Turn on thread page Beta

The iTunes rip off is back watch

ReputationRep:
    Why on Earth people still use iTunes is beyond me. There are plenty of decent online retailers that sell mp3 tracks for cheaper, and without all the stupid DRM hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    iTunes is trying to charge around £50 for the latest season of House in HD. Digital downloads are supposed to be more affordable because it cuts out the need for physical discs and covers and the transport and effort of retailers. It's ******** (rhymes with swollocks). I'd love not to get a warning point for that.

I hate Apple now, they're too much like Windows. They even charge for iPod Touch & iPhone firmware updates now! The cheek of it!
    I like this. They are being extortionate here as they are trying to make as much money as DVD sales even though they don't have to pay the extraordinary cost of licensing and manufacturing round pieces of plastic in shiny box sets.

iTunes are allowed to sell as many digital copies of a file as they want. They are paying money from the sales to whoever creates the file originally whilst making a huge profit themselves. Why am I not allowed to do this and iTunes are?

However much a rip-off Apple are, they are successful because their marketing is a hundred times more successful than that of any other computer company.

ReputationRep:
    There only punishing themselves and encouraging illegal downloads.
    You can get really good deals at like sainsburys etc thay let you downlard as many as you like for like £50 or £100 a year or so I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    I like this. They are being extortionate here as they are trying to make as much money as DVD sales even though they don't have to pay the extraordinary cost of licensing and manufacturing round pieces of plastic in shiny box sets.

iTunes are allowed to sell as many digital copies of a file as they want. They are paying money from the sales to whoever creates the file originally whilst making a huge profit themselves. Why am I not allowed to do this and iTunes are?

However much a rip-off Apple are, they are successful because their marketing is a hundred times more successful than that of any other computer company.
    Exactly. They could try to cite that storage on their servers cost a fortune, and that bandwidth to upload files to people is too expensive, BUT IT ISN'T. They're are profiting big time, even more so because of the 99p price tag for popular music, WTF?! It's $0.99 in the USA. Last time I checked £1 =/= $1. As always, the non-American market gets **** on.

I've ranted about this in a review on the latest House HD season, they never published the review. HAHA, *******.

ReputationRep:
    Even though the online music purchase market is quite mature, most labels seem to be kind of reluctant to fully embrace digital distribution. It's still often cheaper to buy CDs than to purchase full albums online, which is silly because you can rip those DRM free at any quality you like.

You would've thought since the cost of actually delivering a digital download is almost infinitesimal and recording doesn't really cost that much that it would be possible to sell for, say, £2.50 an album easily.

I'd kind of like to see the industry move towards a model where (at least big) labels don't exist - artists pay for studio time, and then sell digital downloads of their albums on the internet. I would imagine that you would be able to pay or give a % of sales to have your music appear on online music marketplaces, such as iTunes.

It'd be really interesting to see what happened without people being spoon fed music by the industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caaakeeey)
    Inflation is at 20%.
    25%.

ReputationRep:
    I would never pay a pound for a single song - it's ridiculous. Use play.com or amazon instead

ReputationRep:
    I dont use iTunes, but do you get a better deal for an entire CD? Coz 18 quid is swallocks (as someone said)

ReputationRep:
    Why people still use Itunes to buy music is beyond me, there are so many online retailers out there that sell music cheaper and DRM free.
    Only real advantage Itunes has at the moment is its large library which will hopefully be insignificant soon as Amazon and Play catch up.

ReputationRep:
    To all those mentioning DRM- I thought Apple got rid of that a year or two ago?

I haven't bought music in ages buy these prices do nothing but encourage music piracy. I'm guessing the only people who use iTunes, either haven't looked in other places where the can get the song for cheaper or for free, or the typical they've used it before and it was quick to download, easy to find, safe, etc so will keep using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    People are still paying for music?

disclaimer: I do not condone the illegal downloading of music from FREE file-sharing sites such as limewire
    For a start it isn't a site, its a file sharing tecnology which uses peer to peer (p2p), and is quite possibly the worst way to to download music. With alot of files being infected, some which will pass through antivirus.

There are better ways which are abit more old fashioned which I am not allowed to mention, but the IPlayer uses the same technology.

Edit: I should mention the only reason I am bringing this up is my sisters brand new laptop got obliterated by it recently.

ReputationRep:
    You music thieving *******s. I've told Bono and he is going to kick your cheap ******* head in. You've annoyed him now.

My problem with iTunes - Why does it cost more to download TV programs/series when you are not paying for any of the physical packaging?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tipitman)
    For a start it isn't a site, its a file sharing tecnology which uses peer to peer (p2p)
    Yes, the program itself is not a site but it can be obtained from a site.. why be so pedantic?

That's like me saying it's not tecnology, it's technology. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Buy it from a cheaper, better retailer like Play.com?
    This.

I really like the iTunes player, but I never use their store.

[I also don't buy their mp3 players.]

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the program itself is not a site but it can be obtained from a site.. why be so pedantic?

That's like me saying it's not tecnology, it's technology. :p:
    The point is, recommending it for most people will just end up with there computer running slow or it being broken, it would be much better to use say bit torrent. Stuff like user comments on a torrent add another layer of protection as well as other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tipitman)
    The point is, recommending it for most people will just end up with there computer running slow or it being broken, it would be much better to use say bit torrent. Stuff like user comments on a torrent add another layer of protection as well as other things.
    I wasn't aware I'd recommended it.. but fair enough

ReputationRep:
    People are still paying for music?

disclaimer: I do not condone the illegal downloading of music from FREE file-sharing sites such as limewire
    :yes: :cool: Although I suppose iTunes is at least cheaper than buying actual CD's
    I also do not condone the FREE and LESS LIKELY TO GIVE YOU VIRUSES and NOT REALLY ILLEGAL method of ripping off youtube

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    Yeh they are - I'm not going to pay a pound for a single track.
    20p is not really that big a deal. I don't buy much from itunes anyway :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Its cheaper to buy CDs, and with CDs if your pc decided it hates you and the hard drive fails, you will still have the music instead of it all disappearing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.