The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Vidak
Well, thanks for help everyone. :smile: It's nice how everyone looks forward to helping you around here :smile:

Yep, no matter how arrogant they may sound sometimes they always have an opinion. I agree though, don't base your future solely on getting into Cambridge, I don't imagine your school would agree either. They don't know who else you applied to; but if they did they may see it as over confident or arrogant... they may see it as brave but you won't know.
Reply 22
Yeh they still do the SAQ but an online version :smile:
Reply 23
Vidak
Well, thanks for help everyone. :smile: It's nice how everyone looks forward to helping you around here :smile:

People always help me, so I like to help when possible! Not everyone is always helpful, though. What are you going to do?
Reply 24
The OP seems like an international, maybe they don't want to study here unless it is at Cambridge...
Fail...
Reply 26

Really interesting article (although I had heard rumour of this).

Still, I'm glad I put effort into mine as it got me in everywhere else I applied without interview, which was definitely worth it.
Reply 27
fumblewomble
If people want to know about Cambridge and personal statements, read what Cambridge say (http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/info/news.html) not what the press say.

Yep. And not only that, but although the PS might not play a role in your offer (which, frankly, it shouldn't if you're interviewed as well), interviewers do look at it as a means of finding a direction for the interview to go in. I had two different interviews and I was asked about the stuff I'd put in mine in both of them, and without that I don't think the interviews would have had much substance at all.
Reply 28
Each university you applied won't know where else you have applied.
whilst i personally think it is unwise to only apply to Cambridge, if you are a standard age student (and so applying in october for a decision in the new year), then only putting Cambridge won't adversely affect your application to other universities. UCAS allow you to further add to your choice list after you have submitted your application (up to your five choices). This will give you slightly longer to research back-up options for teh UCAS deadline in january.

However, I would advise you *not* to write your PS specific to Cambridge, but to be about you and your subject. Cambridge have the online SAQ for you to tell them why you love the course they offer, and why you love them.

Of course, you could have a first UCAS application which is only to Cambridge, and if you are one of the 5/6ths of people to be unsuccessful, you can always retract your UCAS application and start over (this will of course cost you about £28 in total, instead of the regular £17).

In short, it is your choice. But know what you are doing before hand. writing a PS specific to Cambridge is not neccessary, nor will it score you points. Only putting Cambridge for your UCAS choices is unwise, unless you're going to add extra choices later, or start-over with UCAS.

good luck.

Pixie x

Latest

Trending

Trending