Turn on thread page Beta

Seeing Psychiatrist watch

ReputationRep:
    I am seeing a psychiatrist on moday for the first time, for a medication change and diagnosis.

can anyone with expierence tell me what happens, ie to change the medication>? Does he give me the presciption script, or post a letter to the gp, or give me a letter to hand to gp?

thanks

(panicking)

Any of the above....

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but wahts more liekly, what has happened to other people

ReputationRep:
    A psychiatrist is a doctor. He can give you a prescription after speaking with you. Or, he might speak with some other profressionals and then post you your prescription.

This is what they do at CAMHS, generally.

ReputationRep:
    My one hand writes me prescriptions, saying that, I don't see him any more.
    Then usually, your appointment info, including your new meds, will get passed to your GP in case you have a bad reaction or need some more before your next shrink appointment.
    Best of luck, they're really not that scary. Apart from mine, he wears socks WITH sandals!

ReputationRep:
    ive been thought cahms, unmedicated, andnow in adult services. i am on citalopram, but its not working, so im seeing him to see wat can be done.

What will most likely happen is that you fill in a questionnaire type thing rating your moods in certain things, you'll then discuss certain aspects of your life.

If you change medication, then you'll have to fill in a questionnaire each time, to see if there's a decrease/increase in parts of your life. It's all straight forward, and will benefit you and they make it easy to discuss anything. Chill.

ReputationRep:
    thanks you all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairygirl224)
    ive been thought cahms, unmedicated, andnow in adult services. i am on citalopram, but its not working, so im seeing him to see wat can be done.
    well usually with a change in medication it's not a case of him writing a letter to let you know what he's prescribing you - (or she) - he'll discuss with you the various options available and expect your input on what would suit you best. And then likely he will prescribe it to you there and then, and then send a letter to your GP detailing the outcome of the appointment.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    He will basically ask a lot of questions to try and work out what treatment you need.
    He could give you the prescription himself, it depends on their system. At my last two psych clinics they have only given me it themselves when they are giving me something new, but even then they usually wrote to my gp, who actually writes the prescription itself.
    Where I go now they fax the prescription to my gp, who signs it so I can just pick it up from the receptionist.
    Try not to worry too much, seeing a psychiatrist isn't as scary as it sounds.

ReputationRep:
    im terrified, partly from the diagnosis, partly from the side effects that the new tabes, whatever they may be, can cause

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairygirl224)
    im terrified, partly from the diagnosis, partly from the side effects that the new tabes, whatever they may be, can cause
    Try not to worry too much. There are things they can do for some side-effects, and you may even be lucky and not get too many of the bad ones. Think positively, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    My psychiatrist writes out a prescription and hands it to me, then writes to my GP to inform them of medication changes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mine spoke with my neurologist, who gave me my meds.

(Bipolarity and epilepsy often go hand in hand, and both mine are treated with the same drug)

ReputationRep:
    May give you a script, and a letter for your doctor, telling them what they've done, and giving them the say-so to prescribe the pills from when the script runs out. THey usually talk a lot, and try and find stuff out about you, and why you're there, and things that have happened. Can be quite emotional, so plan a good thing to do after (even if it's buying a cake)

ReputationRep:
    If is the very first time then expect to be asked a lot of questions (one sec..let me get a copy of my psych report)

right to break it down this is what to expect when you go:
    History Of Presenting Problem-you tell them how long you've been feeling this way, if you've felt like this before, symptoms etc
    Past Psychiatric History-this bit is where of you've had treatment for your mental health before you tell them about it
    Drug and Alcohol History- do you use recreational drugs? how much booze do you drink? are you on any prescription drugs
    Forensic History-i think this is if you've ever been in trouble with the law/been involved in a crime etc
    Physical Health-do you have any other concerns bout your health, being overweight/diabetes/migraines/etcetc
    Family History-describe your relationship with your family and anything significant growing up
    Personal History-any abuse would be mentioned here, otherwise just what you were like as a kid and if anything happened when you were growing up (bullying etc) and also current and past relationships.
    Presentation In Clinic-the psych will make comments on how you presented to them (healthy/malnourished, clean/dirty etc)
    Opinion and Care Plan-this is just where the psych says what in their opinion your diagnosis is and what treatment plan is best. They will discuss this with you near the end of the session.

A letter containing all of the above will be sent to your GP (and you if you request a copy). If they prescribe a certain drug i think you then get it from your GP (i did with my Trazadone)

hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I have been switched to Prozac, for 4 weeks trial. He gave me a letter to hand to GP in 3 days time when I next see her, and is sending a full report later. I see him again in 4/5 weeks time.

ReputationRep:
    Glad it went ok for you Did you ask for copy of the report?

ReputationRep:
    i think he is sending it to me

ReputationRep:
    yeah got a copy today

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.