Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was wondering, seeing as Cam is my main choice, if it was smart to enlist only Cambridge in the UCAS form? Also, does it improve my chances of getting in, because I am willing to take the risk of failing?

Also, I am kind of getting a feel that the PS should be aimed at a specific university rather than universities in general... Opinions about this would be highly appreciated.

In my case, I was thinking to apply only for Cambridge, and set it as the main goal in my PS.

Thanks for help,
    Vidak

ReputationRep:
    Your PS is more about the subject you want to study, not where you want to study.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Vidak)
    Hey,

I was wondering, seeing as Cam is my main choice, if it was smart to enlist only Cambridge in the UCAS form? Also, does it improve my chances of getting in, because I am willing to take the risk of failing?

Also, I am kind of getting a feel that the PS should be aimed at a specific university rather than universities in general... Opinions about this would be highly appreciated.

In my case, I was thinking to apply only for Cambridge, and set it as the main goal in my PS.

Thanks for help,
    Vidak
    No no no! Applying only to Cambridge won't help you at all, they don't think like that. And the PS doesn't have to be aimed at a specific university. You get to write an extra PS for Cambridge in the extra questionnaire they send you.

Cambridge is not the only university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vidak)
    Hey,

Thanks for help,
    Vidak
    yeah baby.

ReputationRep:
    No No No NO

No it is not smart to only put down Cambridge - many many perfectly decent applicants fail to get through, then you won't have a university to go to
    No it doesn't improve chances - because the universities can't see which other universities you've applied too - they won't even know they're your only choice - even if they could they probably wouldn't be influenced by it
    No the PS should no be aimed at the specific university - all universities will see it and you want to appeal to as many as possible - they're interested in you being a good candidate who is academically able, a well-rounded person, articulate and extremely interested in your subject. They don't care how much you want to go. Most people applying to Cambridge will really want to go there.

Seriously, don't just apply to Cambridge, or even mention the university in your PS.

Cambridge has a Supplementary Application Questionnaire, through which you can provide additional information as to why you want to apply to Cambridge etc.

It sounds like a ****ing ridiculous idea, if you ask me.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You're making a massive mistake if you do that.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge doesn't even emphasis on PS that much.

Are you one of those person who would have a mental breakdown if cambridge reject you? If no, then it is not smart to enlist only Cambridge in the UCAS form. Cambridge doesn't know where else you applied.

ReputationRep:
    What you are thinking of doing definitely worked for some people I know, so I would thoroughly recommend it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by becbec :))
    No No No NO
    Haha you beat me on NOs! That's seven no's OP, from 2 people. Get the message?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Hell no!

1. Unis don't know how many unis you've applied to, or how many other unis you've applied to, so putting only Cambridge has no advantage
    2. The SAQ form has an additional personal statement section, so if you want to put in anything specific to Cambridge do so there and not in your PS

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who only put down Cambridge, but then she was applying differed so had the opportunity to go through it all again if she needed to.

I would have to say it doesn't seem like the best idea though

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I did it this year with the intention of applying again next year if I failed, and it worked pretty well for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vidak)
    Your personal statement should be aimed at a specific subject; not a specific university.

If you only want to apply to Cambridge, there's no point in applying to any others.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Vidak)
    Hey,

Thanks for help,
    Vidak
    You realise that Universities cannot see which other Universities you did or did not apply to. Thus they would not be impressed by you applying just to them. In fact, they'd probably think you were an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    Cambridge has a Supplementary Application Questionnaire, through which you can provide additional information as to why you want to apply to Cambridge etc.
    Do they still issue these? I'm a bit confused after they dropped CAF and all :hmmmm:

SAQ was very handy.

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    Do they still issue these? I'm a bit confused after they dropped CAF and all :hmmmm:

SAQ was very handy.
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...apply/saq.html , apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...apply/saq.html , apparently.
    Good to know

ReputationRep:
    Well, thanks for help everyone. It's nice how everyone looks forward to helping you around here

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.