Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I was thinking about the nasty relatives i have when i was on the train. I wondered if i should invite them to my wedding (if i'm going to have one) because they're "family"? Or should i just invide those that i like? These nasty ones are my dad's siblings so it's kinda hard to just cut them out of my life as they're part of my dad's life. And it'll be akward not to invite them while their other siblings were invited...

They're so nasty that no one in my family woud speak to them apart form my dad. My siblings and I just kinda say hi to some of them or just ignore some of them completely...

What would you do? Would you invite them to occations such as your birthday party?

Please keep anon or delete.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't invite people to something as important to me as a wedding just to keep everybody happy. It's your day, why not spend it with the people that make you happy?

(Original post by forever_dreamer)
    I wouldn't invite people to something as important to me as a wedding just to keep everybody happy. It's your day, why not spend it with the people that make you happy?
    Yeah i thought about that too. But i was just wonering if that's what other people would do too (only invite ppl we like) since it's my day.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't invite people I didn't like. I'm not close to any of my family tbh. My family to me is my parents, two out of my three brothers, and my nephew. I don't see why you're expected to like people just because they're family, you can't choose your family! :confused:

My view is if it is a family wedding then everyone gets invited - it wouldn't be a family event without all the hateful relatives there. If you are eloping to some sun kissed beach then just send them a postie saying glad you're not here

ReputationRep:
    Its your day, do whatever the **** you want! Invite a platoon of naked, dildo-juggling clowns if you want and no one can stop you.
    There is no reason why you should invite people to YOUR special day, of whom you don't even want in your vicinity.

(Original post by JCM89)
    My view is if it is a family wedding then everyone gets invited - it wouldn't be a family event without all the hateful relatives there. If you are eloping to some sun kissed beach then just send them a postie saying glad you're not here
    i rather save up the money and get some sweeties...

ReputationRep:
    I probably would invite them cause I couln't be bothered with the family arguing because the never got invited.
    Besides if you invite them then they may be an arguement, no weddings complete without a family brawl.

ReputationRep:
    Your wedding will be more than your day: It will set the tone for the rest of your LIFE. I'd invite only those people who mean alot to YOU and your betrothed, people who have been supportive of you but importantly, people who will figure in your future together. The losers, parasites, nasties - including jealous relatives - don't invite them; they'll just bring you down and try to sabotage/rain on your Big Day. If these people are your Dad's faves, let him invite them to his parties and events, not yours. It's your life. We had the same thing happen in our family and my cousin blew them all off and invited exactly who he and his wife wanted there - which gave the uninvited something to fume about. He said all his life they were nasty and showed over and over they didn't care about his feelings so why should he care about theirs. There were over 250 people at the wedding and it was fantastic.

Same here, my fathers mother is horrrible! noone speaks to her, i see her up the local now and again drunk crying to me...was odd. i thought whether i should invite her to my wedding becuase she is my nan but then again noone likes her..including me (she isnt like a normal cute chubby nan she is only like 60 skinny and a horrible horrible alcky!) im lucky cos my sister got married first and didnt invite her so now its not so bad if i dont invite her to mine :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.