taking ages to get completely better. My stupid cough won't get better
    I had booked tickets for Harry Potter on wednesday and couldn't go :'( thats been the worst part of the illness!
    So yeh, i think everyone should stop panicking, you will be fine if you don't have any other health problems (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I AM SO SICK OF HEARING ABOUT SWINE FLU

IT'S NOT THAT BIG A DEAL

IT'S BEEN HYPED UP BY THE MEDIA BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO FOCUS ON

IT'S NOT AS BAD AS NORMAL FLU AND NO ONE PANICS ABOUT THAT BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!

MORE PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM NORMAL FLU WHICH IS MORE SERIOUS

JUST BECAUSE IT COMES FROM PIGS EVERYONE IS FREAKING OUT AND IT'S RIDICULOUS!

STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT PLEASE!

ReputationRep:
    Just signed into facebook, every other status is about swine flu. seriously. a quiz reading, 'do you have swine flu?'.....we're not gonna hear the end of this

(Original post by sleekchic)
    That's not what I'm saying. By all means listen to the news but don't just panic at every statistic they pander about.

Have you called NHS Direct/your GP and why not?

If you have a sore throat then you should have called them or your GP.
    LoL No I know that is not what you were saying, but when ever I listen to the news - at anything that is scary I start to panic - so don't fret im not saying its you, its me! (hope that kinda makes sense).

Nah haven't bothered with the GP/NHS direct as I haven't had a bad headache, sneezing, bad cold which comes with it - just this sore throat and aches. I will watch it - if it gets worse then I shall consult a GP/NHS direct.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should just die

No one should be spared

http://rj55.com/swine-flu-image-1.jpg

ReputationRep:
    half my year has it after coming bak from wakestock... :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.