Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    there's 20+ people at my school with it and well pretty much all the schools in town.
    i'm concerned but only coz i'm going on holiday next week and really don't want to get ill while away.
    other than that it doesn't worry me too much.

ReputationRep:
    i think its spread to my area, a group of people went to tenerif and came back with flu like symptoms recently, but doesnt worry me one bit tbh

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMK_yu8APg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibL...eature=related

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Bew...90715-508.html

I highly recommend that you do not take the vaccine if you are in your late teens/20's and have a decent immune system.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite scared, cos my school's got it and they aren't closing down. I'm worried my boyfriend will get it

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask, have those who said they have swine flu actually had it confirmed by a doctor? I have heard from someone who had it that you literally cannot move to do anything when you have swine flu.

And yes it is going to get much worse in the winter, 1 in 3 people will be likely to get it (I am taking this from the crazy research my boyfriend has done on it lol).

ReputationRep:
    ok so my head feels like its going to explode
    im sleepy
    im achy
    i have a sore throat
    and i feel nauseus (how do you spell it?!)

also my bf's been in contact with somebody who has swine flu

so yeah im pretty sure ive got it

but i cba ringing the doctor tbh!
    im just gona let it sort itself out like i would with regular flu (Y)

so no im not worried for me personally

but i am worried for the older members of my family (N)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherbearbunnykins)
    Can I just ask, have those who said they have swine flu actually had it confirmed by a doctor? I have heard from someone who had it that you literally cannot move to do anything when you have swine flu.
    Bit like 'flu then...

Generally, we're not swabbing people with 'flu symptoms because viral PCR is expensive, takes ages and is a bit of a waste of time really since the management's essentially the same.

So, most people who say they have had swine 'flu, might have had swine 'flu or they might have had 'flu.

ReputationRep:
    My Mother's Friend's Son got it and ended up in hospital (he has respiratory problems already). Other than that, I know of nobody that has had it.

I'm not really worried, more people die from Seasonal Flu generally... Out of the the thousands of cases 29 people have died, so it's still a pretty low affected:death ratio, obviously 1 death is too many, but people should just calm it down a little bit

ReputationRep:
    Panicking? No, it's just the same as any other flu, except less people are immune to it so it spreads easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    I highly recommend that you do not take the vaccine if you are in your late teens/20's and have a decent immune system.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I know countless people that have had it, I just kinda hope I get it when not much is going on. I don't fancy being bed-bound for a few days if i've got lots planned

ReputationRep:
    This seems like the right place to ask a question

I havent got swine flu yet and no one round me seems to of either. However they say it badly affects those with underlying health issues - I since the age of 12, have had problems with one of my lungs. My GP still hasnt confirmed what it is but it's basically that the air in that lung is delayed and causes mucus to build up when I have a bacteria infection which starts off in my throat but due to this moves to my lung and causes a lung infection. Does this mean if i was to catch swine flu, I'd be really ill? I have been offered the flu vaccine before.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got it and I don't know anyone who does. I'm not worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not worried, even though I'm potentially in the "at risk" group due to being asthmatic. I'm even less worried now, seeing as I'll be receiving my Relenza from work on Wednesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMK_yu8APg
    I'm sorry, but that is David Icke. That man believes that the Queen, and other famous figures, are secretly lizards. Don't take his word for anything.

Not wishing to slam you personally, just found it funny.

But I'm not overly worried about Swine Flu if I'm honest. Yes, occasionally I do ponder it, but I don't think it's gonna be too bad.

And also, for some reason, the only way I can comprehend any serious natural disaster is if it wipes out a number of footballers. That would mess my mind to the point of worrying to be honest. Don't know why, just that's what happens.

ReputationRep:
    I had it.

It was no match for my immune system.

My T-cytotoxic lymphocytes pwned them. :awesome:

(Original post by LyssaJane-x-)
    This seems like the right place to ask a question

I havent got swine flu yet and no one round me seems to of either. However they say it badly affects those with underlying health issues - I since the age of 12, have had problems with one of my lungs. My GP still hasnt confirmed what it is but it's basically that the air in that lung is delayed and causes mucus to build up when I have a bacteria infection which starts off in my throat but due to this moves to my lung and causes a lung infection. Does this mean if i was to catch swine flu, I'd be really ill? I have been offered the flu vaccine before.
    I would take the vaccine. It miight casue some sort of complication in your condition.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that I've been neg repped for telling the truth.

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny, at work (library) every desk has these bottles of hand sanitiser and disinfectant wipes as if we are all at terrible risk of catching it immediately. I am wondering how long till we break out face masks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesshannah1986)
    Just wondered if anyone you know has been affected by it and are any of you concerned after watching the news this evening?
    I'm a bit concerned about it because it's getting really bad now. I'm not worried about dying or getting it, but I know others who are vulnerable and could do without getting it. I think that it is more worrying to think how the country would cope if thousands of people were dying in short spaces of time, or if loads of people are off sick. How will undertakers and health staff cope with the demand of ill people, and bodies? scary

ReputationRep:
    unless you have underlying health issue, or are old or young, it could be a issue

people die from normal flu

i do like how the news and government are blowing this out of the water a bit going over the top, and doctors are like meh its not going to be that bad chill

lol freshers week, people with freshers flu could become confused and go OMG i've got swine flu, uni's halls are bad for stuff like this, one person gets it, it will do the rounds, colds were the worst

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.