Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

65,000 out of over 60,000,000.

Oh... my... god. By this time next year, all but 99.9% of us will be dead! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's in my tiny school town and spreading like wild fire atm and it surprised a lot of people when they realised it wasn't just old people or those with weaker immune systems getting it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as a friend of mine with very serious underlying health conditions which frequently hospitalise her anyway survived a bout of swine flu, I'm not exactly quaking in my boots over it. I'm concerned, yes, but I'm not going to freak out.

ReputationRep:
    Today in the morning in the news they said that three citizens finally brought swine-flu to my country.They all were tourists:two girls returned from Cyprus,and one man returned from Tailand.

ReputationRep:
    I got swine flu
    OOOoooh !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatnikkidid)
    I know that it is on the rise, but I don't think people need to panic about it because in most cases it isn't serious.

Also, if anyone is worried that they've caught swine flu off someone: if you haven't experienced any syptoms after 48 hours of coming into contact with someone who has it then you haven't got it.

I'm currently working part time for an occupational health company who provide businesses with Tamiflu (the anti-viral drug they're giving to people with swine flu) for their employees, so if anyone has any questions, I might be able to answer them.
    yeaa I know that because my mam has got it now and has had it for over a week and I haven't had any symptoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK_91)
    All my family has had it - normal flu is worse
    How did you get it diagnosed, because if they didn't test you in person and only gave you a phone consultation you can never be sure if you really did have swine flu or just some cough. What were your symptoms? Do any of you family have asthma?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really scard not just for me but for my family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    :facepalm:
    Elaborate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    It's going to be terrible this winter... particularly around Freshers week. The amount of people who just catch flu is really high. I hope I'm not going to get affected by swine flu.
    people don't catch flu during freshers week, they catch a cold...

ReputationRep:
    I just got a quick question - correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they now diagnosing swine flu just based on symptoms? If so, does that mean that people may just have normal flu, and therefore the ratio of people who get swine flu and then die could be a lot higher?
    I dont know if that even makes sense lol sorry

ReputationRep:
    i know about 3 people who have had it. all of them survived and all of them said it was no worse than a normal cough/cold combination.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite worried actually. No one has said that swine flu in its current form is deadly. I am not worried about it as it is, but rather what it can/will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Just heard - 65,000 people could die from it - this year alone!!

Anyone else panicking? . .
    they slipped in on the news today that they are examining worst case scenarios. So that many people COULD die, but thats the worst they reckon it'll be. It's too much panic. I know two people who had it, and presumably their families have had symptoms/been carriers, and they were fine after a few days. When someone I know dies, I'll worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    They said that the 65,000 figure was based on models and predictions based on previous flu epidemics in the UK.

So it takes in to consideration the large numbers of elderly and ill people who tend to contract flu. Yet this swine flu does not tend to be affecting the eldery too much and so changes are fewer of them will get it and fewer elderly people will dye from it meaning the likley number of deaths will be much lower than the upper level of 65,000 predicted.

Isn't the lower level at 19,000 people? And don't somewhere between 5,000 and 15,000 people die from flu in usual years? So considering this is a enw strain of flu, meaning more people are likley to get it this year, then even double the number of deaths in a normal year isn't too bad.

Still, even if it was 40,000, that is still 40,000. The number of people that die from normal flu is still there too.

Also, normal flu kills old people, swine flu kills people that are young.

ReputationRep:
    i just had surgery! (Scoliosis surgery) and they took out my rib and i JUST learnt how to breathe without hurting my ribs and i coughed ONCE after my surgery and it KILLED!!!! imagine how bad it would be for me to get the flu NOW
    although if i was normal i'd want it now rather than the winter...

ReputationRep:
    My cousin had it, but he got over it fine.

I'm not worrying about it too much yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even mildly worried.

I think we're all getting so caught up worrying about swine flu that we're ignoring the greater problem. The terrifying illness that will claim us all. Something so awful that the merest utterance of the word sends a chill down the collective spine of every nation on this planet. I'm talking, of course, about Avian SARSpox. Dun... dun... DEEEEERRR!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    already had it got it at glastonbury lol
    it wasn't as bad as people made out...i was only really ill for 2 days, the rest of the time was just a saw throut, cough, aches and hot, which sounds quite bad but it was ok!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.