The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have it. Gives me an excuse not to interact with the parents. :smile:
Last time I got normal flu I couldnt move my back and it gave me asthma. So im pretty ****** if I get this ****
Reply 62
SoundDevastation
ive had it :biggrin:

4real?
Reply 63
malleablegrace
Lol that I've been neg repped for telling the truth.
You don't understand the truth.
Reply 64
robinson999
unless you have underlying health issue, or are old or young, it could be a issue
I presume you mean that you think it won't affect the otherwise healthy population? I would suggest that some further reading may be in order.
Reply 65
That's a fallacy. It's being found that more people aged between 20-40 are getting it and dying of it, and those outside of those age groups have severe underlying medical issues. Also, the over 65s AREN'T getting it, or dying of it, so they have some immunity that we don't. Anyone thinking Asian/Hong Kong Flu outbreaks have given some immunity for this?

Us lot are getting it cos we spend more time together in groups then others do.
Reply 66
Yeah I had it and was clear within 3 days. The first day was the worse, headaches and difficulty breathing coupled with all the other familiar flu symptoms. Such as feeling Clammy but shivering and generally feeling awful and sickness but not actually vomiting. The headaches was the most noticible though, so much so that I couldnt turn my head and I was constantly trying to keep it still as it would ache so much if it moved even slightly.

At first I was joking it was swine flu but never believed it. But my mum is a Microbiologist confirmed it to my dad and told me that I didnt have it, but I heard her say it was to my Dad, confirmed. Thats the only time it worried me, because for the last 4 months of my mums working days she has been dealing with it (in directly) and the fact that she is worried (the woman who would give me paracetamo when I was feeling sick and didnt want to go to school and would be followed by 'man up') scared me. I had never seen her quite so worried.

But its all good now, if you get it. Just stay in your bed or your room and take all the normal flu remedies (Lemsip/Beechams/Paracetamo/Nurofen and even a bit of the old vapour rub). But whatever you do, do NOT take Cough Syrups or any other kind of Flu Syrups as they only help push it and cannot cure it. It will then come back worse than before.
Reply 67
princesshannah1986
Just wondered if anyone you know has been affected by it and are any of you concerned after watching the news this evening?

I didn't watch the news, but over here it's already hit seven people and it only arrived a week ago. They keep saying it's in it's 'contentment stage' which kind of implies we're going to have a boom of it soon, and I work in a chemist where we now have to use anti bacterial hand gel after every customer... bit worrying how already it's becoming resistant to Tamiflu :eek:
elfen
That's a fallacy. It's being found that more people aged between 20-40 are getting it and dying of it, and those outside of those age groups have severe underlying medical issues. Also, the over 65s AREN'T getting it, or dying of it, so they have some immunity that we don't. Anyone thinking Asian/Hong Kong Flu outbreaks have given some immunity for this?

Us lot are getting it cos we spend more time together in groups then others do.

Deaths happen across all age groups for Swine Flu. This belief that it will only effect 20-40 year-olds is clearly false because a lot of the 29 deaths have been outside of this age bracket.

Obviously there's going to be more deaths around 20-40 years old because there's a higher proportion of the population in those ages.
Reply 69
Stu Laverty
Deaths happen across all age groups for Swine Flu. This belief that it will only effect 20-40 year-olds is clearly false because a lot of the 29 deaths have been outside of this age bracket.

Obviously there's going to be more deaths around 20-40 years old because there's a higher proportion of the population in those ages.

Swine Flu is a different strain of Influenza. Where as most Influenza targets the Young and Old, Swine flu is actually most common in the age group 20-40, and the highest group is 20-26. Which is very strange because this is the strongest most healthy period of life. However Swine flu in rarer cases can infect young old and basicially anything. The only people who can die from swine flu are the people who are young or old, or have an underlying condition. The most common underlying condition to partner with death from swineful is breathing conditions. As Swine flu itself already constricts your breathing.

The most common infected groups are 20 to 26, however its rare that any of them could die from it. But, if you are old (45ish plus) young (1-10) or have an underlying condition you have a better chance of not contacting the flu, but if contacted, you have a higher chance of death from it.
DancinBallerina
Just heard - 65,000 people could die from it - this year alone!! :s-smilie:

Anyone else panicking? . .

They said that the 65,000 figure was based on models and predictions based on previous flu epidemics in the UK.

So it takes in to consideration the large numbers of elderly and ill people who tend to contract flu. Yet this swine flu does not tend to be affecting the eldery too much and so changes are fewer of them will get it and fewer elderly people will dye from it meaning the likley number of deaths will be much lower than the upper level of 65,000 predicted.

Isn't the lower level at 19,000 people? And don't somewhere between 5,000 and 15,000 people die from flu in usual years? So considering this is a enw strain of flu, meaning more people are likley to get it this year, then even double the number of deaths in a normal year isn't too bad.
I hope it doesn't mutate and becomes sth like this... It's the same strain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

The unusually severe disease killed between 2 and 20% of those infected, as opposed to the more usual flu epidemic mortality rate of 0.1%. Another unusual feature of this pandemic was that it mostly killed young adults, with 99% of pandemic influenza deaths occurring in people under 65, and more than half in young adults 20 to 40 years old.
malleablegrace
I AM SO SICK OF HEARING ABOUT SWINE FLU

IT'S NOT THAT BIG A DEAL

IT'S BEEN HYPED UP BY THE MEDIA BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO FOCUS ON

IT'S NOT AS BAD AS NORMAL FLU AND NO ONE PANICS ABOUT THAT BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!

MORE PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM NORMAL FLU WHICH IS MORE SERIOUS

JUST BECAUSE IT COMES FROM PIGS EVERYONE IS FREAKING OUT AND IT'S RIDICULOUS!

STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT PLEASE!

Agreed.
Reply 73
The media is really hyping up this swine flu business - there's no point being scared of it just be aware. My friends whole family had it and they're fine. The only people who have died from it were already ill - if the media hyped up normal flu like this then everyone would be worrying about that. You can recover from it you just need to stay healthy and rest lots if you get it. Just because it's new doesn't mean you should feel unsafe..

:smile:
Reply 74
Hinna_x
The media is really hyping up this swine flu business - there's no point being scared of it just be aware. My friends whole family had it and they're fine. The only people who have died from it were already ill - if the media hyped up normal flu like this then everyone would be worrying about that. You can recover from it you just need to stay healthy and rest lots if you get it. Just because it's new doesn't mean you should feel unsafe..

Your right, but the reason the Media are hyping it up is because that at the end of the day, its a type of Influenza. Influenza, typically starts small and spreads fast and the faster it spreads the more immune it becomes to drugs and the stronger its effects are. Research Spanish Influenza and you will see why the Media and Scientists around the world are ******** themselves.
Hinna_x

That is not completely true; recently healthy people have died, take that little girl for instance.

I can understand being fed up of hearing about it but I just hope people will be become a bit more aware and if you feel ill STAY AT HOME!!
My mum's friend's daughter has it.
Reply 77
The media really aren't helping me to stop worrying about getting it, especially as I'm diabetic and the last time i had 'normal' flu (despite having the flu vaccine) I could barely walk round the house for about 10 days and my glucose levels were all over the place, making me feel even worse. And whenever it's reported someone else with "underlying health issues" has died from swine flu, I can't help wanting to know exactly what this health issue was i.e. was it diabetes? :-/ I know people die every year from flu and I've obviously survived that before, but I'm still concerned...
Reply 78
Its mostly elderly that die I should imagine, no need for anyone on here to worry.
I'm worried because I have TB!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending