Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The idea of a mainstream against the alternative scenes. watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i called my younger cousin out for dressing like a girl for a laugh (indie, as they call it) and he replied by saying 'well you're conforming, you're mainstream'. And i was like 'wtf?'.

The way i look at it, people only become alternative as they are not accepted by the mainstream or don't feel they're getting their fair slice of the cake. If anything, people who are into alternative scenes do it out of necessity because of pragmatic notions of fitting in. So, if anything, he is conforming.

And if these alternative people want to really be pedantic, as a law student i'm going to be required to be in a couple of months, we all conform because if we didn't we won't be socially human.

So, why is my cousin such an oddball? Why does he and his mates wear girls jeans from TopShop? Why are bands like 'The ____' (i can't remember the ridiculous name of this indie band he always bangs on about with his mates) considered 'in' when no one else listens to them?

He's not the one that's odd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    He's not the one that's odd...

hmm ok, so you're basically agreeing with how it's now cool to wear girl's jeans. Jog on you ****** lover.

(Original post by Mr_Steve_Stifler)
    hmm ok, so you're basically agreeing with how it's now cool to wear girl's jeans. Jog on you ****** lover.
    Your cousin is happy being whoever he is and has like minded friends to share his life with. You are online whining. I'd say of the two of you, his life is in better shape than yours.

ReputationRep:
    What's so wrong with his fashion sense that makes it 'girly'?

Post examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Your cousin is happy being whoever he is and has like minded friends to share his life with. You are online whining. I'd say of the two of you, his life is in better shape than yours.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i called my younger cousin out for dressing like a girl for a laugh (indie, as they call it)
    Oh,
    You sure told him, bro.

Thing is, the proposed argument is exactly the same as the one pelted against goths at the beginning of the decade (and has probably been used way before that as well). Especially for teenagers, cliques are important to calibrate your social hierarchy. He probably didn't mean 'mainstream' as in 'EVERYONE DOES IT', but meant 'mainstream' as a social grouping.

ReputationRep:
    Logic fail + Personality fail.

ReputationRep:
    You're cousin can dress however the hell he wants.

For the record - all this sterotypes to do with clothes, music you listen to, main stream, alternative etc is ********. Do, dress and listen to whatever you want because you want to, not because of what anyone else has told you is right. /mini rant.

ReputationRep:
    I am probably gonna get flamed and neg repped by a bunch of 'alternative' people now but the way i see it, because so many people are now so called 'alternative', what was once known as alternative is now mainstream because it has become so common, so you are not mainstream, you're alternative because alternative is now mainstream and mainstream is now alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I am probably gonna get flamed and neg repped by a bunch of 'alternative' people now but the way i see it, because so many people are now so called 'alternative', what was once known as alternative is now mainstream because it has become so common, so you are not mainstream, you're alternative because alternative is now mainstream and mainstream is now alternative.
    Not really. There are just a plurality of alternatives. So mainstream hasn't become alternative, it's become just another alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Also OP, whatever "clique" you belong or don't belong to, your "dressing like a ******" spiel marks you out regardless as a prize ****, so well done.

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny when music is described as "alternative". Most of it is incredibly popular, and not in any way alternative. Unless you mean it's an alternative to less popular music.

ReputationRep:
    mainstream and alternative is a very thin line that many people cross. It certainly sounds like your cousin is conforming to the "outcasts" who are actually in fact fairly mainstream because there are a lot of them. Being truly alternative is to be a complete loner who dresses with a bucket on his face or something...aka a nutter. There's nothing wrong with conforming every now and again, but following ridiculous fashions like womanly jeans are not really my cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say mainstream is alternative, McFly are hardly likely to play an intimate venue because they can no longer fill out the massive arenas.

However, alternative is now definately under the mainstream bracket. Apart from Gothic, that's alternative but not really mainstream as it isn't really within the typical boundaries of society, whereas indies generally are these days.

ReputationRep:
    Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolls trolling trolls?

ReputationRep:
    funny how some people try to "be different" by being just the same as every other [insert label]

But really I think most people find something that floats their boat and roll with it.

ReputationRep:
    I guess conformity arises from insecurity and a weak sense of self, which are very common among teenagers. I just try to be myself. My girlfriend jokingly calls me a hipster because I listen to bizarre music most people have never heard of and wear skinny jeans but I do those things because they appeal to me personally, not because I have to in order to match a stereotype or fit into a group.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, exactly. Its so strange how people - even grown adults at times - are stuck into these notions of what is "mainstream" and what is "alternative". Most people I guess would stick me in the "indie" category based on how I dress and what I listen to. I recently had a 30-something year old woman tell me that me liking the Smiths and Oscar Wilde was "mainstream". Like it was some dirty word and meant to be such a horrible insult. I'm not trying to be different, or trying to be either mainstream or alternative. I like what I like....and that's that. People are so sad sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I dress pretty gothic and listen to metal cos I like it, simple as. All my friends dress and listen to mainstream stuff, so it's not because I don't fit in with mainstream culture or anything like that.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.