Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I knew someone who had it.

Doesn't really bother me, she was on antibiotics for a couple of weeks and is now fit as a fiddle.

ReputationRep:
    the girls school near me went to zante and 5 of my friends there came back with swine flu.

ReputationRep:
    I have swine flu. Everyone in my department at work has swine flu. I passed it onto my mum, my brother and my sister. It really isn't as bad as normal flu, I felt like I was dying for two days, and the rest it wasn't so bad.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    No-one I know personally has had it*, but 3 or 4 of the schools in my area shut for a week or two because people got it. I'm not overly fussed. I don't think it's a laughing matter but I don't think it's the Black Death mk II either. I'm quite keen not to get it, though, as with normal flu, because my asthma flares up like hell for weeks afterwards and my crappy immune system opens the doors for other bugs whenever I get it.

*EDIT: Spoke too soon, it turns out my uncle has it.

ReputationRep:
    one of my close friends has it, the odd thing is that she caught it on holiday with the girls and is the only one to have it.

ReputationRep:
    There have been a lot of cases, confirmed and suspected but only 7 people in the UK have died from it and I think all of those have had underlying symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Just heard - 65,000 people could die from it - this year alone!!

Anyone else panicking? . .
    That's the maximum number predicted. People die from seasonal flu every year.

ReputationRep:
    One of the guys in my wife's team at work was sent home with it today as it happens, I suspect that we might have given it to him. The girls and I were all on a course of antibiotics for a week, with high temperatures, etc... a couple of weeks ago.

Either way I'm not too concerned about it, but obviously if either of the girls gets a high temperature for more than 24hrs I'll get somewhat concerned. Luckily we already have a digital thermometer at home, but I must stock up on Lemsip and Calpol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Its mostly elderly that die I should imagine, no need for anyone on here to worry.
    And the young, don't forget the young. :yes:

But on topic, I'm completely fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't personally know anyone with swine flu and I feel like there are mixed opinions about swine flu. First you hear that the world is doomed, then the politicians try to calm everyone down by saying there's vaccine for everyone, then again the WHO director says the vaccine is going to be ready in months to come.

Very frankly, giving vaccines any time after November is going to be useless. It takes at least a couple of weeks for the vaccine to create immunity in the body and I don't know how much time is left while we can walk around not getting swine flu. I was also wondering whether people will choose to go abroad this holiday, just for the sake of avoiding to get swine flu.

It's a mess, and it seems that it's only going to be afterwards that we'll really know what the situation looks like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Its mostly elderly that die I should imagine, no need for anyone on here to worry.
    According to the Independent it's mostly 5-14 year olds who have been infected and as a result there's a higher percentage of fatalities :yep:
    Old people are among the least affected, compared to ordinary flu.

My best friend's little sister has it :erm: And loads of people at my mum's work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    You don't understand the truth.
    Care to enlighten me then?

ReputationRep:
    I know 2 people with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    Lol that I've been neg repped for telling the truth.
    your sigs hilarious. which website did you get it from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    Agreed.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    ive been commuting in the tube and train for 3 weeks and people have been coughing/sneezing (few times someone coughed in my bloody face lol)...isn't it likely at least a few of them had swine flu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatnikkidid)
    There have been a lot of cases, confirmed and suspected but only 7 people in the UK have died from it and I think all of those have had underlying symptoms.
    its risen to 29 deaths in britain now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannmerriott)
    its risen to 29 deaths in britain now
    I know that it is on the rise, but I don't think people need to panic about it because in most cases it isn't serious.

Also, if anyone is worried that they've caught swine flu off someone: if you haven't experienced any syptoms after 48 hours of coming into contact with someone who has it then you haven't got it.

I'm currently working part time for an occupational health company who provide businesses with Tamiflu (the anti-viral drug they're giving to people with swine flu) for their employees, so if anyone has any questions, I might be able to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin and my god-daughter both have swine flu :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I presume you mean that you think it won't affect the otherwise healthy population? I would suggest that some further reading may be in order.
    it will affect, its more to do with the death so far, yes a few death have affect healthy people

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.