Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered how many teaching hours people have at 6th form or college?
    I do 4 a levels and have 16 hours of lessons per week which i thought was normal, but i heard the other day from someone who goes to a good 6th form up the road that he had only 1 free hour period each week.
    Do i just go to a **** 6th form?

ReputationRep:
    When I start in September, I'll have 2 free periods one week and one free the next (2 week timetable). But, then, I'm going to be doing the IB... and it's a grammar school.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    At AS I had 22 hours of lessons per week (4 A-levels + GS + 'tutorial'), 1 hour of helping out in a lower school class and ½ hour of French oral practice (so 1½ hours of frees). At A2 I had 20 hours of lessons (4 A-levels) and 5 hours of frees. Basically, I got 5 hours of teaching per AS/A2.

ReputationRep:
    I had 9 hours for each of my 3 AS subjects. Then 2 for CT and 2 for GS. This is over a 2 week time table.

So that is 31 hours of teaching over 2 weeks, out of a possible 50 hour timetable.

I think we go to 10 or 11 hours per subject in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 hours for each subject and a one hour tutorial each week, but tutorial only ever lasts about 15 mins, so the maximum for me is 21 hours per week.

ReputationRep:
    At mine you have 36 hours of lessons per fortnight and 14 hours of frees. Although wednesday afternoon frees are filled with enrichment.

ReputationRep:
    At AS Level, I had 20 hours of teaching (4 hours per subject)

At A2 Level, I had 19.5 hours of teaching (a little under 5 hours per subject)

ReputationRep:
    We have 4 hours 40 minutes per subject, plus 1 hour 30 in tutorials each week, plus at least one compulsory enrichment during college hours, plus an optional music lesson of 30 minutes - so last year (AS) i managed to get about 2 lunches and 2 hours of free time, most of which was spent working. It'll be pretty much the same this year - plus an after-college tutorial for the AQA Bacc and a weekly meeting with my EPQ supervisor, but taking away some 'collapsed coursework lessons'. God our college has a strange timetable.

ReputationRep:
    At AS I had 42 hours of lessons and 8 frees, at A2 I'll have 36 hours of lessons and 14 frees over a two week timetable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becbec :))
    We have 4 hours 40 minutes per subject, plus 1 hour 30 in tutorials each week, plus at least one compulsory enrichment during college hours, plus an optional music lesson of 30 minutes - so last year (AS) i managed to get about 2 lunches and 2 hours of free time, most of which was spent working. It'll be pretty much the same this year - plus an after-college tutorial for the AQA Bacc and a weekly meeting with my EPQ supervisor, but taking away some 'collapsed coursework lessons'. God our college has a strange timetable.
    Wow... two free lunches? I think I'd prefer to kill myself! When do you eat???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxik_apple)
    Wow... two free lunches? I think I'd prefer to kill myself! When do you eat???
    Usually during lessons
    Or between lessons
    Or by using my secret time turner :cool:

ReputationRep:
    At my college it's 4½ hours per subject (3 * 1½ hour lessons) per week, so last year I had 18 hours of lessons not including tutorial and key skills, and 6 hours of free periods (but 3 of those hours were at the start or end of the day). For my A2s I'll have 13½ hours of lessons not including tutorial, and a lot more free periods by the looks of it!

ReputationRep:
    at my 6th form for most ASs we had 5 50 min lessons each week (further maths felt like being different so we only had 3 lessons a week), so i think i had about 8 or 9 frees per week for most of the year- of course right at the beginning and end i had more, as i didnt have citizenship lessons, and the foreign language assistants hadn't stolen 4 frees a fortnight... God knows what it'll be like next year though

ReputationRep:
    4 lessons per week per subject, and they're 1h 10 minutes each soooo....18h 20 min in total (? not sure of the maths there). 4h 40 of frees, but we have to do work, no actual free time. For A2 you get an extra 4 frees, if you drop a subject.

ReputationRep:
    At AS we have 5 one hour lessons per subject and 5 frees (for me:20 lessons)

At A2 we have 4 one hour lesson per subject and 13 frees (for me: 12 Lessons)

ReputationRep:
    9 hours per subject on a 2 week timetable (All of which are 3 hour (am) or 2 hour (pm) lessons)
    So at AS, its 36 hours of teaching. Or at A2, 27 hours of teaching (if you drop one)

General Studies/Enrichment is 5 hours over the 2 weeks

At AS, it's 9 hours of free periods per 2 week cycle, all of which are free mornings or afternoons.
    At A2, it's 18 if you drop one.

I think it seems pretty standard.

ReputationRep:
    No not necessarily, it sounds normal. I had at AS 18-19 hours a week of lessons on a two week rota. (It would be twenty though if I wasn't learning an undersubscribed subject.) Thats 6-7 hours of frees.
    At A-level I'll have 15 hours per week so 10 hours of frees.

ReputationRep:
    So putting all these 'hours per subject' into time of the day..would a typical AS student be expected to be at school Mon thru to Fri 9am until 230pm???

ReputationRep:
    My college is pretty good and I have 1 hour free period a week aswel. Good thing is that its last lesson on a Monday instead of between last lesson and first lesson, so thats an early finish.

I wish I had more but my week is just packed because I'm taking mandetory Critical Thinking alongside my other 4 AS subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I am at college monday and wednesday 9-4:30. Tue full day off. Thu: 2:15 till 4:30. And friday 9 -11:45...
    I'll let you do the maths lol. cat x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.