Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    okay, so I have a HCA (health care assistant) job interview next week, I would like the job cos it pays really well and im desperately in need of the money but im also worried about swine flu.... :/

I know its similar to any other flu but im just scared cos of the way the medias hyped it and the deaths and stuff.. advice?

If it scares you that much you are probably not cut out to do HCA work. Maybe look for something else.

ReputationRep:
    if you're worried about catching something as a HCA don't do it, you WILL get sick and get all sorts of bugs for the first year, as you're around a lot of people who are ill, for some reason whenever i work 3 12hr night shifts in a row i seem to always end up with a cold lol

Swine flu isn't a big deal, its being dealt well atm, and the NHS are protecting their staff, you will be treated well and protected

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
    the NHS are protecting their staff, you will be treated well and protected
    assuming the HCA job is in the NHS and not a nursing home...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    yep, NHS.

I've been working as a bank staff for a year, but am considering switching to permanent as I'm on a gap year now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)

well ofcourse, but most (decent) nursing homes will protect you too, plus whenever you suspect you have it they will give you tamiflu when you mention you're a h/care worker, i know i was, when i rang up my GP before they even asked me my symptoms, they said any cold like symptoms im having i'll get tamiflu as im working in healthcare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eden01)
    yep, NHS.

I've been working as a bank staff for a year, but am considering switching to permanent as I'm on a gap year now.

then you'd know its not a big deal right now as the media is making out, most people are at home suffering, and not in hospitals yet

BUT if this does end up in the hospitals, there are relevant policies, procedures for protecting the staff

ReputationRep:
    The NHS has a good occupatinal health service so they will help you. When I worked in a hospital I was always catching bugs. I wouldnt worry its very clean in most hospitals so you will be fine.

(Original post by Eden01)
    yep, NHS.

If you've done it before, you know what it is like... but seriously, if it is worrying you then don't do it.

when i rang up my GP before they even asked me my symptoms, they said any cold like symptoms im having i'll get tamiflu as im working in healthcare
    Same here but I wouldn't take it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    If you've done it before, you know what it is like... but seriously, if it is worrying you then don't do it.

Same here but I wouldn't take it...

well i had to take it as unfortunately or fortunately..lol i had it

ReputationRep:
    if you're worried about catching something as a HCA don't do it, you WILL get sick and get all sorts of bugs for the first year, as you're around a lot of people who are ill, for some reason whenever i work 3 12hr night shifts in a row i seem to always end up with a cold lol
    I was a HCA for 4 years on a busy surgical ward and followed the correct infection control procedures and never caught anything work related.

The only concern was an increased risk of MRSA for my GF when she had an operation.

well i had to take it as unfortunately or fortunately..lol i had it
    You don't have to take it... I certainly won't if / when I get it. I know someone with kidney failure as a result of it - I'd rather take my chances with flu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    You don't have to take it... I certainly won't if / when I get it. I know someone with kidney failure as a result of it - I'd rather take my chances with flu.

blimey, i felt really sick the first day i took it, but tbh i was desperate to get back to uni and work, and hated being stuck in, i felt rubbish yes..but usually when ill i get on with it unless i really can't move!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogger71)
    I was a HCA for 4 years on a busy surgical ward and followed the correct infection control procedures and never caught anything work related.

The only concern was an increased risk of MRSA for my GF when she had an operation.
    ive never got anything work related, like mrsa..cdiff, bugs etc, just little sniffles, or a stomach bug etc, I follow the infection control procedures, to the best of my ability (as unfortunately in some circumstances its hard to do, ie when a patient suddenly vomits on you lol)

Im with an agency and work on many different areas, so that may be why, plus we were told when i started my course, to expect to get the odd cold/bug a bit more than usual in the first year

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.