Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi; I'm looking to apply this Autumn for a Masters in Politics after I complete my undergraduate (Politics) degree in June 2010. Can anyone recommend any sites / books etc about constructing a decent personal statement? Does it bear much resemblance to the UCAS one at all?

ReputationRep:
    Postgrad statements are more focused on the subject you're interested in study, and don't have that "rounded student" nature to them like undergraduate statements have.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, that's what I thought. One thing that I'm having trouble finding is the required length of the statement; some of the topics on here are mentioning 800-1000 words, does that sound about right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CalumAH)
    Excellent, that's what I thought. One thing that I'm having trouble finding is the required length of the statement; some of the topics on here are mentioning 800-1000 words, does that sound about right?
    They're usually supposed to be roughly within that range, but it varies between departments, so you'd better check the guide to the application form to make sure what word limit applies to your application.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I'm applying to SOAS and LSE. Would anyone be so kind as to send me one of their personal statements at all? It doesn't have to be for the above university, but it would really assist me in preparing my own. I've searched this whole folder for personal statement information, and many people in previous topics did offer to send their statements at that time, but I feel uncomfortable asking 'out of the blue' as it were! So I would appreciate anyone here who could help me in this regard?

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted to do a masters but everyone I speak to strongly advises me not too. In law tho if that makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do one; I've had these two courses bookmarked since the start of my undergrad; I just want to get in!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.