Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, I have looked at some exam papers for the last year as I know someone who has been blogging and he said that he messed up the third year. Anyway, the exam papers look impossible.

I was wondering how much work do you have to do? whats the workload?

As I read that for every lecture you should put in two hours of study. But then if your studying 6 subjects 24 hours, assuming you have two lectures a week on it. Or even read that you should be studying maths independently for five hours a day?:o:

How much independent study i.e. outside lectures should you do? five hours?, four?!?

P.S. The first year is worth little but then the degree is based on exam papers that look impossible.

People say that FM would look hard if you didn't have GCSE maths. But, they would look the same to me. I wouldn't associate maths with words more like equations, but its just words I can't understand and equations that look alien.

Although, saying that if someone did have GCSE maths did C1 and abit of C2 then FM wouldn't look so hard. I guess if you have done first and second year of uni then third and fourth year wouldn't look so hard.

ReputationRep:
    The general recommendation is one hour of private study per hour of lectures, although in early years at least you can get away with much less than this.
    Uni maths is really not that difficult - it's certainly not impossible, many thousands of people graduate with good maths degrees each year. The work is presented to you in an easy to understand way, you are given plenty of time to practice before the exam, and most exam questions are similar to questions you have attempted before.

You'll be fine .

James

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni, my girlfriend studies maths here at Cambridge...She doesnt do as much as she should, which is around 4-5 hours per day. I study Physics, and did Maths and FM in A Level and got A's. We're both first years, and I cannot begin to comprehend the stuff she has to do, the questions i can understand i have no idea where to start.

On the other hand. My friend who studies maths at Lincoln University does almost no private study outside of class. (Also first year), I've looked at some of his questions, and they're on the same level as A-lvl FM.

Really depends on the uni, maths is a hard subject.

1st year Mathmos at cambridge get 12 lectures per week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plutoniummatt)
    On the other hand. My friend who studies maths at Lincoln University does almost no private study outside of class. (Also first year), I've looked at some of his questions, and they're on the same level as A-lvl FM.
    Still fairly impressive though, when you take into account that Lincoln doesn't actually have a maths course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrShifty)
    Still fairly impressive though, when you take into account that Lincoln doesn't actually have a maths course.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Anyway, I have looked at some exam papers for the last year as I know someone who has been blogging and he said that he messed up the third year. Anyway, the exam papers look impossible.
    The exam papers for topics that you haven't studied yet are always going to look impossible, aren't they

I get the same feeling every year - as the beginning, I look at a few past papers, and they look impossible. By the end of the year, when the course is over, they look pretty easy.

I was wondering how much work do you have to do? whats the workload?
    I've only just finished my first year - but for me personally, it has been 12 hours of lectures per week, two hours of small-group tutorial per week, and two hour of "private study" per day (mostly just doing the problem sheets).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrShifty)
    My bad.

Bishop Grostest (in Lincoln) or however the hell you spell it....He's doing maths with education or something like that to become a teacher/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plutoniummatt)
    My bad.

Bishop Grostest (in Lincoln) or however the hell you spell it....He's doing maths with education or something like that to become a teacher/
    To be fair you don't need more then FM to become an A level teacher. Also, if your aiming for GCSE or lower then you don't really need to stuff like Analysis.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    The exam papers for topics that you haven't studied yet are always going to look impossible, aren't they

I get the same feeling every year - as the beginning, I look at a few past papers, and they look impossible. By the end of the year, when the course is over, they look pretty easy.
    Yeah. But, if you look at first year stuff its doesn't seem impossible. Actually alot of it is seen in FM but with proofs.

I hope so.

(Original post by M_E_X)
    The general recommendation is one hour of private study per hour of lectures, although in early years at least you can get away with much less than this.
    Isn't that alot. I thought your meant to aim for 45 hours of study a week?

ReputationRep:
    Would have thought 45 was a lot to be honest.

With around 12 hours of lectures a week, that means another 12 hours of private study. So that's 24... Obviously this isn't including other time spent working such as doing group tutorials and whatnot.

I wrote down what Imperial expected you to do in total per week, I'll post it if I find it. Well, guidelines rather than expectations but, ya'know.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry me *****, you're gonna do fine at manc after having a foundation year or w/e you're doing at thames valley.

i don't know anyone at warwick who does more than 4 hours independent study a week and everyone got firsts so it's fine.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You don't "aim" for anything - you do whatever is necessary to understand the material you're given and answer the questions that you're set.

There is absolutely no point in worrying about this until you actually turn up at university. Once you're there you'll work out whether the material is easy to comprehend or whether you need to devote additional time to understanding it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    i don't know anyone at warwick who does more than 4 hours independent study a week and everyone got firsts so it's fine.
    So Dr Mario's advice of 30 hours of independent studt a week for a first is, um, excessive, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    So Dr Mario's advice of 30 hours of independent studt a week for a first is, um, excessive, then?
    beyond excessive, doing 30 hours a month would get you a first.

eaazzzzyyy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    Second year is going to hit you hard mate (statistically you'll be dropping down by 10%) so get those independent study hours up. I know a number of people who got firsts in their first year and ended up with 2.2 overall because they ****** around too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    Second year is going to hit you hard mate (statistically you'll be dropping down by 10%) so get those independent study hours up. I know a number of people who got firsts in their first year and ended up with 2.2 overall because they ****** around too much.
    yah, i was talking about the first year. of course i'm going to work harder next year no campus all the time

ReputationRep:
    I've been an incredibly lazy dastard for three years, grades have been slipping but only by 3% each year and I'm still on a high 2:1 average. Pretty confident I can get a first with an extra ~5 hours work per week next year.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but it seems I might have to work harder then everyone else. See I'm pretty sure FM will be a B but thats not that bad as all I need is a B in it. D1 and FP2 is probably the subject that brought me down from a A to a B.

I seem to make lots of stupid mistakes. I don't know how to correct this. Luckly, when the problems gets more conceptual then I will stop making mistakes, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, I find it really hard and work really bloody hard. I am at Bath where it is bloody hard, but I got so down in my first year. I just was so depressed due to it being so hard
    HOWEVER
    with my hard work I did end up gettting a first at the end of the first year, so if I had worked less hard then I reckon I still may have passed with a 2:2 or even a 2:1.
    Although I am still so so scared that I am going to fail my 2nd year due to it getting harder, it makes me very scared and makes me sort of not want to go back....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.