Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many people bothered about there Height? watch

ReputationRep:
    A previous thread has prompted me to make this one.

Why do Girls especially care and think they're too tall and why with guys is it the opposite with them asking if they are too small.

It annoys me that a girl can be as small as she likes but when they seem to cross a certain psychological threshold they're considered freaks and seem to lose all there self confidence.

It annoys me that guys can be as tall as they like but there is the same if not as strong psychological threshold that makes them feel less of a man if a girl is taller than them.

What gives really.

I'm 6ft 9 and I couldn't care less, sure I get both positive and negative attention but I wouldn't change being me for the world.

I just want to know why these harsh generalisations seem to exist

Personally if your 6ft+ your girlfriend/marriage material providing some other minor criterion are met :P

Love to hear your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6'3". I love my height.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    If everyone had your sense of gratitude for what you have given then no one would be bothered about the shape of their noses, the size of their breasts, the little strange nicks and scars they have on their body.

People are insecure, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)

Why do Girls especially care and think they're too tall and why with guys is it the opposite with them asking if they are too small.

It annoys me that a girl can be as small as she likes but when they seem to cross a certain psychological threshold they're considered freaks and seem to lose all there self confidence.

It annoys me that guys can be as tall as they like but there is the same if not as strong psychological threshold that makes them feel less of a man if a girl is taller than them.

What gives really.

I'm 6ft 9 and I couldn't care less, sure I get both positive and negative attention but I wouldn't change being me for the world.

Personally if your 6ft+ your girlfriend/marriage material providing some other minor criterion are met :P

You just proved the point why people are bothered about their height. This thread is flawed now...

ReputationRep:
    I agree - I don't like it when people lose confidence over their height, especially when it's something minor like "omg all my friends are 5'7 and im 5'10, what can I do to shrink?!".

But if someones really tall or really small and it makes them noticable/stand out, then yeah they can moan for a bit. But either way, nothing can be done about it and at the end of the day, people are going to like you for your personality (or looks) and not whether you're 2 inches below average height wise. Most people anyway.

Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    If everyone had your sense of gratitude for what you have given then no one would be bothered about the shape of their noses, the size of their breasts, the little strange nicks and scars they have on their body.

People are insecure, simple as.
    I'm insecure.... Just not about my height.

Size of my breasts, yes that's a real problem unfortunately :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    You just proved the point why people are bothered about their height. This thread is flawed now...
    Your flawed, don't make me whoop out a can of your mother jokes on you :mad:

LOL!

ReputationRep:
    I don't care how high I am or anyone else.

Except midgets.
    They're funny.

ReputationRep:
    No but I'm being serious, the girls who are like 6ft are usually really clever but really timid too!

Strange..

Strange I haven't ever hooked up with one either.

My record, 5ft 5 a whole foot and 4 inches smaller.

Yes I bent down alot!

ReputationRep:

What gives really.

I disagree completely with the bit bolded. I'm 2 feet shorter than you (4ft9) therefore, this is probably considered alot less attractive than if i was say, 5ft6. I get comments about my height constantly, as i'm sure you do too? I'm bothered about my height because other people seem to be. I don't care really, but it's other people that do.
    Being 4ft9 has been quite a big issue in my life, however in recent times i have overcome previous issues i did have. I enjoy the attention i get, and any remarks/banter is usually reciprocated back to them, usually me out-smarting them because their comments are so predictable.
    However, as i said in a previous thread, i get extremely annoyed with threads asking what is too tall/too short. Height is a factor we can't control, do you think i asked to be 4ft9? I know that no guy would put as one of their preferences 4ft9 as their idea height for their partner but i can't change this, and if they liked me enough, then they'd accept that i was many inches below their preference. Same if a girl was 6ft1, a guy should accept she is this tall, height shouldnt be a factor in a relationship, but it seems today it is...

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'10 and I don't really care.

Although, sometimes just sometimes, I wish I could say I am 6'0 but that at worst.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'3-5'4, and I sometimes wish I could be taller. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:

I'm 6ft 9 and I couldn't care less.
    yummy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartofglass)
    I disagree completely with the bit bolded. I'm 2 feet shorter than you (4ft9) therefore, this is probably considered alot less unattractive than if i was say, 5ft6. I get comments about my height constantly, as i'm sure you do too? I'm bothered about my height because other people seem to be. I don't care really, but it's other people that do.
    Being 4ft9 has been quite a big issue in my life, however in recent times i have overcome previous issues i did have. I enjoy the attention i get, and any remarks/banter is usually reciprocated back to them, usually me out-smarting them because their comments are so predictable.
    However, as i said in a previous thread, i get extremely annoyed with threads asking what is too tall/too short. Height is a factor we can't control, do you think i asked to be 4ft9? I know that no guy would put as one of their preferences 4ft9 as their idea height for their partner but i can't change this, and if they liked me enough, then they'd accept that i was many inches below their preference. Same if a girl was 6ft1, a guy should accept she is this tall, height shouldnt be a factor in a relationship, but it seems today it is...
    Now there's a girl who understands the banter and the crack

-Have a sticker- I don't mean to be patronising there by the way! :/

Yeh well at least you don't have brain damage from hitting your head often and hard.

And stitches from a accident with your head and a plate glass window, above a door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkspiders)
    yummy :yep:
    You do keep popping up xD! :P

ReputationRep:
    As long as they are not taller than me then it's ok

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5"2, it's never bothered me, then again, it seems mostly tall guys, like six foot plus, tend to go for me . Oh well, just means my feet get slaughtered on dates :p:

ReputationRep:
    im 5ft9! and ive been told sooo many times that im 'too tall' for a girl! but i love my height! and i have girl friends that are taller and some that are much shorter!
    if you dont love your self then who is??
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    I'm 5'3-5'4, and I sometimes wish I could be taller. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i.../puppyeyes.gif
    Don't. I need people to look down on

ReputationRep:
    I think height is one of the least important things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.